• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

^ this could really bump up Ace counts and metal hits, because that 2nd shot comes right on the heels of the 1st... makes adjustments much more effective. Think about how often you follow up a shot immediately with another shot. Aren't those follow-ups usually pretty good?

I've played events on three different courses with double throws both rounds, it takes almost no extra time if you just let each person walk up to the tee pad and throw both of their discs (rather than making each person throw once, then each person throw again).

Well, last year we had a few beginners lose a disc in the water, even after I told them it was optional to throw or skip. That would mean every hole, the player that lost a disc would have to throw, and go get the disc and throw again. If I limited that to only 5 or 6 times instead of 18 per round, it would be faster. I'm planning on having about 40% beginners so we will see how it goes. I will post on here how it went. If there was no water on the course, or if it was avoidable, I would no doubt do 2 throws every hole.

Nah, if you lose a disc, you either buy another from the TD or just get 1 throw per hole.

^ this could really bump up Ace counts and metal hits, because that 2nd shot comes right on the heels of the 1st... makes adjustments much more effective. Think about how often you follow up a shot immediately with another shot. Aren't those follow-ups usually pretty good?

True

FWIW, in all the ace races I've played with that format, about half of my personal aces were on the first shot, half on the second. I did get a lot more metal hits though on my second shots.

Got our packs today, and I'm not thrilled with the variety:

64 155-159g (all the same color of green)
134 160-163g (decent variety of colors, but more pink/purple than anything else)
67 164-166g (OK color variety)
25 167-169g (all the same blue)

So, almost 300 discs, and not-a-one in the 170s. I also didn't seem to get anything as red or yellow/gold as in some of the pictures I've seen.

Highland Park, Altoona, PA

Just registered for the September 21 Ace Race in Altoona. Starting to get pretty psyched about it. I haven't played in a tournament in about two years. So even this fun event is getting me excited.

134 160-163g (decent variety of colors, but more pink/purple than anything else)

So, almost 300 discs, and not-a-one in the 170s. I also didn't seem to get anything as red or yellow/gold as in some of the pictures I've seen.

That looks like a great weight range for beginners to be able to throw a fairway driver, and that's who the event is really aimed at.

That is too bad. I played the first weekend and got a silver on 168-170 and a gold one 170-172.

141 signed up for tomorrow, should be loads of fun.

Hey POR guy, they said Raintree will have parking problems. Wanna pick me up for Race tomorrow?

Moraine's AR is tomorrow and myself, brother-in-law, and his work buddy are all heading down. 28 holes x 2, average length is reported to be 100 feet.

Hosting Albuquerque Ace Race tomorrow, no discs yet. 5:38p
Ordered 8/22.

UPS usually shows up a bit late here anyways. As late as 7pm sometimes. We'll see.

That looks like a great weight range for beginners to be able to throw a fairway driver, and that's who the event is really aimed at.

Well, a number of previous posts talked about only getting 1/3 above 170, or some that had mostly heavier discs. As I kept going through stacks, I was waiting for the heavier bunch. I think there will be a number of disappointed players, but we'll see what the reaction actually is on Sunday. I don't mind getting a decent amount of lighter discs to recommend to the newer players and kids, but our group will have plenty of advanced players. There will also be two later Ace Races in our area, so if people like the discs but want something heavier, they might be able to find some trading partners later.

I thought the disc was quite predictable and felt pretty nice in the hand. It's a genuinely overstable fairway driver, but not majorly OS. If the comparison helps: my 160-163 Ace Race disc had noticeably more OS than my 175 Star Tee Bird (which isn't very beat), but not majorly so. Within Discrafts's lineup, it definitely fits between the Stalker and Predator in both stability and speed. I particularly liked throwing it FH.

I use a Tee Bird as my somewhat OS fairway and a Predator for very OS. Not sure I really need something in between those, but I'll bag it for a few weeks to see how I like it. Maybe it'll stay, maybe it won't, but I'd be surprised if they don't put it into production as I think it fills a hole in their current lineup pretty nicely.

Last edited: