Lula, GA
North Georgia Canopy Tours Share
Uploaded By: marc Hole #3 (Taken 10/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Good Play in a Great Environment

1    5/16/2020   2/22/2021
Review By: Shadrach3
Pros: A course of high quality on private acreage in North Georgia.

-Amenities: Signage, concrete or rubber-on-wood tees, DISCatchers, paths to next hole. Also fastidiously maintained by course caretaker.

-Environment: There is no single hole that made my jaw drop, but Lula is consistently a very pleasant place to play. It's also somewhat secluded, and nowadays I think disc golf is all that happens on the property, so there's an element of privacy. There's a mix of hilly and flat, woods and meadows, with a creek or two.

-Variety: Quite good. You start with terrifyingly tight (1), but by (5) you've transitioned briefly into the meadows, only to return to the woods by (7), and such changes continue throughout. The progression of the course regularly mixes in tighter and looser fairways, contributing to a nice uniform feel. The chicken coop is also definitely a piece of entertaining variety, even if I think it's a little overhyped.

-Shot Shaping/Gameplay: Very Good at the lowest. The elevation and density variety make for a compelling mix of plays. There are short but tricky shots like the massive downhill (3) and the wooded valley (8), open fairways requiring a bit of touch in the 300' range, multi-shot par-4s like open (5) and (15) and wooded (11) and (17), and of course the big par-5 (6) playing a straight meadow to a steep pocket green in the woods. I think Lula will require intense focus to score well, but it's not a scary championship monster.
Cons: -Shape Variety: This is the category that keeps Lula from being a top-tier course. Looking at the scorecard and the beauty, it's got all you would expect a great course to need--but it's missing too many curves. (11), (14), and (18) are the only holes that have substantial curvature built into the fairway, with the pocket approach/green on (6) as well. It's not like every other hole is a tunnel shot, but the shape is some mild variation on straight. In my observation, Lula doesn't deliver chances to explore all the flight paths of discs. (For comparison, even though I have it rated lower, I enjoy playing a certain downtown Atlanta course more than I enjoyed Lula my one time.)

-Access: It's not hard to get here, but you'll have to arrange something with the caretaker as noted on the DGCR main page. Times are limited. It's also $10 per person, which is very reasonable but not a mind-blowingly good deal.

-Disc Loss and Searching: Decent probability of losing a disc. Some areas of rough are fairly thick, as expected in a natural environment, which might very well slow down your gameplay via searching.

-Navigation: Some very slight issues in the (9)-(14) range. Just an annoyance on the first time, not a points deductor.
Other Thoughts: Lula is an Excellent course that wants to be Phenomenal. It has no critical flaws, as attested to the fact that it has received only one review less than a 4.0 (excluding its first year when newness was a major con). It doesn't quite have sparkle, variety, or shock factor to bring it up to a 4.5 for me, but it's definitely worth playing. The only course I have rated higher than it within an hour of Atlanta is Hobbs Farm. Enjoy your surroundings and trying to beat the course here.

-Temp Holes: At times an extra nine holes are set up for tournament play. I haven't played them myself.

Oh Lula, You're Breaking My Heart

1    5/4/2019   6/28/2019
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.343 Rating) Commonly referred to as Lula from those in the Atlanta Metro area. This jewel of a course crisscrosses some amazing hilly and wooded terrain. Due to a two tee layout, it can be enjoyed by Recreational players thru Advanced level.
- RAW BEAUTY - I could hear angelic voices as I walked up to the first tee, and then again on the mulligan throw. The scenery at Lula is exquisite. One amazing hole after another. Then number of average looking holes is zero. My three favorite lines were holes (3), (15) and (17) and I'm sure this would differ greatly if a poll were taken. The environment reminded me of the IDGC and Lake Claiborne courses, all of which are courses I've scored at or above a 4.5 for beauty.
- UNIQUENESS - There's a shot on this course that I've seen nowhere else, and I've played 367 courses as of this review. The chicken coop hole. Like many before me, I unloaded all my drivers and then promptly concluded that I'm no good at this game. The variety for the remainder of the course is outstanding. Several big down shots. The tee signage elevation estimates are very much underestimated when researching the topographic information online. Online data indicates that several down shots are in the 30 to 50 foot range. There are also parallel stream plays, big doglegs in both directions, up shots and valley shots. There are a couple openish holes and also a few tight technical plays. Hole distances vary from 800 foot par 5s to sub 200 foot par 3s. I'd put the overall variety into my top 15 as of this review.
- CHALLENGING - I was 3 over par standing on tee (17) when a torrential downpour promptly ended the round. As an Intermediate player, I was more than humbled by the challenges presented by the back tees. I figure it takes about 950 rated player to average par out here. The course requires both power and technique from the back tees. Course management and taking what the course gives you is key. The Hail Mary plays will likely lead to even more punishment. For those not looking for an Advanced level beat down, there's a second set of tees set up for Recreational players.
- FACILITES - The extras away from the course are what you'd expect from a top tier course. There's a huge indoor lobby and lounge area. Large covered outdoor deck with numerous picnic tables. Pretty sure they have drinks and snacks available for purchase, although I didn't verify. Also primitive camping and zip lines.
- NAVIGATION - Excellent. Scorecard with map comes with the greens fee. Informative tee signage that even has pin placement indicators. Next tee direction on the tee signs as well. Intuitive pathways between many holes and a few navigational cues. The only time I questioned my steps was between (9) and (10), which was noted by the employee that I paid the greens fees to.
- CHARACTER - In addition to the facilities and navigation, great basics overall, and a bunch of extras. A tournament board was evident walking to tee (1). Two concrete tees on 16 holes. Tees sizes are good being 5 feet by 12 feet. Lots of tee shading and tee seating. Baskets are the perfect brand for a wooded course, DISCatchers. Lots of multiple pin placements and a practice basket.
- MAINTENANCE - I was surprised by how good of shape the course was this late in the spring. It's got to take a lot of effort to keep up this sprawling property. I applaud the owners and maintenance staff.

Cons: The issues are basically limited to preferential things that make little to no impact on my ratings.
- FORGIVENESS - Although the shorts tees are appropriate for Recreational players, for those that can't hit 20 to 30 foot lanes consistently, the course can become very punishing. When there's a ricochet in the wrong direction, scrambling for par may take a miracle. A few of the sun-bleached fringes had intense overgrowth.
- TERRAIN - Players that have bad knees or ankles should probably avoid coming here. There are lots of undulations in the fairways. The layout does appear to be somewhat cart friendly, so a Zuca should work well out here.
- TIME PLAY - Hard to give an exact time as my twosome got delayed 30 minutes for a moderate downpour on (5) and then completely rained out on (17). Definitely much longer than normal. I figured since its similar in style and length to IDGC Warner, I'd expect a group of four will be in at around 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- DRIVE-WAY - A near mile long dirt and gravel road to get to the clubhouse.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - It is not appropriate to play here without 50 to 100 rounds of disc golf in the bag.

Other Thoughts: Lula is one of the best all around courses I've ever played and it's currently in my personal top 10. This is a no doubt destination course and it was the anchor course for GMcAtee's and I's road trip. Players that live within a 4 hour daytrip range need to plan a trip here. For those in the Atlanta area that haven't played here yet... believe the hype, it's spectacular.
- PAY TO PLAY - I want to say I paid ten dollars for me and GMcAtee to play here. 100 percent worth it for this course. If you cannot avoid to shell out $5 to play this course then you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Great place for some unique holes

1    7/13/2018   7/18/2018
Review By: blake833
Pros: It's easy to see how this course record is a hefty 13 down- this course offers a great balance of challenge with chances. You can definitely get some chances at birds, but you have to hit the challenging shots to get there.

NGCT is a great disc golf course, because they really didn't hesitate to use some of their best yet unused land. Some of the holes are long, some are short, and there's two sets of tees that really change the nature of the hole so you can change it up whenever you get tired of one tee.

The obviously most unique hole on this course: the CHICKEN COOP hole! You just throw from one end of an old chicken shack to the other, indoors. It's a little weird, but it's definitely memorable!

Despite some steep slopes and forest, it's pretty hard to lose a disc out here. All 18 are on land that's either pretty open, or the rough isn't that bad. Or indoors (just hole 12 though).
Cons: Two tees and two pins makes so many options. But there's only baskets in one pin at a time, so you just have to know where the basket is. It's tough.

Some of the uphill holes are pretty steep, but really what can you expect?

There's nothing really notable to complain about here, if it's not already obvious. What's holding me back from giving it a higher review? I think it's just a great course, but nothing amazing. They did a great job designing it, and maybe this is just the best that can be yielded from the land without bringing in a Houck.
Other Thoughts: Playing through a large piece of land and up and down some steep hills, be ready for some hiking. Bring some water with you, especially if its hot outside.

Make sure you go into the main building to sign the waiver if you've never been there before. They have a good trilogy line up to if you need to restock on anything, or bring a friend and convince them to buy their own disc!

I stopped on my way from Atlanta to Johnson City, and loved this course. It's not too far from the city, easy to navigate, and a quick round if you play the short tees. Good luck!

Joys of disc golf <3

1    4/14/2018   4/15/2018
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -This is hands down, not up for discussion, the best course in the area. By a long shot. Not only is there a disc golf course, but you can go zip lining and there is camping nearby if not on site. The course design is spectacular.

-The staff is very friendly. The front desk woman was extremely polite and after the round, the guys at the desk were very polite as well. The clubhouse is really neat. It has some discs, t-shirts, and other souvenirs. There are scorecards and pencils at the desk.

-The practice basket is near the pond on the way to hole 1. The course starts on a high note. A steep downhill 310' footer from the long pad that plays like 200'. The elevation drop is much more than 15 ft. I think most of the elevation changes stated on the signs are understated. The short pad is a straight downhill ace run. The short pads here are more friendly for recreational players.

-Tee-pads are nice. You get to tee off on a few decks as well.

-It continues to be good with #2, a mid-range shot around a tree. The woods are very dangerous to the right so it's better to be left. Hole 3 is incredible from the long tee. A very straight and steep downhill that can be played as a putter drop shot. Easily one of the signature holes here. The hole after that is very picturesque. It has a small creek in front of the pad.

-Distance comes into play. Holes 5 and 6 are both long holes. #5 is about 600' from the long pad. It's a bomber hole down an open fairway. The basket is over the gravel road and is very close to the OB creek. #6 is probably the "monster." It's over 800' from the long. It's about 450' from the short. The hole is open about three fourths of the way from the long pad, but pine trees play all along the right side. The fairway goes left into the woods and very steep uphill. I had maybe a 460' drive off the pad and threw a hyzer and I landed into a bush. An easy birdie turned into a lucky par save. Course continues to be difficult with a technical hole 7, but is followed by a 170' downhill ace run.

#12. Oh yes!! The infamous "Chicken Coop" hole. The ultimate low ceiling shot. I freaking love this hole! It's so original and creative. There is a lot of dirt on the ground so skip shots don't happen on this hole, so you'll need to have the perfect height. This hole is much harder than it looks, but it's a true gem. Hole is followed by two fun downhill holes.

-Some cool basket placements. The guarded green on #11 is nice. The steep hill on #15 is neat. #18's green is probably my favorite green. It's slightly elevated but if you land short and then miss the putt, you could roll if you are unlucky.

-There is a mini-golf course across the parking lot. Fun for the whole family!
Cons: -Not many at all. Just too much debris in the woods on #13. The hole is downhill at least 30' in elevation and the zipline course is above the fairway. I had a perfect straight shot that hit the zip line and I landed right. Luckily, I was pin high but I thought I was shorter and further into the woods. This course is not easy on first timers because there are parts of the rough that are forgiving, and parts that are brutal.

