• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 bag for an old fart

Been reading through. My form has been wonky so I decided to transition to standstill season early this year.

Wondering about getting some 150 class drivers.

Fastest way to clean things up is throw 150 class putters and mids. Neither takes kindly to bad form. And when you clean it up a bit, they are actually really fun to throw too.

Been reading through. My form has been wonky so I decided to transition to standstill season early this year.

Wondering about getting some 150 class drivers.

Worth a try, see how you like them. Like Keller said, lighter discs fly great on a clean throw, but are less forgiving of wobble.

I don't know what you normally throw but 150-class Teebirds fly great and are usually available. Valkyries and Leopards, too.

Worth a try, see how you like them. Like Keller said, lighter discs fly great on a clean throw, but are less forgiving of wobble.

I don't know what you normally throw but 150-class Teebirds fly great and are usually available. Valkyries and Leopards, too.

yes! jump in! you really won't regret going light for awhile.

Totally right on the 150's definitely worth a try, they are fun, since I have pretty much a 157-165g bag I like to mess with a 147 tesla for funsy's, light and stable, kinda different.

I don't know if I could do 150 putters, it's been a long time. I like the weight for putts, glide is why I dropped the magic...

Always a pleasure to see your simple bag. Mine mirrors it pretty well haha :D

I was throwing a couple 150g M JLS last winter that I really liked. Surprisingly stable top, on par with the upper 160s Sirius JLSs I had the time.

I'll have too look around and see what's available these days.

I was throwing a couple 150g M JLS last winter that I really liked. Surprisingly stable top, on par with the upper 160s Sirius JLSs I had the time.

I'll have too look around and see what's available these days.

In normal times, a lot of MVP discs are available in sub 160 weights, even in their regular plastics. Likely hard to come by at the moment though. They also seem to maintain their intended flight characteristics better in lower weights than most others.

I bag a 156 neutron insanity and have thrown a 158 proton wrath in the past. light discs are fun and super useful.

Fastest way to clean things up is throw 150 class putters and mids. Neither takes kindly to bad form. And when you clean it up a bit, they are actually really fun to throw too.
Absolutely! I bag 2 Omegas at 150 and 151 and they are my moneymakers. They hold up to wind fine as well. I don't bag any mids or drivers that light but I have a couple I could shuffle in.

Thinking about just picking up a Discmania Active Line starter set. $15 for a 150 class putter, mid, and driver seems cheap for a fun little experiment.

One casualty of a cross-country bagging trip was the near depletion of my light Star Roadrunners. Since this is my most-lost disc and no replacements are available, I ordered some 161 Star Sidewinders to test (lightest I could find). I used to throw 150 Champ Sidewinders years ago, and my recollection is that after knocking the "new" off they were controllably understable and quite long.

XT Studs and Colts are are also not available. I have lots of nicely seasoned Studs for putting, but no freshies for stable approach shots so I ordered some Electron Envies (mostly regular, but a couple each soft and firm). I used to love the Envy, but I threw them before Electron plastic was available (I don't like premium plastic putters). Hoping the Envies will beat to straight-stable approach discs reasonably quickly. Heck, maybe I'll even give them a try as putters.

Been a while since I have tried out many new discs, and I am looking forward to it. :D

Oooh I'm real excited about the bag changes. I hope the envy lives up to expectations. I was actually on FB today checking a couple of friends for some backup 174 cosmic e soft..... I hope it does the same thing for you it does for me.

Hex is still in I'm assuming.. A premium hex and an electron envy is an excellent pairing. I've often played that with a driver for 3 disc.

Hope the sidewinders work out too... I had a magical champion one back in the day but I (maybe wasn't patient enough..) Couldn't find a decent replacement. Star might have worked.

... May I submit for you my gyro biased opinion... Haha..
With the new fission out and weights below 150 that maybe it's time to revisit the Wave.... I've got a 148?ish FR SE one that's a turn machine... killer glide etc I'd place it as less stable than my star 167 RR but a very familiar feel. Big anny arcs even at my dwindling power. Just saying if you got money to burn take a few more steps and come further over to the Dark(rim) side!

Oooh I'm real excited about the bag changes. I hope the envy lives up to expectations. I was actually on FB today checking a couple of friends for some backup 174 cosmic e soft..... I hope it does the same thing for you it does for me.

