• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Speed 9-10 Drivers

Well gang, I have decided to go with Valkyries. My experience with them just won out and I think my Ascents can still handle most, if not any, wind conditions I will face (if not, PD here I come!).

I'm going to go Star/DX (going to go handpick some tomorrow and got a line on a beat-in Star)... but, despite my feelings about champ, I just ordered a rad looking max weight, tie-dyed Champion Valkyrie to throw into the mix as well. Maybe that will allow me to handle a little bit more wind than a Star/DX.

Thanks for all the input and the Fury, PD, Escape, Saint, and Beast are now high up on my discs to eventually try (or just get to know better)!

You know, the champ valk we have is MUCH more stable than the others. As far as one mold goes, it's not a bad idea.

I hate these threads because no one can agree on anything.

Just goto the store and take which ever one feels the best to you. Everyone throws different. discs act different for different people.

There are so many great choices in that speed range.
Agreed. I'd like to think that my bag is well rounded with the addition of the Valks, but I could see any additions I make coming from this speed range.

Just don't throw a tie-dye into the schule ... ;)
Truth. The main color in the tie-dye is a bright blue, so hopefully that will help though.

You know, the champ valk we have is MUCH more stable than the others. As far as one mold goes, it's not a bad idea.
That's what I was hoping for!

Just goto the store and take which ever one feels the best to you. Everyone throws different. discs act different for different people.
Thank you for your negative input? After I had got some great input and leads and then did exactly what you said...

I recently found a champion beast in some tall grass. It has now become my favorite disc, flies dead straight for me when nose down.

Last edited:
So I found a Champ Starfire at the local nine today (out in the open, no ink), and was wondering what people thought of it. From what I've seen, it might be FH only, but I was wondering what the reviews might be for it. Is it similiar to an Orc?

So I found a Champ Starfire at the local nine today (out in the open, no ink), and was wondering what people thought of it. From what I've seen, it might be FH only, but I was wondering what the reviews might be for it. Is it similiar to an Orc?

You ever thrown a PD?

It's like a PD but it doesn't penetrate as much before it starts to fade out. It does very well in a Headwind. It's good for forehands. If you throw it with a bit Of Anhyzer it will flex/S-Shot a bit then hyzer out. I use to get my most distance with a Starfire when I threw it with Anyhyzer.

In a way it's like a Speed 10 Wasp in my opinion.

PD-Freaks are the best choice on the market IMO. I have no doubt that if they keep molding them like 1st runs and 3rd runs that they will go down as some of the best discs ever.

Right up there with rocs, buzz etc

I'm going to have to get my hands on a PD. My buddy commented the other day that I try more new discs than anybody he knows. Maybe I'm just OCD, but I feel like I need to try everything I can get my hands on.

With that said, I love my DD Lucid Escape.

Where it really becomes stupid is when people only recommend their favorite disc with complete disregard to what would best suit the OP. This is especially prevalent with fanboys to the niche brands (and you know who you are).

PD-Freaks are the best choice on the market IMO. I have no doubt that if they keep molding them like 1st runs and 3rd runs that they will go down as some of the best discs ever.

Right up there with rocs, buzz etc

I agree. I've tried the Avenger, Escape, Volt, Saint, Valkyrie, Viking, and the OLF. I have to say that the combination of several factors make the PD the best all around speed 9. I have thrown some of those discs more extensively than others (Avenger more than the Escape, which was field tested),so there might a better competitor for the spot of the PD (possibly the Escape) than other discs.

As it stands with me, the closest comparison to the PD is going to be the Avenger and the OLF (both speed 9, good wind fighters, fly far, etc). They have similar qualities as the PD, whereas the PD is going to be more like Tbird, however it can be worked like an eagle. Both the Avenger and OLF are good discs but take more power (Avenger more than the OLF) to get up to speed with the Avenger taking the most power to get up to speed. If you were to go with either the Avenger or OLF I would recommend the OLF, though the Avenger is not a bad choice.

The Volt, Saint, Valkyrie, and Viking are good discs, but due to other variables within the PD, they are rendered superfluous. For example, each mold are not going to be as good at fighting wind as the PD. As well, other molds are not going to take power as well as the PD.

I hold the PD as a classic (along with Tbird, Eagle, XL, etc). It has the best combination of variables that make it a great disc. If I were to compare to other discs I would say that it is like a combination of an Eagle and Tbird but only faster.

I still have never even seen a PD.

Here you go.

discmania-pd-freak-s-line.jpg

if i could find good pds regularly i would love them. they are the standard of that speed class. crap now i want some again.

Latest posts