Charlotte, NC
Eastway Park Share
Uploaded By: SpainKiller Hole #18 (Taken 11/2015)
Hole #18 Short Tee

Solid course with a few minor shortcomings.

5+    6/15/2017   6/15/2017
Review By: Mike C
Pros: + Excellent mixture of open and wooded holes. While Eastway lacks the consistently technical lines of Charlottes more wooded courses, I find that makes it stand out. It compliments what the area has to offer very well.

+ Superb variety in hole length. Especially from the longs, this course plays longer than the average 18 hole course. This is something I specifically look for in a course. There are multiple 500'+ and 600'+ holes to test your distance. To me the length is one of the more notable features when you compare this course to the ones surrounding it. If you enjoy throwing long drives but you get bored by completely wide open courses, you'll love Eastway.

+ Certain holes feature very well thought out pin placements. #17 is perched on a steep hill that makes you think twice about your putt. #4 appears to be an ace run from the tee but anyone that's played Eastway will know to lay up, as it sits on top of a large, steep hill that punishes overshooting the pin. #8 is placed on a raised putting green ringed with a small rock wall, making the hole play longer than it appears on paper.

+ What elevation the land offers was utilized very well. In particular I really enjoy the downhill #2 followed by the uphill #3, especially playing the longer versions. #11 and #12 feature a slightly downwards sloping green that makes them play a bit shorter than their lengths suggest. #16 has a gentle downhill slope I've always enjoy, and lastly #18 long has a steep hill ~250' in front of the tee you'll need to throw over to have a good look at a birdie.

+ Tons of benches.

+ Great signage, save for a few vandalized tee signs.

+ #2-7, and #13-18 (Minus #17's tee) offer a fairly secluded experience considering how densely populated the area is. While #10 and #11 have you playing next to a busy road, you can easily forget the rest of the world exists on some of these holes.
Cons: - Has some thick rough in spots. If you hyzer out early on #2, you're in for a bad time. If you griplock on #12, you might not see your disc ever again. If you throw deep on #13, you'll slice your legs open trying to find it. Between this and the length, I think this course may intimidate someone just starting out at disc golf. I'd play it a little conservative your first time until you get a feel for the fairways.

- Multiple holes play over or near the park entrance road. Traffic isn't heavy enough that is a major concern, but playing near roads is always worth noting as a potential safety issue.

- Has trash issues. For some reason the trash cans here are often over flowing.

- Homeless people are sometimes sleeping in this park. This has never been an issue for me as they have kept to themselves, but its a sad thing to see. Kind of dampens my mood guiltily thinking about sociological issues when I'm out for a relaxing round of golf.

- Over the years I've come to feel Eastway can feel a little too open at times, which is ironic considering that's what drew me here in the first place.. 7-13 are pretty much wide open, as well as a few others, though they do play along a tree line with an OB road, so that helps make them more interesting.
Other Thoughts: Eastway attracted my attention early on, because when moved to Charlotte I was used to more open courses. Most Charlotte courses are heavily wooded, so when I asked for suggestions for more open courses, I was told to visit Eastway and Frank Liske.

Eastway is by far the more interesting of the two. I would much rather play it than Rotary Park, despite Frank Liske offering numerous opportunities to air out some distance shots. Courses that wide open get boring fast, while Eastway balanced the open bomber holes with shorter technical shots.

I think the stand out feature of Eastway, aside from the longer than average holes, is the sheer variety you'll encounter. Playing from the long tees on holes like #3, #9 and #14, you'll find great contrast between those and the shorter holes like #1, #4 and #17. You'll need a diverse arsenal of shots to birdie every hole, and will need to consistently hit your line. The course never comes close to feeling claustrophobic like some courses can that are densely wooded for an entire 18 holes.

I'd suggest pairing this with one of the numerous nearby 18 hole courses. Reedy Creek, Sugaw and Kilborne are all a short drive away.

This is a solid course that I think anyone above the beginner level would enjoy.

