• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

Had our Ace Race this past Saturday and it was fun! No one in our group even hit metal but we had some good shots. This older guy in our group had the weirdest throw I've ever seen and he said he's been playing for 30 years. We asked him about his throw a few times because it was so strange, he whipped his arm around from his side/behind himself. It was interesting. But anyway...

There was only 1 ace in the whole event and just a few metal hits. The same guy that aced then proceeded to make it into the basket on the CTP contest. It was unbelievable. I was really hoping to have a shot at CTP but all our hopes were dashed away quite quickly.

I rather like the Ace Race disc so far. I think it's somewhat comparable to my Xpress. Although we got there late and got really light discs (mine are 153 and 160) so I wonder how the heavier ones fly. It's pretty nice to have something you can chuck without too much effort, though. My dog likes it!

Had our Ace Race this past Saturday and it was fun! No one in our group even hit metal but we had some good shots. This older guy in our group had the weirdest throw I've ever seen and he said he's been playing for 30 years. We asked him about his throw a few times because it was so strange, he whipped his arm around from his side/behind himself. It was interesting. But anyway...

There was only 1 ace in the whole event and just a few metal hits. The same guy that aced then proceeded to make it into the basket on the CTP contest. It was unbelievable. I was really hoping to have a shot at CTP but all our hopes were dashed away quite quickly.

I rather like the Ace Race disc so far. I think it's somewhat comparable to my Xpress. Although we got there late and got really light discs (mine are 153 and 160) so I wonder how the heavier ones fly. It's pretty nice to have something you can chuck without too much effort, though. My dog likes it!

Out of curiosity, what were the hole lengths at your ace race, and how many players were there? It's always a little disappointing when only a small number of aces are hit, especially when it's because the course is set up by someone who can't bear to make 100' shots that everyone has a chance at. The most fun ace races I've played in are the ones where the winners get 3-6 aces and just about everyone has an ace or a couple metal hits.

Two days 'til the Altoona, PA A.R.!!!! I am psyched about it.

I'm camping out with my daughter tomorrow night and have to get up early... but it's all good. A great evening with her and then a great day of dg on Saturday. Good times!

Totally in agreement that shortened courses and more Aces/metal for all is the way to go for an Ace Race.

That said, I think many of the people who don't like shortened Ace Race courses because "it's not real disc golf" would be happier playing in one of Vibram's Birdie Bashes because you can actually play a real course and still get lots of scoring for all:

Metal hit: 1 point
Birdie: 2 points
Eagle or Ace: 5 points
Par or greater : no points

Similar deal in that you get 2 discs and some stuff for $25, but you get to putt out and the discs are your choice of production discs.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what were the hole lengths at your ace race, and how many players were there? It's always a little disappointing when only a small number of aces are hit, especially when it's because the course is set up by someone who can't bear to make 100' shots that everyone has a chance at. The most fun ace races I've played in are the ones where the winners get 3-6 aces and just about everyone has an ace or a couple metal hits.
They were kind of all over the place but I bet the average hole length was probably about 150-180 range. Honestly I think many were more like 200 feet which is why we didn't have many hits. I thought the distances were pretty good for the disc but it was still tough.

They were kind of all over the place but I bet the average hole length was probably about 150-180 range. Honestly I think many were more like 200 feet which is why we didn't have many hits. I thought the distances were pretty good for the disc but it was still tough.

It's no supposed to be tough. A set up like that makes it so only already skilled players have any chance. If kids or new players were there, they probably weren't even able to reach many of the holes, and that's not going to get them excited about coming out to other events. If you give them a chance on most holes, they still might not win but they're going to have a lot more fun and that's really what the ace race is supposed to be about.

It's no supposed to be tough. A set up like that makes it so only already skilled players have any chance. If kids or new players were there, they probably weren't even able to reach many of the holes, and that's not going to get them excited about coming out to other events. If you give them a chance on most holes, they still might not win but they're going to have a lot more fun and that's really what the ace race is supposed to be about.
Yea... Well, the course it was at is not very good (in my opinion, please don't hate me, Columbus natives) and there is a MUCH better course just across the way (Simsbury). Although the shortened holes make the course design inconsequential there were still some really tough shots with some distance and/or through trees. I was sure that one of us would hit metal but we only got near misses. I hope that next year they'll have it at a nicer course and maybe give us some easier shots. I wanted that new bag of discs! The hot pink Buzzz looked so sexy.

My ace race is in 8 days.
Just added a sweet prize.

discgolfcenter.com (who is already throwing me a $35 and $15 gift certificate for prizes) Just gave me a 45% discount on a new Lattitude 64 Pro Bag to give away that day.

