• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Every time I wack a tree really hard with one of my DX Rocs, I think "Yes! Maybe now it's finally beat into that magical flippy phase!" Of course it's never true. A watched Roc never gets flippy. :p

Rocs never go bad. My current dx is a 2004 piedmont random doubles stamp. It was played with for years til it reached perfection then set aside until it would be recalled for duty.

I have a DX in the bag I've been using a ton for over a year. The other day I had an outstretched standstill throw around a corner. Didn't make it. Hit the tree 20 foot in front of me so hard it bent the rim down and I saw a huge white crease in the flight plate. It looked like it was close to ripping. Bent the rim back and the next throw it went dead straight just like before. Hasn't changed one bit since.

So a lot of people are looking for that perfect turning roc, what about if I'm looking for a more stable roc that is gonna hold its line longer...metal flake champ roc3? I cycle mako3's I guess like most people cycle their rocs and have dead straight to turn over flippy in my bag and am perfectly happy with them over roc's, personal preference. But I'm searching for that more stable mid range shot.

So a lot of people are looking for that perfect turning roc, what about if I'm looking for a more stable roc that is gonna hold its line longer...metal flake champ roc3? I cycle mako3's I guess like most people cycle their rocs and have dead straight to turn over flippy in my bag and am perfectly happy with them over roc's, personal preference. But I'm searching for that more stable mid range shot.

Get a max weight champ roc3 if want a 5/4/-.5/2 flight or a metal flake if you want something closer to 0/3. Get a champ rocx3 if you want something a little more OS than that .

Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuck

I might have to go back to throwing rocs for a bit.

On a whim i asked to throw my friend's beaten up dx roc today and it flew so magically. I threw it without any point of reference. Just kinda looked at it, guessed correctly the stability and had the easiest 3 on a somewhat tricky hole. (hole 3 at acorn, for reference). Threw it from a standstill on a slight hyzer, watched it flip up a tiny bit and drift around the corner.

It's hard to switch when you bag comets, man...they're both sooooooo gooooooood.

The hole, for reference.

media.php

media.php

Hey, how'd i get my swarez to stick in the post?

Play that course all the time. Nice 3. I wonder if I've passed by you before, I play there and Lakewood at least 3 times a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DX (and all other Rancho Rocs' rims) can be all over the map. But there is one steady trend -- newer Rocs are plussier Rocs, all other things being equal. Close your eyes and find the Rocs that feel right off the rack. Don't pick a DX Roc by stamp color. There are still good Rocs out there.

How come Philo, who plays every day and throws HARD, gets several months out of his DX Rocs, but DGCR is full of dudes who blast through a Roc's stability on one or two tree hits?

Yeah I go through the shop's racks regularly trying to find all the ones that feel good. Walk away empty handed probably 9 out of 10 times. I have a modest stack of about a half dozen DX Rocs. Not that I really need more than that; going to your second point, they last a long time. I play about 5x a week on wooded, rocky courses. Some of my favorite Rocs have chunks missing from the bead, big gashes in the rim, etc. They still hold up well.

Alright. Going back to the roc again.. Got a dx and kc pro. They didn't throw all that overstable, but they still flew magically. Excited to revist my secons favorite mold

On a related note, anybody throw protege ghosts alongside their rocs enough to compare them? I pike gravity, but they don't quite have the stability of a kc pro roc. Hate throwing icon or pinnacle as well.

Had a great throw with a roc the last round I played. 175g DX rancho, on a 300' hole needing to fade left at the end. I had one of those throws that gives me confidence that I can develop good form, because I obviously did lots of things correct this time. Good smooth, fast rip, the roc went out and turned right just a little to get around the outside of a tree, then hooked up and coasted forward and left landing 10' deep and 10' left of the pin.

Man I love a good roc throw, it's just so pretty! ��

Alright. Going back to the roc again.. Got a dx and kc pro. They didn't throw all that overstable, but they still flew magically. Excited to revist my secons favorite mold

On a related note, anybody throw protege ghosts alongside their rocs enough to compare them? I pike gravity, but they don't quite have the stability of a kc pro roc. Hate throwing icon or pinnacle as well.

I tried throwing the protege ghost but the plastic was too slick and had too much dome for me to be able to grip it correctly

My white protege ghost is stiff as hell but not slick, not grippy either though. Mine flies just like a good stable kc pro. I personally loved the dome and it felt great in hand, just like a 10x roc I had once. Definitely recommend it for any roc thrower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried throwing the protege ghost but the plastic was too slick and had too much dome for me to be able to grip it correctly

Same here. Slickest disc I've ever thrown. Had it two days and traded it away.

Every other Ghost I have seen is supper domey. I like my Rocs with some dome, but not with a Skeeter dome!:gross:

What mold are kc pro rocs from 2009? Would they most likely be 12x? Im trying to figure out around what year 11x mold stopped being used. Is there any way to tell judging by pictures?

2009 would've been the Rancho mold. 12X isn't a mold, it's a stamp. Look at the years The Champ won worlds and count until you find his 11th. His last Open Worlds win was in 2006 though.

Yeah, the 11X stopped being around earlier than 2006 becasue of the 0X's. The 11X's showed up after his 2002 win (early 2003) and were around for a couple years. I think 2005-06 were the 0X's.

People talk about the 8X mold or the 10X mold...they were all Rancho molds. The plastic composition was prolly different and accounted for the changes. Like every 8X I saw was puddle topped. That probably was due more to plastic/molding issues. I don't think they had a puddle top mold. The 10X's were stiff as a board. The early 11X's were a lot like 10X's, then the plastic got soft and the disc were domey. None of those differences seemed to me to be a mold change, just plastic/molding issues that resulted in slightly differnt discs. So far as I know, every KC Pro Roc has used the same mold.

Last edited:
Well I got lucky on a raffle recently, scored a double stamp clump 5x/Schultz 3x champ roc. It's every bit the overstable roc I was hoping for. Haven't had a chance to play a round with it yet, but I did some field work and approach practice in the yard. Dead straight with a healthy and very workable fade. Highly recommended, will pair great with my DX cycle.

Well I got lucky on a raffle recently, scored a double stamp clump 5x/Schultz 3x champ roc. It's every bit the overstable roc I was hoping for. Haven't had a chance to play a round with it yet, but I did some field work and approach practice in the yard. Dead straight with a healthy and very workable fade. Highly recommended, will pair great with my DX cycle.

I'd like to see this Roc you're talking about.