I hope so, too, although I do not plan to change my screen name. ;)

Hex is still in I'm assuming.. A premium hex and an electron envy is an excellent pairing. I've often played that with a driver for 3 disc.

Yup, still loving the Hex. Lost one on the trip throwing a sidearm too low on a downhill ace run hole with the basket just past a smallish but surprisingly deep and steep-banked creek. With plenty of Hex back-ups I was not willing to go wading in barely-above-freezing water. :\

... May I submit for you my gyro biased opinion... Haha..
With the new fission out and weights below 150 that maybe it's time to revisit the Wave.... I've got a 148?ish FR SE one that's a turn machine... killer glide etc I'd place it as less stable than my star 167 RR but a very familiar feel. Big anny arcs even at my dwindling power. Just saying if you got money to burn take a few more steps and come further over to the Dark(rim) side!

I do have a couple of light Fission Waves (153 and 157), and I had just taken them out of the closet to give them another shot for exactly the purpose you mentioned. Great minds, eh? Or maybe similarly warped minds . . .

Yeah man, we really do throw the same bag.. More or less. :D
I don't think you have any of mine, I've still got those 3 mono plasma waves I'm hoping they fit better again this summer, but my DD is the 158 cosmic n insanity right now.

Hmmmm Envocacy? Mo-Envy? MEnvy? MonocrackEnvy? Monacacringenvy?

Last edited:
At this point, I imagine it's tempting to sell those 150 class discs for huge return on investment. I'd hate to be trying to put a whole 150 bag together right now. So hard to find.

At this point, I imagine it's tempting to sell those 150 class discs for huge return on investment. I'd hate to be trying to put a whole 150 bag together right now. So hard to find.

Haha, I could be disc golf rich. But then what would I do? ;)

Yes, shopping would probably be easier if I tossed heavier discs. But to be fair, most discs seem hard to find now.

Haha, I could be disc golf rich. But then what would I do? ;)

Yes, shopping would probably be easier if I tossed heavier discs. But to be fair, most discs seem hard to find now.

Disc golf rich. I like it.

I tried to find some 150 class drivers for a friend recently. She tops out around speed 9 and every time she loses one of her irreplaceable starlight valks is a dark day. All I could find were some 150 dx leopards at GGGT.

I tried to find some 150 class drivers for a friend recently. She tops out around speed 9 and every time she loses one of her irreplaceable starlight valks is a dark day. All I could find were some 150 dx leopards at GGGT.

Lighter weight Diamonds are available here and there.

^ That's a good suggestion. Diamond is kinda like a Starlight Valk-lite. Fun disc, but when I threw them years ago the stability was pretty inconsistent from disc to disc.

Finally got out to test recently-ordered discs, so I played with the following bag:

Distance:
155 Neutron Wave: Main distance driver, very straight in the woods, flicks nicely
159 Fission Wave x 2: These flew great today, BH and FH. Compared with Neutron, Fission Waves have a bit more dome and low speed stability so I can throw them hard and not worry about turning it over too much. I might roll with an all-Wave distance driver lineup and see how it goes.

Fairway:
161 Star Sidewinder x 2: More stable than I prefer, but as I recall Sidewinders need some seasoning to fly right. I wish I could find a speed 7 or 8 driver that was controllably understable and available in 155-162 gram weights. Seasoned Tourney Hatchet was my favorite understable fairway, but only available in heavier weights. Are Diamonds still all over the place, stability-wise, or are they more consistent now?

Midrange:
168 Neutron Hex: Still digging this disc for the stable/neutral mid slot
171 Star Wombat3: Looking forward to trying an Uplink

Putters:
173 Electron Envy x 2: One regular, one soft, but not much difference below freezing. Man, I forgot how much fun it was to ThrowaEnvy. Point and shoot, straight-stable-neutral, long for a putter, and sidearms nicely. Looking forward to beating up some yard putters so I can carry one beat and one fresh Electron Envy.

^^^^^^ Aye mate. The new Orbit Diamonds start off flat and straight at 150-152g. Time will tell how they evolve. Alas like all Diamonds of my experience if you turn them over with pace they stay turned over unless it's a moderately elevated turnover... then they float for evvvver. Sure wish they'd mold at 158-162g. But, I've had really good results with 158-159 Gold Sapphires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts