• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Wow, that is a surprise considering his dedication to Shusterick as a mentor. Although, Prodigy didn't seem a like a brand that would really push his social media or give him his own line of discs. Gannon def puts in the work to be successful and seems to have fun doing it. He'll be a great get for any manufacturer.

Didn't Schusterick start with Discmania? Eagle did tease that DM had 'aces up their sleeve' on the Nick and Matt show.

Gannon's move officially makes this the most interesting off-season yet. Where are leaky leakers when you need them?

If he's just looking for a one year until he decides what to do, then LoneStar could possibly make sense...

But my guess is he's going with at least a three year deal somewhere for a big raise.... it shouldn't be close to Paul, Simon, Ricky money though... his potential is huge, but long way to go to see how consistent he is and if his name and personality push disc sales. He is just so young. Pretty amazing and exciting for the sport.

Thinking out loud here - Seppo Paju retires from touring to focus on Prodigy Europe, and I understand sales are pretty strong there. Discmania opens a big facility in Colorado, moves production around, and released entirely new lines of products after the Innova divorce. They don't seem to be selling as much and just lost their biggest name, and Gannon is still an unknown as far as a "name" to sell plastic. Blowing that $1mil on him doesn't seem to make as much $$ sense without some way for DM to recoup that if he doesn't meet such and such performance/sales expectations.
America is just one part of Discmania in their overall market.
Simon has the years of presence and being a human highlight reel to make his paycheck worth the ink. But, if that kid also develops a beast mode setting. While growing with his I fed the kid too much coffee again social media presence. Buhr is the future of disc golf.

That'd be a hell of a move for Discmania. If it happens I'd be curious how long ago this was worked out. And what his signature/tour series disc will be.

I bag no Discmania or Prodigy. Curious what others think he'd bag after the move. I'll be confused, it'll be DD something or another versus FD-XP-2 or something. Dude will make it work if it's true. I'll be confused though 😁

Discmania makes the most sense.

He did say he liked the new Franklin distance driver on the nick and mat show a month or two back. It was fun to hear him talk about goofing with stuff like that with the buddies.

I would love to see him show up to All Stars with a couple Franklin Starter Sets and then roll into LVC with a Discmania bag.

Didn't Schusterick start with Discmania? Eagle did tease that DM had 'aces up their sleeve' on the Nick and Matt show.

Gannon's move officially makes this the most interesting off-season yet. Where are leaky leakers when you need them?

I believe he was innova, but did have a signature PD, and maybe another mold as well. Much like Sexton had his sig on DDs and Paul had his on S-P2s.

That'd be a hell of a move for Discmania. If it happens I'd be curious how long ago this was worked out. And what his signature/tour series disc will be.

I bag no Discmania or Prodigy. Curious what others think he'd bag after the move. I'll be confused, it'll be DD something or another versus FD-XP-2 or something. Dude will make it work if it's true. I'll be confused though 😁

Based on Gavin Babcock announcing he was leaving Prodigy 2 months ago, I would say it's been in the works since before then even. The negotiations on these deals seem to start during the season even. The PDGA is not the NFL and can't fine the manufacturers from "tampering" so I'm sure players are being courted all the time.

My guess on his bag, isn't real earth shattering, but here goes:

PD2 - PD - FD3 - MD5 - Tactic - P2 - P1X

My guess on his bag, isn't real earth shattering, but here goes:

PD2 - PD - FD3 - MD5 - Tactic - P2 - P1X

I am betting they don't want new players throwing innova made molds, curious to see how that goes. They are lacking a pro level OS Distance driver currently with the bet bets being beefy runs of DD3...

I am also guessing he would putt links. Part the same reasoning and part the link is more stable and pa3 shaped.

Has babcock come out with any promotional stuff yet or an ITB?

Yeah I'm curious about any new DM players being able to throw any of the Innova molded originals. I would expect DM wants them throwing stuff that they actually sell at this point.

I am betting they don't want new players throwing innova made molds, curious to see how that goes. They are lacking a pro level OS Distance driver currently with the bet bets being beefy runs of DD3...

I am also guessing he would putt links. Part the same reasoning and part the link is more stable and pa3 shaped.

Maybe Babock will come out with his first DM video together with Buhr?

I know Schlabach (Buhr's USDGC caddy and Titan Disc Golf owner) started scooping up $runs right before he switched sponsorships from Innova to Discmania. I'm guessing they can prob throw them, but are maybe urged not to advertise the run.

I highly doubt that. Discmania put their first disc out in the fall of 2006. Will was still a barely-known regional phenom (14 years old, at the end of 2006 he had 3 1000 rated rounds to his name in 1 year as a PDGA member, high of 1023). Looking at archive.org it appears he was added to the Innova Scout Team in October 2007, or near that time (not on the website in October - on it in early November).

So if Will was with Discmania before Innova it was as a 940s-960s rated 14 year old in Tennessee at a time when their only offerings were the CD, MD1, P1, P2. It isn't impossible that he was with Discmania first, but it would be a huge surprise to me - I doubt they were scouting juniors in the Appalachia area at that time.

I kinda was able to follow his development because he happened to absolutely smoke me and about 145 others (he was 4th out of 150) in Intermediate at BG Ams which was the first time I ever went to a big tournament. So I took note. It was the first time I ever encountered one of those teen disc golf phenoms. There was a pre-teen phenom in that division too - Blair Bose was probably about 12 years old, finished 25th (IIRC Blair at least got to 1000+ rated, and internet says he did earn his touring card for 2012).

Discmania makes the most sense.

He did say he liked the new Franklin distance driver on the nick and mat show a month or two back. It was fun to hear him talk about goofing with stuff like that with the buddies.

I would love to see him show up to All Stars with a couple Franklin Starter Sets and then roll into LVC with a Discmania bag.
Maybe he can get a nice lil one off promotional deal from Franklin.

Of course, he's gotta convince them that disc golf is a sport first...

Disc golf, my favorite outdoor game. But golf's a sport! I feel a little better seeing volleyball relegated to the kids table with us. I'm okay with being lumped in with volleyball as an activity.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 10.52.14 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 10.52.14 AM.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 10.52.26 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 10.52.26 AM.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 57
Maybe he can get a nice lil one off promotional deal from Franklin.

Of course, he's gotta convince them that disc golf is a sport first...

Disc golf, my favorite outdoor game. But golf's a sport! I feel a little better seeing volleyball relegated to the kids table with us. I'm okay with being lumped in with volleyball as an activity.

I played all the sports, and volleyball was probably my favorite. Would have likely played it instead of soccer in high school if mens volleyball was available.

Disc golf, great outdoor game, just like volleyball and cornhole. :doh: