• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

I realize I'm late to the party here but I just got my first two Scales in the mail. Fossil and Fo$$il. I love the feel of the Fo$$il its amazing stuff!

Brief little session of field work out front and all I can say is, bye bye Pro Pigs. Bye bye. Very different flight from my Harps. Not sure how it will shake out. Great success RDG. Great success.

I'm only sorry it took me so long to jump on this train. These things are legit.

Better late than never!
If only the rest of the market would realize that it just isn't worth paying big bucks for old runs of Innova PnA. We've got the beefy upshot disc on lock down!

I was so excited about the new disc I lent it to a buddy just now who's a great player in Libby, MT. I told him to give it a go and throw it wherever he would normally throw a Harp.

He just sent me the following text:

"just hit hole 3s basket off the tee with the scale sidearm hahahaha hahaha. 2 inches lower and it was an ace!"

We'll get there jcassidy, we'll get there.

And then he just sends me another text:

"just hit the basket on 7 from the tee. No trees yet just breaking it in on metal"

I think we have a winner....

Fossil Flex Scales

With the roaring success of Fossil, Fo$$il, Fossil Fuel....etc. I asked Dave to attempt to recreate the Fossil Flex protos that he usually produces when bringing the stiffness up during a production run.

As usual, DaveMac delievered with a fantastic run of Scales. This batch features classic Fossil feel but with a much more pliable flight plate. Picture a SS/SSS Wizard (still rigid in the rim) but with a great gummy plate to dig into. These are the best "hit and stick" Scales to date. They still pack the stability that you've come to rely on but in a little more user friendly feel. Check them out!

Attachments

• 20160726_224952.jpg
    20160726_224952.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 31
The Fossil Flex seems to have come out slightly straighter oddly enough. The blend feels very similar to the mint green Organic SSS from a while back, same tight shoulders and firm rims we all expect. However, the flight is closer to my more stable/overstable Serpents. I set up my practice basket at 26' and canned 25 out of 30. (not usual for me) The Fossil Flex just seems to hold the line a little longer than Fossil/Fuel/Armor/OG/$$$ Scales. Perhaps I just got a freak, but after last night's run about, I was loving it. I already have plenty of Serpents from more stable runs that cover this slot, but prefer beaded putters and this fits the bill perfectly. OS enough to handle power, yet holds a straight line off the shelf for longer than most of my fresh Scales. I compared it to my two most beat in Scales and the fresh Fossil Flex seems like a dead ringer for a seasoned Scale, however, it's still shiny new and pretty.

J, have you noticed this run being a little straighter, am I just nuts, or did I just get a freak?

J, have you noticed this run being a little straighter, am I just nuts, or did I just get a freak?

I haven't thrown them enough to comment.
I tested one briefly and thought they were pretty stable still.

I'll have to nab one and give them a thorough work out. If they are straighter I'm bagging one immediately!

Swapped out my usual Tar Pit Scale for a Fossil Flex at league last night. Putted about half and half between 7/10 Fossil Fuel Serp and my fresh Fossil Flex Scale. The Scale is definitely a tick more overstable than a seasoned Serpent, but doesn't hook up as much as even my beat Tar Pit Scales that I used exclusively for months and still bag.

My I grabbed my three oldest and most beaten in Fossil Scales (T-Rex faced stamp, Ouroboros First Run, and "SCALE" proto) and threw them against my new Fossil Flex and the flight was nearly identical. Somehow, it seems to have come out as a Scale/Serp hybrid, but as previously stated, with the bead that I so much prefer.

If anyone else sees this type of flight characteristic, please let me know. I'd love to grab a couple more if this is the same throughout the run.

With about 10 scale backups I thought I had enough, but now I may have to get more - straight stable scales...

lol I know the feels. I have a two boxes of RDG sitting behind me on my desk aside from whats in my bags. 24 Scales alone in backups. Plus, I just gave about 10 RDG discs away to a Kid's Camp in town this week.

But I've gotta try each run and each plastic type. Plus the, "hey, a new stamp!" Gotta support the Craft Discery. :D

I like the scale a lot but I have limited room in the bag.

How similar would a premium plastic scale be to a gator or zone?

Way slower and less dramatic of a fade. I couldn't use it in that slot. When I power up on the Scale it doesn't hook up like those do.

Just kind of runs of steam.

The Stego though...now that guy could maybe take the Zone slot. It's slower but probably more OS.

Yeah, I still carry an A3 in the Gator/Zone slot. Scales are a beautiful thing, but they are a lot straighter when powered up. Even in any of the 3 different premium plastics I have. Stegos are definitely as overstable (moreso) but they are SO overstable that they can't reach out and hit a target as easily as a Zone/Gator/A-Series/Harp. It's just a hunk of beef.

Probably just stick with the gator then. I was hoping the scale would work for mold minimizing

Any word on whether the fossil flex scale has less LSS than standard? I'd love to get a scale with the same HSS, but less fade to pair with my others. This would basically be the same as a serpent, but that mold just doesn't feel right in the hand for me.

Do armor scales exist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I've got a stack sitting on my desk. Domey White Armor Scales for a bit more fade and a bit more glide, red flat Armor Scales for Fossil flight in softer "star" like plastic, and orange Armor Flex Scales for a good fade, but perfect hit-and-stick ground gripping capability. The Armor Flex is what a G-Star Pig wishes it could be.

I never go out without my Armor Flex Scale as it is my #1 driving putter and upshot disc. I really wish I had grabbed more than one as they've only released one run so far.

Latest posts