Pleasant Surprise in the City!

2-4    2/4/2017   2/6/2017
Review By: danmcdnc
Pros: This course to be honest is very fun, has some phenomenal holes, but ebbs and flows based on where you are. The first six holes are mostly wooded, and offer great variety and a challenge. Hole two is a monster and challenge if you play the long basket into the woods, approaching 600 feet. When you get to hole seven, you're on the road for the wide open, which is great for slinging it your best. Once you go back to 13 you're back into variety, trees, and what makes this course worth it. The pin placement on certain holes (2, 5, 15, 17) really makes for a few holes that are unique and you do not get at every course.
Cons: This course could honestly be split evenly into thirds, with 1-6 being mostly wooded, 7-12 just along the road and lacking variety, with 13-18 back to more trees. I know they had to find a place to get 6 holes in, but you're almost guaranteed to par on the middle holes without much fun or variety.

Be careful, it's not in exactly the best area of town, so just be aware. Also, there aren't many garbage cans in some areas. I feel like hole one should be hole seven so you play the open ones first before venturing into the wooded ones and get warmed up.
Other Thoughts: I live in Davidson and will drive a half hour to play this course, so that means something with Bradford, Robbins, and Bailey all within ten minutes. The look of the course and layout is very spread out and great for a longer round, and you wouldn't know you were right in the city based on most of the holes.

You get to throw your hardest on almost every drive, there are some more technical and narrow shots on a few holes, and this course won't beat you up much. I suggest making the trip into the city and hitting this and Kilbourne up if you get the time.

This is a "parky" course

5+    10/26/2013   11/5/2013
Review By: JrodMan
Pros: Eastway is one of the nicer courses in the Charlotte area! Whats nice about this course is that a lot of the holes are OPEN! You can really strecth your arm on your tee shots. The holes that are in the woods are also nice cause the fairways are not so tight that your consantly hitting trees. Most tee boxes have benches and the tee signs are in very good shape!
Cons: The only Con I can think of is that on hole 17 somebody stole the basket! Sometimes you have to wait for cars to drive by cause some holes require you to throw over the road into the park.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is fun to play! Its great for beginners and pros! If your in the area and have time play the course you won't be disapointed!

Very Nice

1    5/26/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: NC-Tuc
Pros: A great mostly open course to air out some discs! Very cool place to play. Didn't expect this nice of a course for such a busy area. It's tucked away enough to forget that you are in between to very busy intersections!! A variety of challenging holes and some nice confidence booster holes as well. Very nice layout. It flows fairly well. Beautiful trees!! Very cool Huge Oak tree where a house use to be.
Cons: Some holes had over flowing trash bags. If I'd brought some bags I'd cleaned up some. Next time I'll bring bags.

Other Thoughts: A must play if you are in that area.

Eastway: The Black Sheep of the Family

2-4    5/23/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: dndelli
This review was updated on 5/30/2013
Pros: Most of us in Charlotte have noticed by now that Stan McDaniel loves creating courses that make use of the philosophy "high risk-high reward". Eastway Park is definitely no exception. This course is very challenging because the fairways neatly cut out of a very dense pine forest that is surrounded by extremely thick, tall brush filled with thorns. The manicured fairways on the majority of the course provide a nice reprieve from the wooded courses we North Carolinians are accustomed too. However a few holes on both the front and back 9 will take us back to our roots- trying not to trip over tree roots (pun intended). Holes 2, 3, 9, 13, 14, and 18 all have long pads to throw from. (13 and 14 are not use in tournaments.)

However, people with big arms will really enjoy this course. The fairways are long, open, and for the most part clear and easy to see. Using proper equipment with DISCatcher Pros and concrete Pads, we can see that this course truly does belong in the Queen City. The park itself offers a soccer field you can use to warm up your drives, a restroom facility, a practice basket, volleyball court, and a nice playground for your children. This course is also less than 5 minutes away from Sugaw Creek and fairly close to Kilborne and Reedy Creek- allowing for a fun Saturday full of Disc Golf.
Cons: As I said in the above section, the roughage on this course is extremely rough. If you try to throw the green every hole, without complete control of your disc, expect to lose one (eventually). In the least be ready to check yourself for ticks when you are done playing. The long pads are a nice touch that beef of the difficulty for experienced players, but since 13 and 14 aren't used in tournament play, their extended fairways are generally overgrown and harder to navigate. If you choose to play Long, I would skip 13 and 14; not only are they overgrown from lack of use, they will make your round less smooth because they are both kind of out of the way. 5 Holes are played up and down the road that leads into the park, which provides a nice challenge, and sets up interesting shots. Unfortunately staying in close proximity to the road for such a long period of time becomes stale and breaks the secluded feeling a lot of the park benefits from. Hole 14 lacks a real short tee pad, and is thrown behind a spray-painted line (which can be harder to find for newer players.) There is also a distinct lack of benches and trash cans along the course. The combination of all these things makes me hesitant to give the course a higher rating. UPDATE: Just played here again, and there are a few more benches than I remembered there being. Due to this, I am going to give the course .5 points higher. Some of the brush can still be treacherous, but really the lack of trash cans along the holes hurts the most. Which is unfortunate since so many holes are easily accessible to empty the cans.
Other Thoughts: More work seems to be going into this park. I love the long open shots on a lot of the holes, and appreciate the change of pace from the course designer's general trend to keep things tight and technical.

Just like other courses in Charlotte, after my 3rd play-through, I have absolutely fallen in love with this course. This past round I didn't hold back as much because I knew the course better, and let my drives open up. Some of my drives were thrown a bit off my line, but luckily I was able to keep an eye on all of them so I didn't lose anything. (Almost did on 5, somehow overthrew the basket without hitting a tree.) I didn't like it as much until this last round, but 16 is probably my favorite hole on this course. If you have the distance and accuracy to park the green, it is super fun. (I wouldn't suggest going for it, unless you are fairly confident in your distance since the fairway is lined in thick brush.)

Favorite Holes: 2, 5, 8, 13, 16

Beastway

2-4    5/18/2013   5/19/2013
Review By: tater66
Pros: Long drives on many holes, very tight technical shots on others. This course really makes me think about how to play a hole, and then requires a good shot to stay out of trouble.
Cons: very hard to find discs that get into the brush, at least in the late spring / summer. Probably no too bad in the late fall & winter.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, a good mix of tight technical holes & bombers. Very challenging!

Worlds Road Trip

1    7/7/2012   1/24/2013
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -Good tee pads
-Good Tee Signs
-Baskets are in good shape
-Good mix of hole types (RHBH, RHFH)
-Good use of elevation
-Interesting pin locations
Cons: -Wish there was more wooded holes
Other Thoughts: I am from Ohio and I went on a little road trip with some friends right before Worlds. We wanted to play as many of the courses we could and get an idea of how challenging they would be. Needless to say, it was an awesome experience. We played behind Catrina Allen, saw Michael Johansen practicing, and met Paige Pierce... As for the course, it was beautiful. A great layout of the area and use of the land. No hole was the same. Everything was different. I loved the use of elevation. I guess I have it a 3.5 because I was spoiled playing Hornet's Nest, Renny Gold, and Winthrop before I played here. It is still a great course and I highly recommend playing here if nearby.

One for the big arms.

1    6/2/2012   6/9/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Eastway is all about open; it gives you some wooded holes to balance it out but make no mistake, this course is the alternative to the wooded technical juggernaut that is Charlotte disc golf.

A huge plus for this course is that it can suit a wide range of player levels. Beginners will have fun because they're are very little trees in their way. More skilled players with distance have a chance to get out and let some shots rip.

The open holes are generally designed pretty well by adding some risk and making you think twice before just letting one go. There's OB and some thick woods lining fairways; as well as some well designed basket locations near OB and on the crests of hills.