-The driveway is long and rather bumpy.
Other Thoughts: -I've wanted to play here since the year 2012. I'm just about certain you'll love this course. There are dual sets of pads and alt pins, which maximize variety. This course just about has it all. Elevation, short holes, long holes, woods, open holes, doglegs, straight holes, etc. There was even a windmill beside #5's pad.

-I didn't mention this in the pros, but #17 was another awesome hole. It's a very difficult par 4 from the long pad. It's downhill and fades a bit to the right. The fairway is tight the whole way, so par is a great score on this hole. It's a beautiful hole that's very technical. Placement is key here. This was a signature hole in my book along with many others.

-Don't forget that this is a pay to play course. It's $5 to play and there is a minimum $5 purchase for visa. But you'll be glad you paid that $5. This course is a true gem and I can't wait to go back.

Extreme Disc Golfing

1    9/3/2017   9/4/2017
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 11/24/2017
Pros: A private pay to play course ($5.00 per person per day, well worth it) set in the beautiful Georgia high country. Hole 1 lets you know right out of the gate what you are getting yourself into with a gorgeous over the valley shot through the woods. My friend's fancy phone said that we went up and down the equivalent of 12+ staircases on our playthrough, although it felt more like 20. Great selection of hole types and lengths,

There is a hole completely inside of an old chicken coup. (imagine playing inside of a 400' long airplane hanger and you get the idea).

Very nice tee pads, generally two per hole, and nice signage. Navigation flows fairly well (see negs) and there are enough benches, many strategically placed after rough climbs. The course is well maintained and has a very chill vibe to it. There is a nice clubhouse that sells discs etc and a restroom facility with a shower.
Cons: Not many problems here. The navigation gets a little weird in the middle of the course including a strange transition from hole 9 to hole 10. Make sure you get the map/scorecard when you pay and with that and your intuition you should be fine.
Other Thoughts: This course will test you. There is a brutal uphill climb between holes 6 and 7. Every hole here has elevation changes on it and the terrain ranges from nice grass to rocky clay. I strongly recommend sturdy hiking shoes for this one. A must play if in the area, provided you have the constitution for it!

One of the best in GA

1    9/4/2016   9/4/2016
Review By: Studog
Pros: This was a great hike through the mountains and valley. There is some nice elevation changes, where you throw high up, or way down low. The hole where you throw inside an old chicken coup makes the course worth the drive by itself, as I have never seen any other course with one of these yet. It has decent signs, cement tee pads, and small signs pointing to the next holes. The scorecard also has a small map of the course on the back, which actually did help a couple of times. Driving from the main highway to this place puts you on to a gravel road for a bit into the mountains, but I highly recommend the course. I hope to go back and play it again soon.
Cons: There were a few holes where they should probably build some stairs. One in particular is near the beginning, where you throw way down and over the gravel road, walking down to the road. I agree with one other reviewer that said it could use a couple of holes where it turns left or right immediately off the tee pad. I think this course would be quite difficult for newbies.
Other Thoughts: I lost my PDGA logo disc toward the end, near the creek. :( Maybe it will find its way back one day. If you find it, I'll pay for the shipping, and add a few extra bucks as well.

Very Fun Course

1    8/27/2016   8/28/2016
Review By: DiscGolfMaster
Pros: Finally a long course that doesn't focus on making you throw 400ft bomb drives to score well and get birdies. You can score well here with accurate drives and upshots and smart golf. Nice shot variety. Some easy birdies here without being total gimmies. But those holes are offset by much more difficult holes. Some long par threes, but most play shorter than their numbers. The chicken house hole was phenomenal. It plays shorter than 350ft since your disc skips easily on the flat dirt floor. Just keep it low. I can easily remember each hole after the round since they are all very different. Course was well maintained. Lots of benches and cloth trash bags on several holes. Brooms on most holes, which I see being more handy when the leaves start falling. Next tee signs everywhere. Nice amenities. We even took a shower after playing since the bathhouse for the camp was right there.
Cons: Even though shot variety was good, I feel it could be a little better. Thinking back, most holes are pretty straight and I don't recall ever having to throw a hyzer off the tee. If a few of the holes curved left or right off the tee then this course would be perfect. I don't like writing cons for this course because it really is amazing and very fun to play. Definitely one of my favorites.
Other Thoughts: Highly recommend checking this course out. We will be going back soon for sure. The 5 dollar fee is totally worth it. I managed a 58 playing every lie by the book and I will be very hard pressed to manage that again next time. Definitely a hard course to come out under par on for the majority of players. But playing challenging courses is what helps your game evolve to the next level. Playing this course will test all your skills and will make you a better golfer for sure.

