• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

Ah, gotcha. Are any of the Fossil Fuel scales that dark/bright of an orange? I'm not a huge fan of the light, peachy orange in the other pic that I've seen in Gateway discs before.

We don't have a ton of BRIGHT colors yet. I'm working on it.
I know DaveMac is going to be ordering plastic soon so hopefully we can get some eye poppin' colors ran shortly.

Okay, so I got two new Scales (and a Lil' Wizard) from RDG in the mail today. I'm nearly certain they will fly like all my other Scales (damn consistent in flight, these things!) So I'll comment briefly on the two new plastic blends for the Scale.

Fossil Fuel: This was the main one I was interested in, mainly to see if the added color to Fossil really made a difference. Mine is a 175g X Ray Stamped Orange/Peach. Stamp looks great with just a tiny bit of dropout (because of the super intricate stamp, I assume.) It is noticeably softer, all around, than Fossil but keep in mind Fossil is about the stiffest blend you can find. It is a little grippier than new Fossil, but again, Fossil isn't very slick to begin with. The biggest difference between FF and regular ol' Fossil, aside from the color, is the outside rim. Fossil Scales and Serps have the same texture throughout the disc, where FF (at least in the Scale) very much has that signature Gateway rim where it is gritty and soft for chain catching, yet firm to grip. For those of you who are used to Gateway

Whoops!
Ok, continuing...

....putters will know exactly what I'm talking about. FF Scale will be good all around, but I imagine the FF Serps will be a bigger hit because FF just feels like it was made for putting, and the Serp is a better putting putter IMO.

My other Scale was an Eraser Scale. 173g, flawless Goldblum stamp, pinkish Eraser color. If you've used Gateway eraser plastic before, this is it. I actually think this is the best Eraser I've felt since tyhe very first pink eraser Wizards came out years back. The blue Eraser Wizs and Magics I've thrown are not nearly as good as this blend. If you like Eraser, you'll like this. My only concern is that Eraser probably won't be as durable as Fossil, Tar Pit and FF so I might have limited uses for it.

There ya go...now order up so you can get entered in the Gecko bag giveaway!

JCassidy hooked me up with a Fossil Scale on the MP and here is my honest, too-late-at-night, been drinking a bit review.

Why you should skip this review or say something negative about me:
-I'm an outlier. I don't like gateway putters overall. The wizard doesn't work well for me. As I understand it the scale is a wizard with the cool thumbtrack top. I have several wizards and voodoos and don't like them (particularly the voodoos). Chief and Shaman were okay but not in use.
-I like soft putters. I'm unobjectively critical of harder baseline or midline putters.
-I have and throw alot of OS putters. The scale will be up against many other discs in this review.

My surprisingly brief review:
The scale feels okay in my small to medium hands. It's got enough beef for me not to worry about flipping it over on a drive. Not super glidey, more of a range -it putter that goes it's distance and then quits. Average skips for putters in my experience. It looks cool and innovative. RDG is a smaller company and I'm the only guy throwing this. I'm an elitist. I'm a snob. This disc is special and all those noobs got aviars. Ha!

2 Reasons why I'm hesitant to permanently bag it:
(1) It's in between my chosen stabilities. I bag an OS putter (pig, zone, prem jokeri,etc) and a neutral putter that can still take a drive without flipping too much (judge, challenger, shield, etc). To be fair the scale would probably fit in the former, but once it wears I think it will be right inbetween. That would be a perfect compromise putter for a small bag or if you wanted to pack a bunch of scales at different wear levels.
(2) The fossil plastic is inbetween my chosen plastic durabilites. I like a premium/champy OS beef machine putter and a buttery soft neutral putter. The fossil plastic is once again a compromise between the two. I got a hard warden that flies great but the hard plastic didn't penetrate through my stubborn I-know-what-I-like attitude. The fossil isn't that hard, but it's stiff. To be fair, I'm thinking it may wear into a softer more yielding chain-banging machine, but as a fresh disc, it's outside my comfort parameters.

Where I'm at now:
I have it bagged with my soft judge and premium jokeri. I throw it through dangerous vegetation-filled approaches where I'm concerned my judge may grab branches as I hyzer it through. I also putt with it alot immediately after I miss or splash out with my judge to see if I could do better. Usually it looks like: Miss, swear, miss....swear.
I sharpied the Deathly hallows mockingjay on it because you never know when you'll need to relate with a fellow nerd you meet on the course.
http://www.webstore.com/cache/cache_500_1_1_img_15462702_2f6958807a711c46ace3055cb3528a61jpg.gif

My prediction:
While I'm on the fence with the scale (maybe not for long, tar pit scale coming soon), I'm thinking this disc will knock other's socks off. I believe it's an improvement on the wizard (or it's alot closer to what I wanted the wiz to be). The most important thing: The stamps are bananas. I almost bought a whole bunch of Goldblum stamps on RDG's website because I get stupid over cool stamps. My wife would have killed me but I really thought about it. Had the cart loaded and everything. I'm gonna at least one when I get permission (Don't mock me--some things won't suck themselves). Right now I'm leaning towards a softer Goldblum Serpent.
This JCassidy seems like a cool guy and his disc ideas and attitude on this forum are great. I wish him all the luck and hopes he keeps making cool discs (like this lid he's working on)!

Threw the second round of a pitch & putt tourney today with a Chalk RFF Scale & a Fossil Serpent today.
I wasn't able to make the first round bc of work but sure enough...I shot one of the hot rounds of the tourney in the 2nd round. Chalk it up to no pressure bc I wasn't competing for anything but man do I love the Scale off the tee. It appears that the Chalk RFF is much more managable off the tee vs. my standard Fossil that I carry. I was able to throw some beautiful flex lines that bit back just in time to park next to the basket.

We also donated a ton of Scales to the CTP winners so hopefully we can continue to grow the fan base for our flagship mold.

Anyone else finding the Scale to be your go to mold for short tee shots?

Scales rock for upshots, thank you for making a great disc!

:hfive:

I love the Scale for most all of my putter drives. It has so much HSS that I can trust it in all conditions while still not fighting out of lines like a Zone would. Any and all shots that I can reach with a Scale... I will. So darn reliable for me.

I am also finding that I love the Serpent for a variety of lines off the tee as well. It really excels at that intentional forced anny that I want to flatten out and land even. It can also hold a great hyzer flip to turn on shirt flicks.

I know I seem overbearing in pushing our molds on DGCR but I am just so proud of what they can do.

I'm really liking the fossil fuel Scale for upshots. I know you work with gateway (duh), are you going to rdg stamp any wizards in that plastic?

Yep- I'd be in trouble- I would probably buy a whole stack of 10 fossil fuel lizards to replace my erasers and cut into my booze fund.

I wish I had a box of Fossil Scales in my car. Everybody I hand one to wants one; they would be an easy sale.

I'm glad I didn't buy a box of Fossil Scales to put in my car to sell. I'd just keep them for myself and my wife would yell at me every time she saw the box. :|

The more I throw the Scale the more it grows on me, and I may end up ordering more in a bit.

Also the got a birdie on a flick upshot from 70 ft out and it chained out but NBD the Tar Pit plastic parked it on the side of the hill. And I did get a birdie on one that required a big spike hyzer with a hit and stick finish.

Great predictable disc.

Basically tacoed my fossil scale last weekend in a tourney, took a direct tree hit on a full power drive. Bent it back into shape and now it's a very straight flyer with a very late fade. It's probably 30-50 feet longer now, and getting some more regular driving duties. Time to get a fresh one!

The Scale is something else....

Today in a field session we were using a measuring wheel to determine distance of shots.

Matt bombed a 125g!!!!!! Fossil Scale 300 ft. And it had no turn and a gentle fade. I was blown away.

Again I must say thank you to all of the DGCR love and support we have received.
It's incredible to see folks that I respect so much, throwing our discs.

If a 125g Scale (or Serpent, for that matter) can be had, I'd absolutely by one for my wife.

I'm finding the thumbtack on both the scale and the serpent are in the perfect spot for me both backhand and forehand. (Not for putting, but that's ok.)

I've almost beat the bead off my proto scale, flies a little straighter and has a little more glide compared to a freshy.

Does anybody have problems driving the Fossil Scales? I started with a Proto Scale and it was great for driving with either a fan or power grip. Every time it would fade out and skip hard toward the basket. With the Fossil I can't seem to get it working for driving. Every power grip drive it will flutter out and fly straight until it just dies well before my Proto would have. These things are still quite stable on approaches and great in the wind, but I can't seem to get them to work for driving now.