The AR in Norman this year was ... less great than years past. Good turnout, no ancillary stuff (CTP, Ring of Fire, Raffle, etc.) and we were allowed to pick our own groups (4 people min, 8 max though that was largely ignored). Went quick with only 19 holes per round (of which there were two). I though we had a decent mix of hole lengths, but it tended closer to a 150'+ average. Some blind, some tunnel, some open. We had one ace and one metal in my group of 5 and when we left the TD was pretty sure one ace+one metal would take the prize pack.

That being said, this event was still fun even if it was a last minute venue and date change (due to the destruction of Little River Park in the May tornado and conflict with Jeremy Martin Memorial Tournament, respectively). It was a little refreshing to be finished with some of my Saturday still left!

Yea... Well, the course it was at is not very good (in my opinion, please don't hate me, Columbus natives) and there is a MUCH better course just across the way (Simsbury). Although the shortened holes make the course design inconsequential there were still some really tough shots with some distance and/or through trees. I was sure that one of us would hit metal but we only got near misses. I hope that next year they'll have it at a nicer course and maybe give us some easier shots. I wanted that new bag of discs! The hot pink Buzzz looked so sexy.

Simsbury may be a nicer course, but for an Ace Race it's considerably more challenging. I don't know who you think "they" are but if you want it at a different course then step up and TD one at a different course.

Highland Park in Altoona, PA

Played in the A.R. in Altoona today. Got to meet jblough from DGCR, who happened to be the T.D. Also got to meet longtime Altoona disc golfer Eric Keim. Both were really good guys and I was happy to get to meet them finally.

If there were 2nd and 3rd place finishes in an Ace Race, I would have tied for 3rd with two metal hits. One guy had 3 metals and the winner had one ace. (Correct me if I'm wrong j.) We then had three rounds of "Ring of Fire." I was fortunate enough to win the 2nd round.

Here's my swag from the tourney. The A.R. stuff you've seen before. But check out the nice Buzzz that I won for the R.O.F.! Pretty sweet with the local club stamp. I'm not sure if I'm going to throw it yet or not. It's awfully pretty! And the grey looking A.R. disc is actually one of the purple ones, btw. It was the one I used in the round. Interesing disc that I'll have to check out in the field sometime.

picture.php

Simsbury may be a nicer course, but for an Ace Race it's considerably more challenging. I don't know who you think "they" are but if you want it at a different course then step up and TD one at a different course.
I think it would have been great for an ace race, there are a lot of good shots on that course and I think it would have been fun. Well now that I have gotten to thinking about it maybe next year I will go ahead and organize this myself. I'll even help make the trophy :thmbup:

Just curious if anyone knew how hard and fast the 30 mile minimum between events is? I'm not really ticked off but a little annoyed that Discraft allowed another AR within about 25 miles or so of mine - and I signed up for mine long before I found out about the other one. If we were a large metro area like Ann Arbor, Chicago burbs or something like that it would not be a big deal but this is Berrien County, Michigan. Not a real heavily populated area. We bought the minimum number of packs and *hopefully* they will all be sold otherwise you are going to see me starting up a thread in the Marketplace. If it weren't for Lake Townships AR we certainly would have sold a lot more...but oh well. Too late now. :wall:

I'll remember that for next year.

I wonder if they allowed the Lake Township AR because the fella running it is a VENDOR. :|

Not mad at the vendor...just irritated with Discraft is all.

Just curious if anyone knew how hard and fast the 30 mile minimum between events is? I'm not really ticked off but a little annoyed that Discraft allowed another AR within about 25 miles or so of mine - and I signed up for mine long before I found out about the other one. If we were a large metro area like Ann Arbor, Chicago burbs or something like that it would not be a big deal but this is Berrien County, Michigan. Not a real heavily populated area. We bought the minimum number of packs and *hopefully* they will all be sold otherwise you are going to see me starting up a thread in the Marketplace. If it weren't for Lake Townships AR we certainly would have sold a lot more...but oh well. Too late now. :wall:

I'll remember that for next year.

We had one that was about 20 - 25 miles from our AR in Horicon, WI. Discraft had the TD from the other AR contact us via email to get our permission to let them hold their event, since we had registered first.

We gave them permission, and it was fine for everyone.

Last edited:
We had one that was about 20 - 25 miles from our AR in Horicon, WI. Discraft had the TD from the other AR contact us via email to get our permission to let them hold their event, since we had registered first.

We gave them permission, and it was fine for everyone.

I was never asked unfortunately. :\

From Discraft's Ace Race "TD Info" page.

Q: There is already an Ace Race scheduled in my area. Can I still run one?

A: Possibly. We typically prefer a 30-mile buffer between potentially competing events, but some exceptions are made in more heavily populated areas. Previously scheduled events receive priority. Even with Discraft approval, you will most likely have to also obtain approval from the first event's TD. If that fails, Discraft reserves the right to defer to the initially scheduled event, and may request location changes to the second event, or to deny that event from participating.

There should have been better communication. Sorry that happened to you Dave.

Latest posts