There's not a ton of elevation out there but where there is it's used very well. Some of the baskets are on knolls to make you think about where you want to place your drive. Overall I'd say this is a placement type course and you won't find yourself worrying about hitting a gap like many other courses in the area.

The wooded holes out there provide a nice balance even though they aren't overly wooded themselves. You will have to shape a few shots to land in good position for a look at birdie.

7 holes have longs which is either a long basket or long tee.

The course flows well and it was pretty easy to find your way to the next tee.

Equipment - Teepads are concrete and appropriately sized in most cases. The baskets are in good shape.

Atmosphere - I played the course while it was getting ready for Worlds so it was very well manicured with lush grass. It's a nice looking park and when you get away from the road there are some very nice looking holes. There's some awesome looking trees out there. It has the city park/rolling hills feel to it.

The design is done well to keep you away from the other park activities.
Cons: Layout - Having so many holes run up and down the park road is a drawback. There wasn't much traffic when I was there but I could see it being a pain.

The wooded holes give balance but I wish a few more of the shorter holes were a bit more technical.

Part of the course feels a little repetitive and there's a lot of straight throughout the course.

14 long is imo ridiculous. To play down a tight gap for 300' with an island of OB there which is nothing more than a dead end road is an eyesore and bad design, the shorts on that hole work just fine.

Equipment - The pads on the longer holes need to be wider or more flush with the ground. Nothing is more frustrating to me than having to worry about stepping on to a teepad a few inches off the ground when I'm trying to bomb something and land close.

There's no signs or traschans.

Atmosphere - I prefer a feeling of solitude when playing dg and here you don't get it. A good many of the long open holes aren't great looking holes because they run next to the road. The immediate rough off of fairways is super thick.
Other Thoughts: I'd give this course a 3.25 if it was an option. If it didn't have the road running through the middle and gave you a bit more solitude it would definitely be a 3.5. The open bomber fun factor is why I rounded up instead of down. I enjoyed my round so it gets the bump up.

The course probably leans a little to open for most peoples taste but honestly I loved it. I've got a big arm and the chance to get out of woods for a round was a little piece of heaven.

Favorite Holes -

2 long - great downhill shot from the open in to the woods with OB running through it which gives great risk/reward.

3 long - really fun uphill shot in to a protected green that sits on a steep incline. if you've got the arm you can deuce it.

5 - best looking wooded hole on the course with a creek running through it and to the left of a rollaway green.

13 short - my favorite bomber hole, it has more eye appeal than the ones by the road.

18 short - beautiful tunnel shot with a Y tree right in the middle down the fairway; and the basket elevated so you can see it through the Y.

Holy Hell an open course........well mostly.

5+    6/1/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: This course can be one of the most beautifu courses in charlotte when it is groomed.

It is mostly open which is a nice change of pace

Really nice pads and teesigns.

There are several fast greens and OB that can cause headaches which balances out the openess of the course.

I like the few wooded holes that will test the accuracy of the player and have a "Survive to score" feel to them.
Cons: It can get a little rough at times during the summer. and become a disc eater.

There are no trashcans and the course can tend to get messy at times.

Directional signage could use a little help. The road can be busy at times and could be seen as a negitive to many however I find the OB factor to be worth it.

Other Thoughts: This course, when groomed is absolutly stunning and has some of my favorite holes in charlotte( 2 long, 17, and 18). It gives you a chance to air it out but with the risk of OB on almost every shot.

I definatly recomend this course to anyone visiting for a change of pace and the fact that its located withing a 5 min drive of 4 other courses.

Solid & Open

5+    5/15/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: curmudgeonDwindle
Other Thoughts: Course located in a multi-use community level park on Charlotte's east side, and plays out over largely cleared piedmont landform with utilities/water catchment earthworks. The park's main feature is a long entrance road, which parallels railroad tracks, and 7 of the courses' holes play out along this road. Due to the 'cleared' nature of this park, not only does this yield a different 'feel' from other area courses but, without a doubt, the time, expense and difficulty of construction was a relative 'breeze'.

