• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

I'm confused by this. Why don't you have the ability to rent a car?

Every car rental place I've called to reserve a vehicle will not take my pre-paid credit card even though it's endorsed by a bank. That apparently does not count towards a credit card. Absolutely frustrating.

Every car rental place I've called to reserve a vehicle will not take my pre-paid credit card even though it's endorsed by a bank. That apparently does not count towards a credit card. Absolutely frustrating.

Thats why its better to drive. From Cali its should cost me $270 in gas one way in my car.

Not to assume anything about your employment or personal financial status but...

It is out of question to get a credit card? Something with a couple hundred bucks of credit from your local bank is perfect for situations like this (and building up some good credit in the process).

There will be tons of players in the same boat, it should be real easy to find people to hitch a ride with between courses.

You are welcome to ride with me. No problem. Although you will be a bit early. My guess is about 30 years too early.
Ron "old fart division" Pittman

So I was under the impression AM Worlds never sells out until it opens to non-invitees. I just bought a house and have been busy moving so I figured I had plenty of time to sign up. Well by the time I got around to reading through the invite package and my officials exam getting into the system im on a waitlist . . . :( Do tons of people usually sign up to reserve a spot just in case then drop before the refund deadline or am I screwed?

Last edited:
Being the scene around here and WI I imagine it is very possible you could be screwed but that's all speculation.

Looks like currently 586 total players registered across all divisions and almost 300 in advanced out of 644 max? 103 players are on the waitlist.

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tourna...ur_Disc_Golf_World_Championships/registration

Any idea how the waitlist works? There are only 20 names in ADV with waitlist by the name but im #36. Does it include players in other divisions?

wow.. i just crapped myself. I have been so busy with work, and my sons baseball team i was under the same impression. I've already booked the trip last week and just got on the sight after reading your post.
I got my son signed up but I'm on a wait list...damn last year I got in as a non-invitee at Kansas. Damn I'm stupid for assuming that this would not fill so fast!! Ahh well hope for the best and I guess worst case scenario I'm an expensive caddy...lol

Any idea how the waitlist works? There are only 20 names in ADV with waitlist by the name but im #36. Does it include players in other divisions?

I have no idea.

Advanced
306 players / 280 spots

Advanced Senior Grandmaster
52 players / 32 spots

Advanced Master
107 players / 72 spots

Advanced Master Women
15 players / 14 spots

Advanced Grandmaster
96 players / 72 spots

wow.. i just crapped myself. I have been so busy with work, and my sons baseball team i was under the same impression. I've already booked the trip last week and just got on the sight after reading your post.
I got my son signed up but I'm on a wait list...damn last year I got in as a non-invitee at Kansas. Damn I'm stupid for assuming that this would not fill so fast!! Ahh well hope for the best and I guess worst case scenario I'm an expensive caddy...lol

Yep, I realized it two days ago and didnt want to post this until I got in. I think the waitlist might explode a little bit today if this stays up on the dgcr homepage.

Not sure how they break it down. I'd gladly play advanced if I have to but am incredibly bummed about not playing with my friends.

I am #37 on the list. lol whatever got lots of family and friends in MN and WI. A vacation is a vacation at my age!

I'm going to get flamed for this but in the advanced divisions I really feel like your rating should be 935 or higher in an event like this. I can understand letting everyone else in after the cut off but it would add prestige to the event. With disc golf growing in popularity this will continue to be and issue. I would even be ok with opening up an intermediate or recreational division for worlds. I counted 135 people signed up in the MA1 division that were under that rating. I don't think rating is everything but in this case it gives people something to strive for. Thoughts on if this is even on the table for the PDGA?

I'm going to get flamed for this but in the advanced divisions I really feel like your rating should be 935 or higher in an event like this. I can understand letting everyone else in after the cut off but it would add prestige to the event. With disc golf growing in popularity this will continue to be and issue. I would even be ok with opening up an intermediate or recreational division for worlds. I counted 135 people signed up in the MA1 division that were under that rating. I don't think rating is everything but in this case it gives people something to strive for. Thoughts on if this is even on the table for the PDGA?

Chuck already alluded to this being a possibility for future Worlds, so no flaming is necessary.

I do not like this idea, at least not that 935 limit. There are top and low end exceptions, but what I see out of most advanced players are more rounds in the 940-970 but with enough 890-910 to bring that rating down. This is doubly more important if it is a difficult course where a few bad putts and maybe a little bad luck can suddenly turn an others good weekend in a poorly rated one.

Case in point; this past weekend I threw out a 956 round which was near my normal ability. I would say that would mean I was competitive, not near the top (off the lead by 7 throws), but still very competitive. The second round I was clipped by 2 OBs, 2 bad putts, and one hole that completely destroyed me. It was a bad round as I pulled in a sub 900 round, but in the grand scheme of things I played really well for 24 of those 27 holes. If I could have cleaned up just a few mistakes, saving just a few throws, I easily could have gotten that rating back up into the 940s.

Point being is that it does not take much to drag someone down into the 930s and 920s. If you still want a rating that people can strive for, to make it look like they are being rewarded with an invite, I am thinking that maybe a 925 would be a better number. That will accommodate a player who is normally deserving a berth but might have had a bad round due to a small handful of holes blowing up in their face.

Obviously everyone is going to have a bad hole here and there, and the higher ranked players are able to spread them further between tournaments rounds, keeping that rating up, but remember we are talking about advanced players here, not open. I see a huge difference in abilities between a 930 and a 910 rated player, but not between 930 and 940; that is why I think a 925 would be a better compromise...

DISCLAIMER: ...says the 933 rated player who does not want to be on the outside looking in at future Am Worlds.

I do not like this idea, at least not that 935 limit. There are top and low end exceptions, but what I see out of most advanced players are more rounds in the 940-970 but with enough 890-910 to bring that rating down. This is doubly more important if it is a difficult course where a few bad putts and maybe a little bad luck can suddenly turn an others good weekend in a poorly rated one.

Case in point; this past weekend I threw out a 956 round which was near my normal ability. I would say that would mean I was competitive, not near the top (off the lead by 7 throws), but still very competitive. The second round I was clipped by 2 OBs, 2 bad putts, and one hole that completely destroyed me. It was a bad round as I pulled in a sub 900 round, but in the grand scheme of things I played really well for 24 of those 27 holes. If I could have cleaned up just a few mistakes, saving just a few throws, I easily could have gotten that rating back up into the 940s.

Point being is that it does not take much to drag someone down into the 930s and 920s. If you still want a rating that people can strive for, to make it look like they are being rewarded with an invite, I am thinking that maybe a 925 would be a better number. That will accommodate a player who is normally deserving a berth but might have had a bad round due to a small handful of holes blowing up in their face.

Obviously everyone is going to have a bad hole here and there, and the higher ranked players are able to spread them further between tournaments rounds, keeping that rating up, but remember we are talking about advanced players here, not open. I see a huge difference in abilities between a 930 and a 910 rated player, but not between 930 and 940; that is why I think a 925 would be a better compromise...

DISCLAIMER: ...says the 933 rated player who does not want to be on the outside looking in at future Am Worlds.

No offense but that's, IMO, what separates intermediate players from advanced players. Tons of INT players have loads of skills but zero consistency and make bad decisions. My two highest rated rounds to date I had when I was playing INT. I shot a 1015 and followed it 1 hour later with a 898, I haven't shot that well since but I also haven't shot that poorly since.

As for the cutoff for Worlds, it is supposed to be the pinnacle of amateur competition in our sport. If someone with very little chance of winning is taking a spot from someone with the ability to go and compete for the title there is a problem. I'm not saying where the cutoff should be but looking back at the last 2 years no one rated under 940 has come in the top 25. I also agree with what was previously stated, the cutoff doesn't have to be no players under 935 period, just give the better players priority to sign up first. My current rating is 937 and realistically I have a very slim chance of being at the top at the end of the weekend so I would understand if the event filled with better players. If every golfer in the world could play Augusta National for the Masters it wouldn't have the same prestige.

I am in favor of setting a lower limit even though it might bite me. Currently I am rated 923 and my first round at the Minnesota State Championships was rated at 924, pretty bad and that was from the shorts. The second round from longs I threw a 978 round. That is the point I think, that people who have lower ratings are less consistent, among other things. If 935 was what it took to get in and I was sitting at 925 I would make damn sure that I practiced putting and upshots a ton and got it up, or else it would be my fault for not being able to participate.

I'm currently sitting at 934 because of that rule that states ratings can go back further to gain more rated rounds. I was up to 948 last year then they added some ratings from a couple tournaments in 2012 that pretty much tanked me and I had a pro tournament where I absolutely was not prepared to play pro that really hurt. 935 would hurt.

Why did they change the qualify system? If I remember right you needed at least 1000 pts to qualify up until a few years ago. Then they changed it to 500? You can get 500 pts pretty easly, by finishing in the middle of the pack at an A tier or placing at a B tier or two.