• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Vibram Open

DiscGolfGuy's commentary was so much better than any of the previous events.

My only complaint (and, frankly, its minor) would be the communication between you and the producer/director. Seemed like it took a few seconds for the commercials to fire up after you threw to them and several times they would switch back to the main camera and your commentary wouldn't start for another ~15 seconds.

I know IFB systems are super expensive and I'm not sure what you guys were using. Maybe something that could be worked on for the next broadcast to really tighten the production up.

Other than that... easily the best live DG coverage I've seen so far. Its unfortunate that bandwidth will always seem to be the bottleneck at these locations so we can't really get the crisp 720p60 feeds like other live events. Hopefully with more money/viewership that can become a reality.

I find it interesting that the top 3 finishers in the Vibram (Paul, Will & Cam) all played the GHdgO (Hartford Open) the week before at Wickham. Wick is a very challenging course with lots of elevation, length and some wooded holes as well and I think it helped out of area touring pros to have just played a course like Wick as they headed to play the Golds at Vibram. Based on scoring Wick's Burnside layout had comparable scoring to that of Vibram Gold.

My only complaint (and, frankly, its minor) would be the communication between you and the producer/director. Seemed like it took a few seconds for the commercials to fire up after you threw to them and several times they would switch back to the main camera and your commentary wouldn't start for another ~15 seconds.

I know IFB systems are super expensive and I'm not sure what you guys were using. Maybe something that could be worked on for the next broadcast to really tighten the production up.

I honestly do not care a lick about commentary or production. I was much more entertained by Crazy and Dave and really enjoyed Terry's more vanilla coverage too. I don't care about the production of commercials or having to watch the cameraman walk between holes with the camera pointed at the ground or sky, or hearing all the chatter between Terry and the cameraman, producers, upcoming interviewees, etc. I can fill my time myself looking at online scoring etc.

What I do want to see and all I really care about is seeing the disc being thrown and then seeing the disc flying and landing. This cameraman did pretty good, but a tripod or steadycam would have been an improvement.

My single biggest complaint is that on so many tee shots, the player throws and you are left looking at a big Innova or Prodigy logo on the back of the player's shirt.

To me, the logical next step towards better coverage is some sort of platform or ladder behind the tee pad that will allow us to see the fairway as the player sees it. 2-3' of extra height is all that is needed.

The other thing that is needed is better overviews of the holes so we can know what we are looking at. Some fly-by intro that goes over the dimensions of the hole (length, width, elevation change, etc) would be so cool to have more detail on since it is so hard to understand that from video images alone.

But heck......I am thrilled to be able to watch things how it is done today. And I appreciate all of the efforts and sacrifices being made to provide this coverage to a tiny audience.

The other thing that is needed is better overviews of the holes so we can know what we are looking at. Some fly-by intro that goes over the dimensions of the hole (length, width, elevation change, etc) would be so cool to have more detail on since it is so hard to understand that from video images alone.

kind of like how CLASH did it for the AM Worlds NY? cant find the video on this dumb blip thing all their stuff is on now.

To me, the logical next step towards better coverage is some sort of platform or ladder behind the tee pad that will allow us to see the fairway as the player sees it. 2-3' of extra height is all that is needed.

great idea! have someone carry a little step-stool along for the cameraman to use on the teeshots

I honestly do not care a lick about commentary or production. I was much more entertained by Crazy and Dave and really enjoyed Terry's more vanilla coverage too. I don't care about the production of commercials or having to watch the cameraman walk between holes with the camera pointed at the ground or sky, or hearing all the chatter between Terry and the cameraman, producers, upcoming interviewees, etc. I can fill my time myself looking at online scoring etc.
well... i work in live production. so its the first thing i notice. just offering some constructive criticism. making a production tighter is never a bad thing. especially if you want this sport to be taken seriously by casual viewers and sponsors with money.

the low bitrates available to these streams really hurt seeing the disc fly. idealy the camera person would be skilled enough to do a nice slow zoom and adjust exposure so we could track the disc flying after the throw. all that movement and frame changing means more bits are needed to gain a clear picture. i'm guessing the vibram open was broadcast at 1.5-2 Mbps max. That is simply too low to offer a clear 720p picture.

Our sport seriously has some of the thinnest skin ever.

But Terry did a great job. I loved it when Terry talked about the discs being used. Especially Prodigy players not throwing Prodigy.

well... i work in live production. so its the first thing i notice. just offering some constructive criticism. making a production tighter is never a bad thing. especially if you want this sport to be taken seriously by casual viewers and sponsors with money.

the low bitrates available to these streams really hurt seeing the disc fly. idealy the camera person would be skilled enough to do a nice slow zoom and adjust exposure so we could track the disc flying after the throw. all that movement and frame changing means more bits are needed to gain a clear picture. i'm guessing the vibram open was broadcast at 1.5-2 Mbps max. That is simply too low to offer a clear 720p picture.

I don't disagree with you.....but your 2nd paragraph improvements need to happen before the 1st one becomes a priority. If the product is not watchable to the masses.....the nice shiny wrapping paper (production details) make no difference.

Our sport seriously has some of the thinnest skin ever.

But Terry did a great job. I loved it when Terry talked about the discs being used. Especially Prodigy players not throwing Prodigy.

Agreed. I really enjoyed it when he would reference the discs they were throwing, that's definitely the most important piece of information that the commentator(s) could deliver in my opinion.

What I do want to see and all I really care about is seeing the disc being thrown and then seeing the disc flying and landing.

My single biggest complaint is that on so many tee shots, the player throws and you are left looking at a big Innova or Prodigy logo on the back of the player's shirt.
^This! this goes back to an earlier thread we had about filming Disc Golf.

I aggree the single most important thing IMO when filming disc golf is keeping the discs flight in frame. as soon as it is gone my interest goes with it.

kind of like how CLASH did it for the AM Worlds NY? cant find the video on this dumb blip thing all their stuff is on now.

i am not sure where all the clash vid's went after Clash went on hiatus. But i wil say that i think no one films golf better than Mike Bozik the guy "behind" the clash Vids. he has always done the best job i have seen of getting the right angle to film the shot and keeping the disc in frame for as long as possible. He does stand on benches whenver he can directly behind the tee pad.

Boz does have his own You tube channel now if anyone wants to check out his work.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mikebozik

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
And I think I've responded. The "PM" thing isn't exactly a grumpy old guy's forte . . .. just saying.

I've been researching and I'm relatively sure I've sent Terry a PM responding to his post that referenced me and I'm relatively sure he has never sent me a PM.

Just saying . .. I like to say.

:) deh deh deh deh DEH deh deh

^This! this goes back to an earlier thread we had about filming Disc Golf.

I aggree the single most important thing IMO when filming disc golf is keeping the discs flight in frame. as soon as it is gone my interest goes with it.

i am not sure where all the clash vid's went after Clash went on hiatus. But i wil say that i think no one films golf better than Mike Bozik the guy "behind" the clash Vids. he has always done the best job i have seen of getting the right angle to film the shot and keeping the disc in frame for as long as possible. He does stand on benches whenver he can directly behind the tee pad.

Boz does have his own You tube channel now if anyone wants to check out his work.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mikebozik

Was wonderin what happened to Crump and the Clash series. Hiatus? Paging those in the know........

I wonder if Clash shot the 2012 USDGC. It was a hell of a final round and I'd love to see them release it if they have it. Additionally, I'd just like to see them back in business.

internal conflict over money from what i understand.
It was a tough business model to maintain. the 2 guys (Boz and Billy) lived 4 hours a part and DVD's are a dieing medium. i am not sure how the Clash model would have evolved into the streaming video age we are in now. It was a bummer for me because like i said Boz is too talented to not be involved in the sport on a national level.

Latest posts