The course is predominately sequestered from other park activities and the park's overall scale is large, about 90 acres, which yields substantial opportunities for future course developments.

Amenities and equipment are above average, overall, but the creek fords don't inspire the greatest confidence. Tee pads are inconsistent regarding their size. 15 of the targets are mounted at the standard height. Signage was non-existent at the time of writing, but routing is orderly; the only way-finding issues are minor and exist mainly in quickly finding long tee locations. Course does not have returning 9s, but does offer a nice 10-hole returning loop (1-8, 17&18).

Course should experience a high volume of play, as not only is it extremely 'play-able' but also players here experience some relief from the harsh technical demands of other area courses. Substantial play-affecting wind is a consistent factor here. Few real drainage problems extant 'in the short grass' even after above average rain events. Parking overflows into #7's fairway on busy park days and this park is busy.

Overall the course decidedly favors stable clock spin shot shapes from the tees, however this is balanced by the trouble (read: thick rough & ob areas) for poor fade control of same. Frequently even on straight holes, the tee is set to the side of the fairway which gives a stable clock spin shot shape 'more room' for play. Stable counter spin tee throws strongly favored on 'road holes' regarding ob (ob is on the left); 'road holes' equal roughly 1/3 of the course.

Course will reward conservative play with a strong emphasis on fade control. As is generally the case with courses in this area, there are high rewards for flat straight shots of up to 300' (re: iconic #4). Course uses terrain changes very effectively, blunting the relative uniformity of hole distances. In fact, only a single hole (on the short course) is flat (<2% slope) from tee through green. Eastway also offers 3 very enjoyable downhill tee shots in 'free' air (read: ace runs). Elevation changes are perhaps the single factor most important in creating a 'fun' course, with a returning challenge. Extensive roller play possible when turf is shorn (a roller on these days may be the best scoring option from the tee, which is an unusual feature for courses in this area).

Course is 'fair' in the following aspects: overall scoring chances, few blind holes/landing zones, and very open greens, however long throwers could overwhelm the back nine or the entire course for that matter. Some rough is extremely penal, not always in keeping with the size of the throwing error. Of note are the course's intentionally cleared bailout areas, all of which favor a fading clock spin shot.

Course displays good creativity in green locations and in the main, greens are exceptionally open. Half the greens are flat (< 2% slope) and the other half are either moderately sloped or feature lag-inducing drop-offs. As for spin receptivity, 10 are neutral and another 5 are more 'clock receptive'.

3 greens merit special mention. #5 is a tiny knob, surrounded by ob on 3 sides, which repels both spins, especially at speed. #8 is a clock receptive knob (from the tee), with steep drop-offs on 3 sides, and #17 is specially constructed to dramatically enhance the sheer drop-off along its right side. Reviewer appreciates this trend toward constructed features in disc golf, as not only do they improve the play experience, but also help mitigate safety and erosion issues (more foot traffic = need for more maintenance & more concern for safety).

The differences between the long and short courses consist in the lengthening of 6 holes. Four holes are directly extended and the other two become doglegs, one left and one right. The only potential 'design issue' would be the large ob area in the middle of long #14's fairway. This constitutes a blind carry of roughly 400', which some might consider 'unfair', but since only those wishing a greater challenge would play it, this issue is minor. Once one knows it is there, play decisions follow accordingly, as there is the opportunity to 'play it safe'. #18 long is a terrifically imposing uphill look from the tee.

Eastway is one of this area's most enjoyable courses because it is so open. Not only does it allow experimentation with the different dynamics of disc models in 'free air', but also there is plenty of wiggle room here to experiment with different shot shapes, especially created from the disc's angle, which is a rare offering in Charlotte, where the omnipresent design ethos can be quite suffocating. Conversely, if one's score is high at Eastway, one cannot blame it on the trees.