• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 bag for an old fart

I'm 60, soon to be 61....I throw mainly 168-172 wait and I'm curious....would lighter weight be good for me to try? I mainly play on a very windy course....how do your 150-ish discs work in the wind?

Depends on your power as well. Generally speaking most older players should benefit from lighter discs off the tee, especially in a no wind or tail wind scenario. I think you'll be surprised at the easy distance a 150g class disc will yield. The key thing though is to throw something more overstable the lighter you go. I have a paper plate Destroyer that is the envy of anyone who throws it. lol...

I was just looking at G* Roadrunners this afternoon. All I was finding though was 175's at Infinite. Did you get yours online or local?

Online. I like high 150s for drivers so I have learned to grab a stack when they are available.

What weights are you looking for?

Online. I like high 150s for drivers so I have learned to grab a stack when they are available.

What weights are you looking for?

Right now I carry Pro Wraiths and Valks at 157/158 and love them both. I carry a 167 Pro Sidewinder which is working out great, but wanted to try an RR in the 158 range as well.

I live at just over 5000' and get nice turns out to 300' with the Sidewinder, but that turn goes away on trips to the mountains.

Right now I carry Pro Wraiths and Valks at 157/158 and love them both. I carry a 167 Pro Sidewinder which is working out great, but wanted to try an RR in the 158 range as well.

Disc Golf Center recently had G* RRs in the high 150s.

I live at just over 5000' and get nice turns out to 300' with the Sidewinder, but that turn goes away on trips to the mountains.

Haha, yes I threw lots of annys in the Colorado mountains.

I can't remember did you get your hands on a fission Wave yet?

No, I wanted to try out the CN Wave first, to see if it would fill the overstable distance slot (instead of the Pro Wraith). Pro Wraith seems to have a bit more distance for me, but my drives have been so short lately that distance drivers haven't gotten much of a workout.

Holding off on my next order until someone has Star Wombat3s in stock again. When that happens I'll probably grab a Fizz Wave for fun.

But I've really been digging the 158 G* Roadrunners lately. Deflashed with a few parking lot slides, G* RR holds a gentle turn pretty much to the ground. I even toss 'em sidearm from time to time.

Didn't read the whole thread, but if you are liking 158g RR, you'll love 156-158g Diamonds. True story![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't read the whole thread, but if you are liking 158g RR, you'll love 156-158g Diamonds. True story![emoji106]

Heh. I used to throw Diamonds. Fun disc. There are certain throws that I could only do with a Diamond (or maybe a Mamba) that I miss having.

The problem with Diamonds was that maybe 2 out of 5 flew the way I wanted. The other 3 were flippier than I liked. And I'm not willing to buy 5 discs to get 2. :\

But it has been a while, so maybe they have worked out the consistency issues.

No, I wanted to try out the CN Wave first, to see if it would fill the overstable distance slot (instead of the Pro Wraith). Pro Wraith seems to have a bit more distance for me, but my drives have been so short lately that distance drivers haven't gotten much of a workout.

Holding off on my next order until someone has Star Wombat3s in stock again. When that happens I'll probably grab a Fizz Wave for fun.

But I've really been digging the 158 G* Roadrunners lately. De-flashed with a few parking lot slides, G* RR holds a gentle turn pretty much to the ground. I even toss 'em sidearm from time to time.

I saw the Wombat is back in stock it was gone for the 3 top version as that sold better due to wide variability on the top I say get the Star Wombat and flat top the mold? All the fact that I can't find 3 top of molds and Shark 3 getting replaced has me thinking is Innova stopping the 3 top versions of molds as a plan even before Corona Virus?

Last edited:
Heh. I used to throw Diamonds. Fun disc. There are certain throws that I could only do with a Diamond (or maybe a Mamba) that I miss having.

The problem with Diamonds was that maybe 2 out of 5 flew the way I wanted. The other 3 were flippier than I liked. And I'm not willing to buy 5 discs to get 2. :\

But it has been a while, so maybe they have worked out the consistency issues.

