• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unsafe and/or Unplayable lie?

We really have two different but related problems here, that I have argued numerous times but never really (until now apparently) have had much support in. The definition of playing surface is too open to interpretation with the word reasonable in it. The other is that the rules doesn't really address situations where the disc is located in an area where there is no playing surface, but not beachside of OB or a solid obstacle.

We do have a rule to relocate a disc without penalty above or below a playing surface. One might argue that landing or marking on a steep slope near a flat surface is actually "below" the real playing surface. But then that judgment would introduce a slippery slope...

We do have a rule to relocate a disc without penalty above or below a playing surface. One might argue that landing or marking on a steep slope near a flat surface is actually "below" the real playing surface. But then that judgment would introduce a slippery slope...

That's kinda where I started. I just have a problem with a TD labeling an area inbounds, but not on a playing surface. But in reality if that disc in the OP is inbounds but not on a playing surface, what other choices are there? Below the playing surface? Above the playing surface? Hovering near a playing surface?

TDs take heed, that's what you do when you don't think these situations out when they are highly probable.

Yes, but no rule to relocate if there is no playing surface directly above or below. The main problem though is the definition of playing surface.

Yes, but no rule to relocate if there is no playing surface directly above or below. The main problem though is the definition of playing surface.
Yes there is. The default is moving back on the line of play to solid surface. Typically there is no playing surface directly above a disc in a crack or hole. It's parallel to Solid Object relief, maybe call it the "No Object" relief back on the line of play.

Last edited:
But that relocation rule should be written more clearly to where TDs can specify "No playing surface" areas that essentially play as if the TD declared the area a buncr like steep banks.

Instead of designating an area as "no playing surface" It could easily be designated as either OB or a casual relief situation. These can both be done with existing rules as long as the TD is on the ball. If the TD is not on the ball I don't think additional rules in terms of designations of playing surface will help.

Instead of designating an area as "no playing surface" It could easily be designated as either OB or a casual relief situation. These can both be done with existing rules as long as the TD is on the ball. If the TD is not on the ball I don't think additional rules in terms of designations of playing surface will help.
The difference between casual and buncr is with buncr you cannot play from that surface. Buncr is already allowed in the rules under 805.03B but it just hasn't been called that officially.

I confess that I hadn't thought to look in the Q&A section (Q&A 6) If the point directly above the disc is in the air or within a solid object, mark your lie back along the line of play. Applicable Rules: 802.02 Establishing Position.
I do wish however that that wording was added to 802.02. But that still leaves the definition of playing surface up to player interpretation, unless specified directly by the td.

Latest posts