• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do with your overweight discs?

Stop bullying horizontally challenged discs!

ayM63mX_460swp.webp

I mean i appreciate this stance in principal, but it practice it is a bit much. The weight rule is intended to prevent injury i believe. But even so, if it truly bothers you, just sell/give them away.

This whole thread is ridiculous because if the OP really had integrity, they would not broadcast to the world how much integrity they have or even bother asking the question.

I simply want my discs replaced because they sold me a product that is not as described.

I remember Heimborg ripping his Teal ones at GBO into the wind and I wouldn't be surprised if those were heavier as well. Who knows though. Just speculating. From what I read they don't weigh every disc. They weigh a large stack then send it. So thats why they can be off.

The other color Halo discs I've got have all been fine. Just these two.

I would say that if you know the discs are illegal, then you shouldn't throw them in a competition. Mentally, I know i would be thinking about it on every throw. I don't worry about someone calling me on it, it just feels wrong.

The solution of course is not to weigh your max weight discs. If you don't know, it won't interfere in your mental processes. I personally can't throw max weight.

I agree that I simply wouldn't be able to throw them. Even if somehow my scale is off by that much which seems unlikely since I've weighed hundreds of discs and thus feel it's calibrated to be very close.

THE WEIGHT RULE IS NOT ABOUT YOU AND YOUR OVERWEIGHT DESTROYERS SO QUIT WORRYING. How would you like to stand downrange from a guy chucking a 2 pound piece of plastic that would decapitate you if it hit your neck? That is what the rule is there to prevent. GOD WILL NOT ASK YOU ABOUT IT WHEN YOU GET TO THE PEARLY GATES. Promise.

813A states that players may not play with discs that do not meet the PDGA Disc Golf Technical Standards. However, as I read them, the technical standards themselves place the requirements on the manufacturers to gain approval for discs to be produced and to produce legal discs. The onus is not on the players to redo the work required of the disc manufacturers. Buying approved disc molds, produced and sold by an approved manufacturer, and not subsequently altering them in an illegal way, is the extent of what's required of the players under the rules.

If, for example, Innova was selling discs in their F2 shop that were marketed as out of spec, and stamped as such, then a player could be sanctioned for violating 813A if they used them in sanctioned play. If the disc was overweight, and they altered it down to legal weight, even simply through wear, I'd argue they still could be sanctioned. If the player bought and used a non-PDGA approved disc from some knockoff manufacturer, that would also be sanctionable. Otherwise, any sanction would seem to be limited to disapproving the discs manufactured and sold as legal, if the manufacturer was not in compliance with PDGA specifications in their production.

oldmandiscer is all about following rules of governing body.

As should everyone, especially when it involves following rules of competition. You don't follow them, then you are simply a cheater. Some people are ok with that and others are not.

813A states that players may not play with discs that do not meet the PDGA Disc Golf Technical Standards. However, as I read them, the technical standards themselves place the requirements on the manufacturers to gain approval for discs to be produced and to produce legal discs. The onus is not on the players to redo the work required of the disc manufacturers. Buying approved disc molds, produced and sold by an approved manufacturer, and not subsequently altering them in an illegal way, is the extent of what's required of the players under the rules.

If, for example, Innova was selling discs in their F2 shop that were marketed as out of spec, and stamped as such, then a player could be sanctioned for violating 813A if they used them in sanctioned play. If the disc was overweight, and they altered it down to legal weight, even simply through wear, I'd argue they still could be sanctioned. If the player bought and used a non-PDGA approved disc from some knockoff manufacturer, that would also be sanctionable. Otherwise, any sanction would seem to be limited to disapproving the discs manufactured and sold as legal, if the manufacturer was not in compliance with PDGA specifications in their production.

So if a manufacturer is selling new discs overweight/out of spec then what? Player is unknowingly breaking the rules. I can see saying the onus is on the company, for sure.

But then the problem falls onto the player who purchased out of spec discs and if he/she finds them to be out of spec then what? Throw them anyways?

As should everyone, especially when it involves following rules of competition. You don't follow them, then you are simply a cheater. Some people are ok with that and others are not.

Also there is a very big difference to abiding by rules you agreed to by entering a competition versus being born into a set of rules you do not agree with.

By entering the competition you are acknowledging that you are going to play by the rules set forth. If you don't agree with the rules of the PDGA you don't have to play.

One is forced versus the other is voluntary.

So if a manufacturer is selling new discs overweight/out of spec then what? Player is unknowingly breaking the rules. I can see saying the onus is on the company, for sure.

But then the problem falls onto the player who purchased out of spec discs and if he/she finds them to be out of spec then what? Throw them anyways?

You are welcome to do whatever you, personally, want. Much in the same way that there is no requirement for you to personally verify that the disc you bought came from an actual PDGA approved mold, nor do you have requirements to verify that the diameter is within spec for the weight by measuring both, you have no responsibility in the rules for weighing your discs.

This is much the same as in any sport. You don't need to measure the length of your baseball bat, you don't need to personally verify that the dimple pattern on each new golf ball you put in play is symmetrical, etc. Buy legal, sanctioned equipment and play with it in good faith.

If the specific weight of the discs you throw is important to you, bring a scale with you to the store or buy from a place like OTB discs that re-weighs the discs. Also a good set of calipers. Also, make sure to keep your disc in a humidity controlled environment of some sort to avoid weight increase via moisture absorption, if it's very important to you to throw discs you personally deem to be max weight and no more.

As moisture absorption will change disc weights from when they are manufactured, the specifications concern weight as manufactured. But, if it's important to you, make sure you bring your scale on the course and weigh periodically during the round. However, don't expect to be able to weigh your competitors discs or challenge them on the weight or diameter of their discs.

And now, a sufficient fisking having been accomplished, I bid you adieu.

The thing is that there are a lot of specs. You are obsessing over a spec that you feel like you can accurately measure yourself, but what about all the other specs? Are we responsible for checking that all of our small-diameter drivers actually molded out the the 21cm spec? Are we responsible for making sure the flight plate of every disc we throw does not exceed 0.5 cm in thickness? Do we have to conduct the leading-edge radius test and flex test on all of out discs?

You are cherry-picking weight, but a golf disc probably can mold up out of spec in a variety of different ways. The rule has NEVER been that the player has to check these specs OR that the manufacturer has to check the specs of each run. The rule is that they have to submit discs to be approved. After it is approved, the disc is legal.

Manufacturers are not deliberately making overweight discs. They don't want to deal with people like you trying to return a 178g driver. They went to make 175g discs because we as consumers want max weight discs. There is a fine line they are walking, and they probably go over by a gram here and there. The collective of disc golf has shrugged and said they don't care.

Last edited:

Latest posts