• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

10KLDG - Minnesota Disc Golfers Unite

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I've seen the discussions among MN members, much of it on the GGGT thread. It appears as though we have a strong showing on these forums but no formal gatherings that I have seen.

I grew up in MN, and spend about 6 months a year here, generally ~2.5 Months in the spring, ~2.5 in the fall, and ~1 in the winter.

So I propose a get together Saturday Feb 5 (the day before the superbowl) 12:00 noon at BRP. A wonderful place to play in the snow. We'll descend upon their winter "league" (not really a league, an average of about 5 people show up each week to play on saturdays in the winter) a friendly welcoming group of people.

Of course the Time/Location/Day are all up for discussion after we gather some input.

Any Discussion?

I've seen the discussions among MN members, much of it on the GGGT thread. It appears as though we have a strong showing on these forums but no formal gatherings that I have seen.

I grew up in MN, and spend about 6 months a year here, generally ~2.5 Months in the spring, ~2.5 in the fall, and ~1 in the winter.

So I propose a get together Saturday Feb 5 (the day before the superbowl) 12:00 noon at BRP. A wonderful place to play in the snow. We'll descend upon their winter "league" (not really a league, an average of about 5 people show up each week to play on saturdays in the winter) a friendly welcoming group of people.

Of course the Time/Location/Day are all up for discussion after we gather some input.

Any Discussion?

It would be nice to get out with some people, but alas until I get back into the classroom fulltime and find that perfect teaching position so I do not have to work my second job, I am stuck working Friday and Saturday nights while I substitute. This means that it is nearly impossible for me to get out to BRP unless it is a holiday or a tournament. You do not go to BRP unless you are prepared to be gone from home at least four hours.

However, there is the Winter Carnival this upcoming weekend at Como Park. It is sponsored by GGGT and I am scheduled to play in both the Saturday and Sunday tournaments and the overnight marathon. I have a pass from the wife and work to attend these. I am flex starting around noon on Saturday, finishing up around 3pm, warming up at some local restaurant, returning to tee off for the marathon around 6pm, finishing that whenever my arm or legs fall off, and then flex teeing off for the Sunday tournament at 9am. If you any those are good times, let me know and we can get a larger group going. A friend of mine is playing with me starting Saturday and the marathon but cannot make the Sunday. I have two other friends who might play but definitely would only play one of the two days, again likely Saturday. Sunday sounds pretty lonely right now.

The course for the Winter Carnival is 28 temp holes set up around Como Park near the zoo. It is the same layout every year with a few minor tweaks here and there. Great for all phases of the game. If anything, it lacks huge elevation changes but beyond that it has everything else as it weaves in our mature trees of a park, a small patch of younger trees, around park landmarks and fixtures, and a few long distance open field shots. You do have to play a little cautiously because a few shots are near active roads, but we are only talking about insanely bad turnover shots that are going to cause problems.

I've definitely been considering the winter carnival, haven't decided on a day or times yet, but either of those could work for me, my dad would probably also be tagging along. I'll get back to ya if and when I decide to head out there.

There we go! You guys won't be disappointed. I'm a real cheap date and I put out.

Winter weekends are tought for me with a kid in hockey. I'm game for anything once hockey season is ovwer with though.

Garrett, league starts in March. March 19th at Rosland Park to be exact. It is a preseason and player's meeting, but I would like everyone there who is going to play or is considering playing this year to show. I would like to see money as well but it will not be mandatory until the April event.

There we go! You guys won't be disappointed. I'm a real cheap date and I put out.

If that is the case, I can throw in 5 dollars as well.

If, IF, you are planning on playing in the marathon overnight round, you have to attend a winter camping survival seminar tonight. It is free and it is recommended people attend even if they are unsure whether they are going to play in the overnight marathon or not. If you do not go to this class (6:30-9:30pm, Monday, Jan 24th), then for sure you cannot play overnight.

The seven day forecast is predicting that night to be a decent night for winter. Obviously things change and you cannot trust the forecast more than two days out, but I am hopefuly considering the weather we have been having the last week. Last year's weather was fantastic so I am hoping for a repeat.

I tee off at noon on Saturday since it is a flex start, finish around 3pm, heading to a local restaraunt to warm up and tape lights to my night discs, tee off for the marathon around 6pm (unless Char wants us there earlier), play until I drop, and then tee off for the Sunday round at 9am.

While it may make it slow going, I love playing in bigger groups. Obviously having more spotters and those who can kick up snow where they think a disc landed definitely helps, but I find the company of a lot of people who know how to have a good time essential for having fun.

Garrett, league starts in March. March 19th at Rosland Park to be exact. It is a preseason and player's meeting, but I would like everyone there who is going to play or is considering playing this year to show. I would like to see money as well but it will not be mandatory until the April event.

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll talk to Alfs about it next time I see him as well.

I would love to join you guys with this but im working that day (feb 5th) so i can take sunday off to watch my Pack play in the SuperBowl. If the date changes tho someone should let me know.

Wow, there seems to be a lot of interest here. Let's all meet up this summer, hit BRP on a busy day, and clog it up even more with a 20 man group :p

Any city players interested in meeting halfway this summer at St. Cloud? There are a couple solid courses there.

I'll definitely do St. Cloud at least a few times this year, I love several of the courses around that area, and my grandmother loves it when I visit.

We'll keep this thread as our headquarters and plan meetups at BRP, St. Cloud, Cities area courses, and if anybody wants to come to southern MN, I'll show you around some awesome courses down this way.

What courses have you played in Cloud? What's your fave? I love Riverside, if you're feeling daring Millstream is just plain sick.

I really like Hidden Lake, though I wish it would be better kept, maintain the fairways pour some concrete tees, but I love the layout. It's a tossup between Millstream and Riverside, I really like 'em both, I played the Northstar throwdown at those two last summer, the tourney layout was sick at both of them. Then not too far east of cloud is Clearwater, sportsmans hill, a short technical challenge that I could play every day and not get bored with it. Then, not too far beyond that is Becker, I love that course too. I've also played a handful of the others, Calvary was fun, crowded, and didn't excite me too much. Northside and River's Edge were decent.

Calgary seems to be a newbie hang out. I want to play Becker, there's a course in Rice if I'm not mistaken, have you played it?

Latest posts