• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Versatile Fairway Pairings

FD/PD seems to be the best fit for my game. The CD2 has been taking shots away from both those molds since I added it so we'll see how things shape up moving forward!

My pairings are Leopard and Teebird.
G-Star Leopard, Pro Teebird, G-Star Teebird, Champion Teebird.

I have tried to do the Leopard/Eagle pairing, but I cannot seem to like the Eagle for anything other than throwing overhand on one hole. The rest of the time is sits in a milk crate in the back of my car until I hit that one course.

I wanted to like S-Line FD, C-Line FD, and C-Line FD2, but they don't feel as good in my hand as the Teebirds. Maybe it is only familiarity at this point.

Same here, I wanted to like the FD line but never could get myself to throw them consistently. I now roll with a seasoned *teebird, champ mf teebird3 and a leopard3. I feel with these 3 I have all lines covered.

The CD2 has been taking shots away from both those molds since I added it so we'll see how things shape up moving forward!

I've heard lots of good things about the CD2, local super pro really likes them. I have so many years invested in learning, stocking, and carrying PDs it would take a minor catastrophe to get me to switch ;)

fairway

2 patriot and an s eagle x.......and a whippet x? i throw the whippet at midrange distances. Not a fairway driver in my hands.

Tried a underworld stag combo for a bit....but had no consistency.:|

Rival/ Patriot is my favorite combo hands down. Love the feel in hand and the plastics give you every shot shape from Banshee OS to beat up Leopard. Can't beat that imo.

The Z Tracker, Z Undertaker, and Z Mantis. If you like Z speed 8 fairway drivers.

Equivalent to the same disc in different stages of wear yet in very durable plastic.

My Trackers are very overstable and stay overstable with wear. This is the Brinster TeeBird.

My new Undertakers are identical in look and feel to my Trackers but with their slightly lower nose are already only as overstable as my worn Tracker so even though they're new to the market they will obviously wear perfectly for stable shots. This is the TeeBird.

In the same fashion my Mantises are so much lower nosed than the Undertaker that the dome appears larger when in fact the dome is the same and the shoulder just slopes down that much more to the lower nose. These are my favorite in the woods for BH and FH. Hyzer flips, tunnels, stand stills, tailwinds, anhyzers, turnovers, very long straight rollers, and hard turning rollers. Only slightly understable when new so in Z they wear into medium understable perfectly. This is the FD.

These three are a good demonstration of the effect of PLH.

Boy, the more I use them, the harder it is to argue with 2nd run FD/S-FD for a dynamic fairway combo. Almost all my JLS shots have gone to the S-FD lately and then some.

I might just toss a banshee in there and be set for most shots off the tee!

Bump

Any combo of Teebirds, Leopards, tee3, Leo3, Patriot, Rival always find a way into my bag. Lots of plastic choice to give you different flights. I consider the Firebird a fairway disc for me, so I finish the line up with that.

Getaways and Stags for me.

I have a Felon in the bag that mostly collects dust other than on super windy days, and a Hatchet that only goes in the bag if I expect to need understable utility. The remaining 95% of my fairway shots get covered by either a Getaway or Stag.

JLS, Teebird, Banshee*, not a pairing but they work great together and feel somewhat similar.

*Ideally - JLS in Millenium plastic, Star Teebird, PFN Champion Banshee.

Pairings that have worked for me over extended periods of time:

Leopard - Teebird - Banshee (the classic)
FD - Hatchet
Insanity - TL (current pairing)

Old beat star teebird, brinster teebird, star firebird, faf champ firebird. Every once in a while I toss a leopard in but then I never throw it on the course, ha.

From OS to US. ESP XL 170 grams for windy days, then Z Stalker 170-172 grams for most shots that do not need the ESP XL, an Impact 170-172 grams (only 170-172 and 173-174 grams seem to work for the mold to do the flight the disc is meant to do) for tunnel/tight shots as well as some shots that are between a midrange and a true fairway driver (have several backups for the OOP model), and last an Archer for rollers and right shots as I lack a forehand. The other I have is a DX Dragon for water shots and long open bomber shots that are either calm or tailwind but the Dragon is basically a Valkyrie made for water floating shots so it does not count as it is almost in the Driver/Control Driver category, more so that the DX version of mold is only 150 grams so it can go as long as a Valkyrie in the right conditions.

Last edited:
Volts and Rivers take care of this for me.

Latest posts