• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

Ours isn't until Oct. 6, but my plan is to spike hyzer everything. Has anyone much success with this strategy??

There was a guy in the group ahead of us that was lobbing hyzers at every basket. He was getting really close, so I'd say it was a good strategy. (Don't know if he ever aced though)

^^Not really. If you're playing a real round, you could birdie all day with that throw with this disc, but all of the aces at our event yesterday were directly at the chains. Most holes were 150-200. The winner had 2 aces with about 6 or 7 total.

What do you mean not really?? You telling me that is not what I did last year??:confused:

No, I was replying to the post above yours. You got in before me, so I edited in two ^'s to signify that after the page refreshed.

Re: your round last year, the disc this year is not as good at midrange hyzers (it wants to glide out), so depending how your td sets up the course, last year's throw might not work.

Ours isn't until Oct. 6, but my plan is to spike hyzer everything. Has anyone much success with this strategy??
There really is only two things you can do with it: Crank it dead nuts straight at the basket and hope you crash it, or spike hyzer everything and hope it fades in. Whichever strategy you are most comfortable with.

^^ Or you can do what I did and play the fade. Depending on your distances and open air to work with, you can throw it to the side of the target and let it fade in. I was getting some REALLY good looks that way, and hit metal once. Because I often use drivers for my approach shots from a standstill, this method seemed more natural to me. Many of my ace attempts would have been tap-in putts if I was playing a round.

So I know that this has been talked about in the over 500 posts, but instead of searching through all of it can someone give me an idea of what this disc relates to?

I wonder what it would be like in a different plastic. The Ti Stalker was so different than the Z.

Many of the holes at Moraine don't give you enough airspace to play that shot. Given the space, it could work, yes.

Some people had some success forehanding them too of course.

So I know that this has been talked about in the over 500 posts, but instead of searching through all of it can someone give me an idea of what this disc relates to?

I wonder what it would be like in a different plastic. The Ti Stalker was so different than the Z.

It's been all over the map. I think it throws like a Viking.

There's been Teebird comparisons, Volt comparisons, shorter Orc comparisons.

All I know is that this disc feels SO nice in my hand. The slight softness of the Ti plastic, the way the rim is smooth with no flash, it's just a perfect fit. I do not like Z, or Champ plastic, so I hope the production run is exactly the same as this. (The production Zombees seemed to come out a little domier than the AR ones)

Took me half the round but i thought aggressive low hyzers were the best way to go at it. I hit two aces the 1st round and a metal hit the second to take 1st. I think we had 6 total. The little bag is pretty sweet as it will be my perfect glow/winter bag.

^^^ What little bag? Did your TD buy some extra starter bags?

Edit: Oh you meant the prize tourney bag, right?

All I know is that this disc feels SO nice in my hand. The slight softness of the Ti plastic, the way the rim is smooth with no flash, it's just a perfect fit. I do not like Z, or Champ plastic, so I hope the production run is exactly the same as this. (The production Zombees seemed to come out a little domier than the AR ones)

^Agreed about the Zombees vs AR discs.

I really like this disc a lot. I wish they could make the colors pop a bit more, but I guess it is what it is.

^Agreed about the Zombees vs AR discs.

I really like this disc a lot. I wish they could make the colors pop a bit more, but I guess it is what it is.

This. I can see maybe the first few runs of Ti, then they switch to a method that yields brighter colors, but how is it that they're still cranking out 90% of them in Camo Green, Dead Leaf Orange and Mud Purple?

^^^ What little bag? Did your TD buy some extra starter bags?

Edit: Oh you meant the prize tourney bag, right?

Ya i guess i referred to it as little just cuz its smaller than my other which is the one from 2 yrs ago. Not much smaller than it. Its more like a mid-size.

I played one in Sarasota, FL yesterday. The players pack (including discs) were packed in a bag tht you couldnt really see through.

I got the ugliest, dirt brown colored disc that I've ever seen. I literally almost lost it on the very first throw. :(

I brought it home and gave it to my eight year old.

I wish I got one of the AR discs in yellow Ti plastic. My yellow Mini Magnet is beautiful. :clap:

^^ Or you can do what I did and play the fade. Depending on your distances and open air to work with, you can throw it to the side of the target and let it fade in. I was getting some REALLY good looks that way, and hit metal once.

Yup. Our holes were about 120' average (and all very similar). I just went from a stand still, aiming at the right most strand of chain (RHBH) and threw flat and solid. No point in going 100-200 feet past, but maybe 50-75 past was fine. If people are comfortable with spike hyzers, that's good, although then the distance needs to be judged. Mine just floated in, saw they were aces as soon as they left the hand. 2 aces, couple metal hits won my AR early in the AR season.

Latest posts