• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

Just from this run alone (about 12 good discs) there were at least 20 x outs. Gateway just cannot get the premium plastic dialed in on a consistent basis.

Jesus man. 12 good discs and 20 X-outs? Its a miracle you can even get Dave to run that plastic at all. If it were my business I know I wouldn't.

Got an ace today with a Fossil Scale! This is the very first disc I ever bought from RDG, which makes the ace that much more awesome IMO. I know it is April Fools Day...but I'm tellin' the truth...promise!!!

DkrSWHp.jpg

Aceing on April Fools should make it a very controversial story moving forward.

You needed more witnesses.

Hahaha, no joke! It was just my coworker and I out there today during lunch break. As soon as I hit it I told him that nobody would believe me because of the date. Oh well, what can ya do!

Hahaha, no joke! It was just my coworker and I out there today during lunch break. As soon as I hit it I told him that nobody would believe me because of the date. Oh well, what can ya do!

Congrats on the ace! I hit my first Scale ace on 3/30! I was playing Silver Lake in WI yesterday, and while we were backed up the guy behind my group asks if that's a scale poking out of my bag. I brought it out to show him, and he pulls out 2 tarpit Scales! First time either of us had seen someone using a Scale on the course!! Annnnnd now I need some tarpit Scales...those things feel amazing :thmbup:

Congrats on the ace! I hit my first Scale ace on 3/30! I was playing Silver Lake in WI yesterday, and while we were backed up the guy behind my group asks if that's a scale poking out of my bag. I brought it out to show him, and he pulls out 2 tarpit Scales! First time either of us had seen someone using a Scale on the course!! Annnnnd now I need some tarpit Scales...those things feel amazing :thmbup:

I'm currently sitting on 5 Tar Pits in varying wear and 1 Tar Pit/Eraser blend as they were switching plastics in the mold. They are absolutely fantastic! I would gobble up every Tar Pit I can find. (especially if they do a run of Serpents) It's a strange mix how the shoulders and rim are Fossil hard, yet the flight plate is almost an RFF type firmness. I love it.

Thanks! Congrats on your ace, too! Tar Pits sure do feel amazing. I have a couple of them that I snagged not too long ago. I don't use them as frequently as my Fossil first-runs, but they are definitely unique.

This weekend I used my Seafoam Scale a ton and it SHOWS. Still reliably OS, but ugly as ****. Just a word to the wise for my fellow Seafoam owners...they chip up easily.

Today I was throwing my Armor Flex Scale and it ks just fantastic. Might be my favorite of the frankly irresponsible amount of Scales I have. It has even less glide than a Fossil or Fossil Fuel Scale, but has a less overall stable flight. I could pop it up on a moderate amount of hyzer, and some height, and it would flip to flat and go straight for a good ways before fading out pretty hard. As far as Scales go it is unique...think a glideless Wizard.

Hits and sticks VERY WELL even on sloping hardpack. Great disc.

How many Aqua Blue (seafoam) SCALES are out there? and what plastic?

I think one run that was divided into two stampings. First stamping was oroboros, and then some got the newer craft stamp. They are Fossil Fuel, I'm guessing a couple hundred total.

My OG scale is glorious. Starting to get a little mangled in the rim and picking up some glide. My cycling scales experiment is actually gaining some steam. I don't need another ITB yet, but a couple of major tree whacks and I just may need another.

I am thinking about cycling Scales to replace the Serpent. I like the Serpent but I love the Scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird thing: I'm old so I have old people problems, one of them being arthritis in my right thumb. It doesn't bother me too much on low profile discs, but it's giving me fits with putters in general and Wizards in particular. I can't keep the pressure on top of the disc, so it slips out early and hyzers immediately. No driving Wizard=no fun playing disc golf. I was standing there last night in league after blowing the upshot AGAIN wondering what I was going to do when I noticed that my daughter had a Scale in her bag she swiped from me. I swiped it back. I'm not a doctor and have no idea what causes what, but the thumb down in the groove helped a lot. I was able to keep enough pressure on the top of the Scale to actually throw it.

I probably need to look at low profile putters from here on out, but the Scale is the early leader for new driving putter. I already have a few beat in.

Weird thing: I'm old so I have old people problems, one of them being arthritis in my right thumb. It doesn't bother me too much on low profile discs, but it's giving me fits with putters in general and Wizards in particular. I can't keep the pressure on top of the disc, so it slips out early and hyzers immediately. No driving Wizard=no fun playing disc golf. I was standing there last night in league after blowing the upshot AGAIN wondering what I was going to do when I noticed that my daughter had a Scale in her bag she swiped from me. I swiped it back. I'm not a doctor and have no idea what causes what, but the thumb down in the groove helped a lot. I was able to keep enough pressure on the top of the Scale to actually throw it.

I probably need to look at low profile putters from here on out, but the Scale is the early leader for new driving putter. I already have a few beat in.

Armor Scale, my friend. Best driving putter I've ever felt. Absolutely love those puppies! A little more glide than Fossil/Fuel Scales and they beat in slowly then hold onto that stability for ages! Love 'em!

First good sized Tourney of the summer is in the books for me - 97 entrants. I was able to rep RDG quite a bit and got a big response from my Serpent and 2x Scales I was bagging. Unfortunately, my putting was atrocious. I only made 2 putts outside of 20' in 48 holes! (yes, I was angry) I had been missing low a lot this spring, so I foolishly tried swapping putters to something with more glide about 10 days before this tournament. Terrible idea. I'm a moonbrain.

However, this is not why I'm bringing it up. This course is tightly wooded, with a lot of elevation change, narrow fairways, hard doglegs - both left to right and visa versa - and plenty of blind shots. I started bagging my Armor Flex Scale for a distance approach and driving putter that I could trust to hit and stick. Initially, I didn't like how soft the plastic was when I first received it, now I'd kill for 3-4 more. Same flight as my Tarpit and OG Scales that I'm used to bagging, but that gummy plastic grips the terra like no other! Off the tee, I parked 3 right to left blind doglegs both rounds. Bounced off the top of the cage on a 223' tunnel with a basket tucked up left. (Inches from the only ace in the tourney) From the woods, I could perfectly gauge distance, know exactly where the disc was going to fly, and it would eat the dirt and not move. For longer approaches, I could always trust it to fly as naturally to me as breathing, and in the wind... well, we all know. Scales are great for all these reasons. However, that Armor Flex was a bit of a revelation for me. It garnered a lot of attention as my driving and approach game was killer. However, switching to an unfamiliar putting putter with more glide was a foolish error and knocked me down a bunch of cards. I ended up losing about 16 strokes per 24 hole round just on bad putts. It was embarrassing. But, I kept a positive attitude, had a blast, and still was able to show of the utility of the Scale for driving and approaches. The Tarpit Scales are back in the bag for putting and next tourney, will actually be able to show the love RDG deserves!

Short little Hundred and Forty footer, but still counts...

Last week's leagues, I got CTP on hole 10 at Jaycee Park with a Scale laying against the pin. This week's leagues, my best friend aced it with one of the Scales I got him hooked on and gave him.

Double mando off the tee, right-to-left fade, sidewalk OB on left within ~20' of the basket, steep downhill slope into a river ~25' to the right of the basket, plenty of trees to hit, fairway is about 40-45'' at it's widest, green is only about 45' OB to OB.
df73ef43.jpg

Congrats to you and your pal. Love hearing about Scales tearing up courses.