• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2011 Ace Race Putter

We had 30 packages, the lightest Pro D we had was 177g and the lightest ESP we had was 179g. Over 1/2 of the discs were 180g. We had nothing I would have called "light."

Not a big deal since it was advertised as a heavy, large-diameter putter. We got what they said they were sending. There were just no light ones to make a comparison to.

It is a great approach disc, and off the tee for <250' holes. I tried putting with it, and it just doesn't feel right in the hand for putting, but it's definitely found a place in the bag.

I'd say about 100ft at ours. A couple up and down hill and a couple hyzer and anny line.

Practice with a Mako, if you have, to for the line and a Challenger for the feel.

I have a 168 mako but Its so beat In I couldn't describe how it would fly new. I'm pretty good with lid style discs so Ill just hope that translates into the race

Using this disc for 60 straight holes was by far my most miserable disc golfing experience ever. This disc is quite possibly the most useless disc I have ever thrown.

I didnt go to an ace race but I did just acquire one if these putters and I must say I really like it a lot for drives and approaches. The flight is very comet like just slower. For those that say its flippy, to be blunt you are wrong. This disc is nuetral. I was throwing it on 300+ ft hyzers today with no problems, as well as just about any other line even shorter flex shots.

This disc jived with me right away. I assume because ive been throwing Comets for a long time. Its in my bag. The glide is also pretty damn suhwheet. As a putter putter I think it stinks but as a thrower its puttah buttah.

For those that say its flippy, to be blunt you are wrong. This disc is nuetral. I was throwing it on 300+ ft hyzers today with no problems, as well as just about any other line even shorter flex shots.
To be fair there were plenty of softer peach colored Pro D ones with a sunken top at the Ace Race I attended, and unlike the others, those were definitely understable. Not flippy, but understable.

The Ace Race putter is a very slow putter with TONS of glide. It almost hovers in the air. But my discs are doggedly understable. They didn't turn very far, and never turned and burned, but they refused to hold a hyzer and never came back once they turned over. I would say these putters don't hold any line you put them on, but they never stray far from straight and they make a nice, soft landing. The main thing I don't like about them is that they're squirrely in the wind, and my Ace Race day was windy.

Definitely set your Ace Race up with lots of SHORT holes around 100-150'. Others at our Ace Race had much more success than I did, and the winner had 3 aces and 2 metal hits. One other guy had 1 ace but 7 metal hits. I never touched anything all day, for two rounds of 42 holes, but I was among the minority in that. Maybe it's just a good disc and I don't have a feel for it yet. I'm reserving judgment until I get more time to throw it on the course, but my best bet is that it will become an approach disc for me. I'm already too happy with my Voodoo and Ridge putters for it to take over my main putting role, but I do like the way it glides and lands softly, so I'm hoping I'll develop a feel for it.

I found that I had some differences in stability between the two plastics. After a few holes I put a hyzer on both and it seemed to help the two play more alike.

No aces but a good amount of metal.

Okay, I just tested the ace race discs again for couple of days, and I noticed something that I didn't figure out when I was playing in the race. I noticed that I changed my grip, and it worked better (but not great). I'm too lazy to take a picture of the grip, so bear with me as I try to describe it. For backhand throws, I seems to benefit the best if I held the disc with Three-Finger Power/Accuracy Grip, but my index finger is actually on the wall of the rim. Now, for those who love the discs, what grip did you use? I'm very curious because the discs still doesn't feel comfortable in my hand.

I referred to this page: http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/daves-tips/daves-grip-tips.html

Bought one here in the marketplace since I'm TD'ing an AR - I want to make the course suitable for the disc. I'm hoping to have lots of Aces at my event.

Anyway, mine is a Pro-D @175g. I really like it and actually have put it in my bag for fun the past 2 days. I like that I can snap it on hyzer and have it flip up and drift over and finish to the ground on that really smooth late-turnover line. It is also really fun to play catch with - one of the more fun pre-round "catch" putters I've thrown. I was playing catch at about 200' and found it easy to be accurate with.

Also - anyone who still thinks this can't be thrown over 300' is crazy. I was ripping 250' line drives (literally giving it no height). It's got nice glide for a putter.

Also - anyone who still thinks this can't be thrown over 300' is crazy. I was ripping 250' line drives (literally giving it no height). It's got nice glide for a putter.

Agreed. Within ten minutes of getting mine, I was hitting a verified 295' off of a hole with about 7'-8' in elevation. I have no doubt that I could stretch this to the equivalent of 300' on flat ground with a little practice and favorable conditions.

It's only like the Rattler in the sense that it's slow and straight. It's definitely a modern style putter, not a lid. You don't have to be as careful with it.

Latest posts