Similar results here with the less than 150s but the heavier glimmers or moonlighters are much more consistent. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fall update:

G* Roadrunner has replaced Star and does what I wanted an RR to do - hyzerflips, gentle right turns, minimal fade, and often gets out there with my distance drivers. I've been tossing the G* RR a ton in the woods. Almost had a RR RR deuce on a long, uphill, low-ceiling hole.

Found some Star Wombat3s online. I prefer the 167s vs the 171 - seems to have a bit more glide.

Tried the Fission and CN Waves but so far neither has wowed me. Probably use them as water carry discs until gone.

So the bag is pretty much the same. Still tossing everything BH and FH. Pro Wraith often stays in the trunk when I play woods courses (which is mostly what I play).

Distance:
157 Neutron Wave: main distance driver, very straight in the woods, flicks nicely
157 Pro Wraith: Starting to season, but still a reliable fade

Fairway:
158 Star TL: stable and workable
157 Plasma Insanity: understable to S-curve, main woods driver
157 G* Roadrunner: understable

Midrange:
167 Fuzion EMac Truth: stable
167 Star Wombat3: straight to understable

Putters:
171 XT Stud x 2: putting, straight approach. One fresh, one seasoned
171 Medium Harp: overstable approach, headwind putts

Spring update: Couple of minor changes

157 GL Sapphire replaced 157 Pro Wraith. The Sapphire has a little less HSS, which makes it longer than the Wraith, but has a reliable late fade. Except for the late fade, Sapphire flies very much like the Neutron Wave, which makes it easy to throw. Seems to work better with my sidearm than the Pro Wraith, too.

167 Lucid Truth replaced 167 Fuzion EMac Truth. These were some old Lucid Truth backups, but they reminded me why I liked that particular mold and plastic. Lucids are a little easier to work vs. the EMac Fuzion.

Wish I had picked up more 157 G* Roadrunners when they were available. I'm down to two, which makes me reluctant to throw them now that everything is leafing out. Lost one to ferns and impending darkness this evening.

Pretty minor changes but hey, I've been pretty happy with my bag.

Hey you and your G star.. I bought a 166.. I think it's your fault. RR were always a good time and a good mold... I used to have a 160 champ that I threw for my old dog Jake (started throwing it for him because I thought it was crap and I was passed that "speed" of disc, then I loved them again).. All day long out on jobs throwing it out un installed Windows haha.

Nice to see you stay settled in your bag, it's weird when you are finally are so old/smart/intouchwithyourbag/setinyourways that you just don't care about new stuff anymore. Just "tweaking".. Good to see you are there buddy! It's a good place to be...

Reminds me: I need to post in " discing down adventures" only it's no longer by choice :D

PS: I think my bagging the insanity is your fault too

Last edited:
Wait, I have 2 Insanity's and 3 Roadrunners in my bag right now. Not a single one was in there last October BEFORE I visited Maryland. You may be onto something :D

Well he definitely was one of the guys pushing plasma waves too now that I think of it... I got a blue one off him that's unreal!!! Is this some kind of cult?!? Have I been brainwashed? It still seems like it's dirty though... :D hmmm.

Well he definitely was one of the guys pushing plasma waves too now that I think of it... I got a blue one off him that's unreal!!! Is this some kind of cult?!? Have I been brainwashed? It still seems like it's dirty though... :D hmmm.

I also own a couple Waves (not bagged currently) that I didn't own last October. I wonder who gave me that idea? This Monocacy guy is bad news it seems.

Unless you really love flippy, lightweight drivers. Then he's good news I guess. :thmbup:

So we're just a couple stalkers really. It's starting to add up.

Well if it makes you feel better.....I switched to waves as distance drivers last year (just lost my plasma one tho) and I currently bag two insanities that I bought from Monocacy (and a wrath). I've bagged an Insanity for years though so it's not a new thing for me, although I've never bagged a 150's class one till now......

But if I ever bag any version of a Wombat....put me out of my misery :p