• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 GBO!

DiscNutt123

Double Eagle Member
Who's all making the trip and where are you coming from?? Three friends and I are making the trip from North Texas!

ad7a4f04.jpg

i too am signed up. We're gonna have an awesome time Kevin!!!!!! I will be trying to wear as much DFW stuff as I can. My giant DFWFO sticker on my car also helps.

Signing up tomorrow and coming down from Iowa for the second year in a row. If you are travelling with others be aware that staggered tee times can make for long waits if your buddies play at different times. Bring something to keep you occupied or be creative in transportation.

Yeah this year with the timed starts will be different. and good I think. Their website is pretty confusing though. I can't figure out the exact schedule. Friday and Saturday say Flex Start C-Tier and Peter Pan? Is this year going to be a Fri, Sat and Sun tournament with 1 round a day? confued.

Rusco emailed back. and sent as followed. which clears it all up.

"Dynamic Discs is excited to announce that the 2012 Glass Blown Open schedule has been set and registration is now open! Last year the event featured over 350 competitors on four disc golf courses in Emporia, KS. This year we are opening up registration for 500 players!

The tenth edition is going to be the most prestigious GBO to date. The new format will consist of three rounds of play on three completely different courses. In addition to the Emporia Country Club and the Jones Champion Gold Layout the GBO will feature a round on the Emporia Municipal Golf Course. All courses will run on tee times this year allowing people to follow the leaders, participate in the Discraft "Just Focus" putting competion, drop bombs in the Skywalker Gymnastic Long Drive competition, check out Dynamic Discs Headquarters, or just kick back relax and save your energy for you personal pursuit of a championship.

Three rounds of golf may not be enough for some die hard golfers. To help satisfy the need for more golf, two separate C-Tier 'One Round Challenges' will be available at Peter Pan Park both Friday and Saturday. Each event is separate and features a flex start so that you can play either before or after your GBO round. Rounds usually take 1.5 hours to play in a smaller tournament setting.

Why change things up after the GBO has been so successful the last few years? Simple, Dynamic Discs wants to continue to push the sport, get more players, gain more media attention, and help put disc golf in front of more players than ever before in the Midwest region. Our generous sponsors have stepped up in a big way this year and are donating more than ever before to make sure that you make the Glass Blown Open and Emporia your disc golf destination event for 2012.

Our motto once again is "Livin' the Dream". We want you to feel like you are "Livin' the Dream" from the moment that you start your travels until the time that you get back home. We understand that making the GBO a three day event will take a tremendous commitment from you. Your commitment and support the last 9 years have helped the GBO grow into a great event, and we expect nothing less in 2012! Our expectations are very high and we know that you will leave Emporia and Dynamic Discs country with nothing but great things to say and memories that will last a lifetime.

The Glass Blown Open is more than just a disc golf tournament! It is a celebration of the sport, what it is becoming, and an indication of where it is going in the very near future. Dynamic Discs is dedicated to promoting and growing the sport of disc golf. Without the PLAYERS and the support from YOU, the DD events would be just another tourney! Thank you so much for your support and drive to help us take disc golf to a new level. We believe that, with your help, we are going to attract some attention and excitement from outside the sport to grow this game that we all love!

We are really looking forward to seeing you in Emporia, KS this April and know that you won't be disappointed with everything that we have planned. For complete event details please visitwww.GlassBlownOpen.com"

Man... I don't know about you Eddie, but that just pumped me up even more for our trip.

I will do my best to stay active on this thread and answer as many questions as I can.

Here is the most recent schedule.

2012 Glass Blown Open Schedule

Wednesday:
- Check in @ Dynamic Discs 9am-6pm
- Jones Championship Gold Course open all day
- Emporia Country Club 9am-12pm practice @ $6 per round
- Emporia Municipal Course 1pm until dark practice @ $6 per round

Thursday:
- Check in @ Dynamic Discs 9am-9pm
- Jones Championship Gold Course open all day
- Emporia Country Club 9am-1pm practice @ $6 per round
- Emporia Municipal Course 1pm until dark practice @ $6 per round
Friday:
- No official player meeting. See player book for all course rules and announcements.
- Tee Times starting 7:30-8am (1st Round)
- Flex start C-Tier @ Peter Pan Park 7:30 am until 5:00 pm
- Skywalker's Distance competition qualifier @ Jones Park 10am-5pm
- Discraft Just Focus Putting competition qualifier @ Jones Park 10am-5pm
- Poker & social @ Emporia Country Club (prizes to be awarded)
Saturday:
- Tee Times starting 7:30-8am (2nd Round)
- Flex start C-Tier @ Peter Pan Park 7:30 am until 5:00 pm
- Discraft Just Focus Putting competition qualifier @ Jones Park 10am-1pm
- Players Party @ Granada Theater 6:00-11pm
- Music by Russell Sawyer & the Lost Cause
- Food provided to the players
- Putting competition finals
- Alcohol available for purchase
- Natasha's $1 Draws from 11-1:30am
Sunday
- Tee Times starting 7:30-8am (3rd Round)
- Spectator Day @ Emporia Country Club
- 4:45-5:30 Distance Finals @ ECC
- 5:30 Awards Ceremony @ ECC

Courses

A Pool Muni Monster, Jones Gold, CC

B Pool CC, Muni, Gold

C Pool Gold, CC, Muni

Smitty, can we just walk up with a group to one of the c-tiers and sign up before we start the round? Or do we need to pre-register for them? We're not sure we're gonna play them, it'll be a day of decision based on our tee times for the GBO.

Both will be excepted. Since it is a flex start, we will not be rushed for time or overcrowded. I am thinking if you have a group of 3 you can take off and play.

This is going to be AWESOME!

Using the Granada downtown for the players party. Have also heard a rumor of closing down a couple of city blocks? It is going to be more like a festival I think.

First time at the GBO. I have heard DD puts on a good tourney, so I am looking forward to seeing what they put together. For those of my friends that aren't so easily convinced to sign up with me, can someone give me an idea of what was in last years players pack to help sell them on signing up?

Where To Stay

Okay, so this will be my first GBO. Can anyone recommend a hotel in Emporia? I'm looking at some of the hotels on the DD website and I do not want to spend a fortune at the higher end hotels. The Budget Host Inn had the best price. I plan to stay 5 nights, anybody else have any experience staying in Emporia?

Wish I was going after talking to Rusco last night but because of dubs, Duncan, paw paw, and worlds,and all the others, I have to pick and unfortunatly it didnt make the cut