• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you do?

Chuck's response on the first page would have been mine. If he gave pushback, I may have let him play with it for the day. I mean, at least the guy had a decent only driver! (i.e. Teebird) If he continued to give pushback, I'd have tried to trade another of my discs for it. Assuming I really liked it, I'd have willing to buy him a new one similar to the one he was returning.

Any response would require communication between two human beings. I do notice that new players don't consider that names on discs mean much, and I can understand that. But for us who put names on discs, and especially for those of us that try to get found discs with names back to their owners, demonstrating courtesy is one way to pass on the disc-returning culture to new players.

(And yes, I stopped reading when things started getting a bit heated. Hope I didn't miss anything important.)

No, he believed in the Rule of Law. Change must come through proper channels.

He often wrote about mob violence, so I believe he was fearful of innocents being wronged by mob justice.

Real interesting discourse in this thread. In a general sense I on one hand understand that the law says that a lost disc is still yours - this has been rehashed one or more times in every one of these threads. That being said I tend in the direction of finders keepers, mostly due to my outlook that a lost disc = litter. I think relevant to the weighing of moral actions, we should take into consideration that a piece of plastic being recovered from the woods or body of water carries its own benefit for everyone. I'm all for encouraging divers and bushwhackers to recover lost discs even if it means that a particular piece of plastic does not end up in the same hands that flung it and lost/abandoned it.

Nah, you're not picking up that lost disc and throwing it in the trash, and you probably aren't picking up any other plastic litter you see. (I may be wrong about that last part and apologize if I am.)

Oddly, some of us do that, as we carry trash bags. Usually reserved for cleaning up after dogs! But if you got a bag.....

To all the people who are insistant that lost disc that are found still belong to the original owner I have a few questions. If a disc is found at a public park with no name on it what do you think the finder should do with it? Leave it there on the thin chance that the original owner will eventually find it? What if they find it in the lake? Should they throw it back in the lake? What if there is a number and after several calls and messages left no one calls back? As I said before when I find discs with phone numbers I always call but I do it because I choose to not because I think it is an obligation or law.

Just not to start a new thread:

I found a pair of sunglasses on the course a couple weeks ago that sat in my bag since. No name/number.

Played a round with a couple buddies yesterday, showed them my find, and one buddy was like "are those [the brand, I forgot]? Ah, I lost those here!" He didn't request them back, but chuckled that I found them.

He's a guy that likes sunglasses. He has a pair for all outfits, essentially. Anywho, I gave the sunglasses back. Asked for no money and he said thanks. We continued our round happily.

/Also, i am kind of surprised this thread is still going. Probably has gone full circle a few times ;)

Cheers :)

This has got to be the 20th incantation of this thread. (finders keepers vs. do the right thing). Reading through a dozen of the previous threads, this thread droning on is no surprise.

To all the people who are insistant that lost disc that are found still belong to the original owner I have a few questions. If a disc is found at a public park with no name on it what do you think the finder should do with it? Leave it there on the thin chance that the original owner will eventually find it? What if they find it in the lake? Should they throw it back in the lake? What if there is a number and after several calls and messages left no one calls back? As I said before when I find discs with phone numbers I always call but I do it because I choose to not because I think it is an obligation or law.

If the public park has a lost & found I take it there. If they have a facebook page or website I post on that. If there is no lost & found and no web presence I will either leave it in a basket if I don't want it, or I will keep it.

If it is a disc I have never tried, it may make my bag. If it doesn't I'll eventually give it away.

You say; "If a disc is found at a public park...", what do you do if you find one at a private course?

I think people should post pictures on their local facebook page if they find uninked discs. But not everyone has access to the internet or a smart phone. So benefit of the doubt. It's a lot harder to feel salty about someone that keeps a disc without a name or number. But when someone puts their name on a disc they are basically asking the finder to try to get it back to them as a courtesy. I understand not everyone feels compelled to reunite people with their property. I don't really want to be around people that think that way but that's just me. But I wonder what would happen if a person could literally prove that a disc belonged to them and wanted it back from someone who had it. Oh wait.

If the public park has a lost & found I take it there. If they have a facebook page or website I post on that. If there is no lost & found and no web presence I will either leave it in a basket if I don't want it, or I will keep it.

If it is a disc I have never tried, it may make my bag. If it doesn't I'll eventually give it away.

You say; "If a disc is found at a public park...", what do you do if you find one at a private course?

The reason I said public park is because many private courses have a pro shop or office you can leave them at . If not then not really any difference.

I think people should post pictures on their local facebook page if they find uninked discs.
...I understand not everyone feels compelled to reunite people with their property. I don't really want to be around people that think that way but that's just me.

While I generally agree with your posts in this thread, seem to be a little full of yourself here. Returning discs should be easy, but it can be a huge pain with some people.

For marked discs I text a picture of the disc and a picture of the location I leave it hidden. (I've also had 2 discs returned this way) Unmarked discs are fair game, but I give a shout to groups ahead of me, leave it on the ground, offer it to someone else and have kept a few.

You are right. I'm making a jump to "if someone will not return a disc, what else will they do?" which is wrong. What I should have said is that I don't want to be around people who don't respect others and to me that includes respecing their property, yes even frisbees.

Last edited:

The same as any other found object that has some value.

You're not obligated to try to get it to its owner. But you're not entitled to take ownership, either.

Leaving it is always an option. Perhaps not as noble as making some attempt to return it to its owner, but an option nonetheless.

Unless there is evidence to the contrary, for all you know it might have been there for 5 minutes, and the owner will find it. I've certainly come across many discs whose owners were still on the course. Or it might be found by someone who'll make a greater effort to return it than you wish to.

If it's unmarked, I don't think the finder has any obligation to re-unite it with its previous owner. If they didn't care enough about it to make it easy to at least attempt to return it, then they can't complain if it never comes back.

If the disc is marked with a name and/or contact info (phone, email, etc), the finder's obligation is to attempt contact. If there's no response to repeated attempts, then I think the next step is up to the finder. If they want to keep it, give it away, sell it, whatever, that's their call.

If there is an apparatus in place at the course where you can turn found discs in (a lock box, a pro shop, park office, ranger station, etc), I think the obligation should be to turn it in regardless of whether it is marked or not. It's minimal effort and it takes responsibility for what happens next out of the finder's hands.

Latest posts