• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1st Time playing in the rain

dgar

Par Member
As a newbie I'm enjoying a lot of "First" this morning got up planned to play for an hour or so sky was looking gray.. about the time I could head out the rain had started.. should I go should I stay. Well the newbie excitement got the best of my, so headed to the course. On the way I was thinking to myself " your crazy" but not one to let that stop me I proceeded on. My plan was to play the 1st five holes on my home course all heavily wooded thinking the trees would offer a little protection.. well it worked okay ended up playing twenty holes steady drizzle to moderate rain but the trees helped, an umbrella would have been nice at times, but it wasn't that bad.. feel like I cheated Mother nature and still got in my Golf fix.. ahh the excitement of a newbie

I've done this many times. I love playing in the rain. The key to having fun in the rain is having plenty of towels. And a rain flap for your bag.

Good for you getting out there and still playing. I don't mind the rain but at all but I do have a nice rain suit. Go to any tournament where it's raining and you can easily spot the people who have practiced in the rain and those who haven't. The latter are normally towards the bottom of the leader board.

I love playing in the rain because the course is quiet so you aren't waiting in line to tee off. Plus you can practice by taking multiple drives/layups/putts. Here are my tips for playing in the rain:
1) keep yourself as dry as possible by having some kind of rain coat and a hat,
2) carry an umbrella - not for yourself but for your bag and discs,
3) keep a towel over the discs in your bag and a separate towel over your puters,
4) carry one or two towels for removing the mud off of your discs and one or two micro-fiber towels to wipe the excess moisture off your discs - micro-fiber towels are the greatest tool for keeping your discs dry,
5) buy a Birdy Bag or create your own by adding dry dirt to a plastic bag - keeps your hands dry,
6) watch out for slick areas of the tee or ground and,
7) have fun!

Good on ya Mate! A true disc golfer is like a mailman, "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor dark of night..."

The only weather I won't play in are thunderstorms. Temps below zero, no problem, 3 feet of snow, no problem, 2+ inches of rain, still no problem. 90+ degrees and unbearable humidity, and this old geezer is still out there.

All I need is the right clothing and my illegal smile and I'm there.

I'm really surprised that everyone has basically said the key to playing in the rain is staying dry. Not true. Sure, this is subjective and others may not feel the same way, but I don't think there's anything wrong with getting wet. As long as it's warm enough. When I go play in the rain (warm temperatures), I wear the normal clothing: moisture wicking shirt, light breathable shorts, athletic socks, and good hiking shoes that dry out well. None of it is cotton, everything gets soaked, and I play completely fine. I also only use discs that have good grip, that way I don't have to even bother with towels and an umbrella. I've tried keeping an umbrella, wearing a rain jacket, using towels to keep my discs dry, and I don't have anywhere the amount of fun doing all that than I do when I just face the fact I'm going to get wet and that's ok.

Edit: Biking socks work best in my opinion. My feet get completely soaked and I don't even notice.

I set a course record yesterday in some rain. To me the key is staying dry, that means having atleast 5 towels, a good umbrella and some good clothes. Of course once the rain reaches a certain degree of intensity it will start affecting your game regardless of your equipment.

We played a couple of crazy rain rounds in the butt cold (well, for east Texas butt cold) at Linsdey Park in Tyler. Horrible rounds, lots of fun. Completely wiped by the end of the day.

I'm really surprised that everyone has basically said the key to playing in the rain is staying dry. Not true. Sure, this is subjective and others may not feel the same way, but I don't think there's anything wrong with getting wet. As long as it's warm enough.

We're in the minority here.

In a light rain I try to stay dry, but any more than that, I just play soaked. Once my hands and discs are wet, I'm OK. My trouble is in that borderline area where I'm trying to stay dry and can't quite.

some of my best enjoyment of disc golf comes from playing in the rain, not necessarily my best rounds, but it's always good experience

I dont mind playing in rain. downside is here in OK rain = 90+% humidity = ugh. But my personal biggest thing is slipping on the teepad. I have a longish run up because it's comfortable for me and a longer lead foot stride... that can mean the splits sometimes. Learning to shorten things up is crucial for me personally in the rain.

Good waterproof shoes, an umbrella, grip bag, and some funkybeefs towels make playing in the rain a non issue for me. I just seem to get hurt when there is excessive mud that's my concern most times.

Latest posts