North Georgia Canopy Tours

1    4/9/2016   4/12/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has concrete tee pads for both pro and rec tees

Has tee signs with current basket placements

Has many benches throughout course which can be appreciated given the elevation changes

Good mix of open/wooded fairways with doglegs and elevations

Water comes into play on some of the holes but the creek is shallow and narrow enough where it shouldn't be a factor in losing a disc

Had whole course mostly to myself on a Saturday afternoon (one other group that I saw)

Scorecard with course map reveals an easy way to play 9 holes here (1-6, 16-18)

Free parking

Restrooms
Cons:
I'm hard-pressed to come up with any but here it goes:

$5 fee for all day play (well worth it in my opinion and it includes a scorecard)

NGCT requires you to sign a waiver to play

This is a very nice course and probably one of the best that I have ever played. I probably would have enjoyed it more if there weren't 20mph gusts on the day I played. Much of the course have tight fairways here so I had to sacrifice distance for control on many drives. The course is pretty challenging and will expose any of your weaknesses (if you have any). You can also zipline here if you have any leftover energy after playing. I will definitely play here again.

Lula is a lulu...

2-4    3/16/2016   3/20/2016
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
Pros: North Georgia Canopy is a beautiful piece of property in the rural setting of Lula Georgia.

This pay for play site had plenty of parking, restrooms, and a place to get beverages. The staff was extremely nice.

DisCatcher baskets were in good shape, and the placements were in some very difficult locations.

Tee pads were adequate in length and grippy. Most were concrete and a couple were wooden platforms.

2 sets of tees on most holes.

The course flow and navigation was fantastic. It was a first visit to the property and we had NO issues at all finding the baskets and the next tee.

The course is VERY difficult from the back tees. Even though I felt it to be difficult, not once did I feel that it was unfair.
Elevation changes on are severe on some holes and you will need to be able to control your disc to score well. The pictures on this site are nice, but the slope seemed to be more severe than in the pictures.

I found putting to be difficult on this course. Several of the pin locations are in prime spots for a roll away.

Hole 12 is a one of a kind hole.

The property was exceptionally maintained. Benches on most holes and no trash to be found.

You will need your entire game to get around this track. You obviously will have to work the disc off the tees, but shots with poor lines will require ALL your skill to recover from.

Cons: None worth mentioning!!
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful test of disc golf. There is a $5 a day green fee. You will also need to sign a waiver and give your health condition. This course will require a very good effort to play. The hills are severe and you will need to be able to gather yourself to play a quality shot after walking up and down them. If you enjoy grassroots disc golf then you will love this place. I would recommend it to any serious player. Don't be afraid to play the short tees if you think it will be too difficult for you. I played both tees and found the front tees to allow rec players to enjoy the site.

Must Play!

1    7/4/2015   7/15/2015
Review By: JBoggus75
Pros: Good layout
Multiple Tee Pads
Multiple Pin Locations
Mix of Shots
Hole 12
Other Thoughts: The best part of NGCT is it challenges your game in every single way. A lot of courses are very repetitive, but not this one. I loved the mix of wooded and open holes, the mix of long and short, and the great variety of shots needed. Hole 12 is one of my favorite holes ever just because it is so unique. If you're from Atlanta or in the area, you have to come out and play here. It's worth every bit of the $5 they charge as well!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5