• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

I really like it. I had an old glow E wizard in the bag for a long time that felt very similar, and this flies how I wished it would. Believe it or not, I actually like a little bit of dome on this mold for full-power throws. For some reason I feel like I've got a stronger grip on it. I am also just about 100% sure that I am in the minority on this, so don't run out and make a bunch of domey scales.

I have a domey armor I may be willing to part with....

I wouldn't mind trying a flatty in a firm, grippy Evo blend. It'd be even better if it glowed like the moon! ;)

173 black bottom stamped Proto Tarpit Scale arrived just in time to play four rounds today. Initial impressions: the top groove is very shallow and narrow- I guess I expected something like the Discraft GT. My putter grip puts my thumb inside the groove so as to avoid it entirely and not feel any different from a Wizard. Holding it for a flick, however, my thumb sits comfortably right in the groove. (I'm a poor authority on forearms, but think this might add some snap to putter flicks.) The disc is flat and the flightplate is noticeably thin. Plastic feels rubery grippy, exactly like the black SSS Wizard in my bag. (For those unfamiliar- the line between SS and SSS is fuzzy; I like the ones that straddle the line.)

My putter line-up is normally beat Wizard, fresh Wizard and Prodiscus Premium Jokeri. Knowing it was going to be a windy day, I put the Scale in the fresh Wizard slot. During the first round, at a short course when the wind was calm, I commented after a couple throws that I didn't think it flew any different than a fresh Wizard.

But then we went to a longer course and the wind picked up. The internet was saying 23 mph winds near our location and it was that with gusts. And then it became obvious that the Scale was a better wind fighter than a fresh Wizard. Parked several 100-150' headwind shots long after I would have switched to the Jokeri any other day.

Specifically comparing the three in terms of stability, the Scale sits in that small gap between a new Wizard and Jokeri. The beedless (but similar depth) Jokeri holds a nice ) path but would not be considered a "shaper." My most impressive throw with this Scale, however, slightly turned around a tree but still faded under the basket on a 100' throw into a strong headwind.

I never threw the Jokeri today. On any other day, I would have relied on it.

Last edited:
I got lots of kudos at a big B tier this weekend throwing the scale, and even know 1 player who ordered a few from my recommendation and watching me park my approaches over and over again. I thought that was pretty cool. I pretty much throw a scale spike hyzer upshot all the time now, unless there is too much junk to the right side of the pin. Still haven't gotten my first Scale throw in yet, but I know its coming because I flash it across the chains at least once or twice a round.

Learning to trust this disc more now, and it is exactly the disc that was missing from my bag the longest. Finishes left no matter what basically. The deep rim and flexibly Armor plastic forces a smooth throw, but RHBH it's going left if you don't roll your wrist and throw it into the ground.

Love this disc for steep spike hyzers over trees or brush. Very trust-worthy.

173 black bottom stamped Proto Tarpit Scale arrived just in time to play four rounds today. Initial impressions: the top groove is very shallow and narrow- I guess I expected something like the Discraft GT. My putter grip puts my thumb inside the groove so as to avoid it entirely and not feel any different from a Wizard. Holding it for a flick, however, my thumb sits comfortably right in the groove. (I'm a poor authority on forearms, but think this might add some snap to putter flicks.) The disc is flat and the flightplate is noticeably thin. Plastic feels rubery grippy, exactly like the black SSS Wizard in my bag. (For those unfamiliar- the line between SS and SSS is fuzzy; I like the ones that straddle the line.)

My putter line-up is normally beat Wizard, fresh Wizard and Prodiscus Premium Jokeri. Knowing it was going to be a windy day, I put the Scale in the fresh Wizard slot. During the first round, at a short course when the wind was calm, I commented after a couple throws that I didn't think it flew any different than a fresh Wizard.

But then we went to a longer course and the wind picked up. The internet was saying 23 mph winds near our location and it was that with gusts. And then it became obvious that the Scale was a better wind fighter than a fresh Wizard. Parked several 100-150' headwind shots long after I would have switched to the Jokeri any other day.

Specifically comparing the three in terms of stability, the Scale sits in that small gap between a new Wizard and Jokeri. The beedless (but similar depth) Jokeri holds a nice ) path but would not be considered a "shaper." My most impressive throw with this Scale, however, slightly turned around a tree but still faded under the basket on a 100' throw into a strong headwind.

I never threw the Jokeri today. On any other day, I would have relied on it.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the mold :clap:

I will say that the Tar Pit Scale is the least stable off the tee. It is by no means straight/stable but it is not going to possess the hard hyzer finish that a Fossil will. I would suggest that you season up your Tar Pit a little more and then bookend the Scale cycle with a fresh Fossil to provide that little more beef on the end of the line.

Are you going to run any more Fossil Fuel Scales? I was excited to try one, but they sold out before my order could be fulfilled. I'm still excited to try my Fossil Scales that are coming in.

Are you going to run any more Fossil Fuel Scales? I was excited to try one, but they sold out before my order could be fulfilled. I'm still excited to try my Fossil Scales that are coming in.

100%

There are more at the shop that we just need to stamp up.
We are starting to get pretty low on discs in general at the shop. I expect Dave to have our molds up and running sometime pretty soon.

I really want him to run some really soft RFF's as well. The Chalk RFF that we have in stock for Scales are really nice. They aren't that flexible and they retain their bite forever.

The more and more I throw both the Fossil and the Fossil Fuel, the more I realize how money the Fossil Fuel is! And I'd also argue that the Fossil Fuel is the MOST stable out of the ones I've thrown!

Well, after a week of swirling winds, my love for my Scales has grown even more. These things hold the line into a headwind. Stay straight and always dump off at the end, they've been saving me strokes all week. Even cashed some longer putts into headwinds when I was leery of going at it with my Wizards.

Jcassidy, have you sat down with Dave and the CAD artist to discuss the new mold yet?

Well, after a week of swirling winds, my love for my Scales has grown even more. These things hold the line into a headwind. Stay straight and always dump off at the end, they've been saving me strokes all week. Even cashed some longer putts into headwinds when I was leery of going at it with my Wizards.

Jcassidy, have you sat down with Dave and the CAD artist to discuss the new mold yet?

Nope I haven't. I'm getting married 4-11 so my evenings aren't very flexible. I do want to get cracking on something pretty soon though. It appears that we won't be able to tool an entire mold so I will likely be tooling a new top/bottom for their mid base so that I can achieve that competitor to the buzzz/roc circle with a low profile, fast, overstable mid.

I still am VERY interested in developing a lid as well. Once I get this pesky wedding over with..I'll be back in the swing of RDG.

Nope I haven't. I'm getting married 4-11 so my evenings aren't very flexible. I do want to get cracking on something pretty soon though. It appears that we won't be able to tool an entire mold so I will likely be tooling a new top/bottom for their mid base so that I can achieve that competitor to the buzzz/roc circle with a low profile, fast, overstable mid.

I still am VERY interested in developing a lid as well. Once I get this pesky wedding over with..I'll be back in the swing of RDG.

Congrats on the wedding! I'm getting married June 13, so I understand it sucking up your free time.

Hmmm... Maybe a warrior with a spacer to make it deeper, in Fossil... Yes, please.

Congrats on the wedding! I'm getting married June 13, so I understand it sucking up your free time.

Hmmm... Maybe a warrior with a spacer to make it deeper, in Fossil... Yes, please.

The warrior is pretty much already what I want. If anything, I'd like to create a different bottom that is a little more concave to increase the overstability out of the box. I want this disc to be pretty OS to start just so it can season across a very broad spectrum of stabilities.