• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Glass Blown Open

When you're getting a player's pack of that magnitude just for entering, you could conclude that 100% of the Ams are getting paid out.

You have to look at the logistics of running an event like this. There are more than 475 people registered. This isn't your standard tournament in terms of number of people attending. Under a standard payout system, you would be looking at somewhere around 150+ Ams going to the merch booth afterwards. Dealing with Am payout at a single course 90-100 player event can make a TD pull his hair out. Now try to imagine 5x-6x that headache.

Yeah, DD has probably has one of the best merch booths you could possibly have with their downtown store (which I was at earlier today BTW), but you'd have to print a snotload of vouchers for these people, have people checking ID's, then have dozens of people walking around the store sifting through discs, bags and apparel. Even with DD's crew, the folks who would be doing this stuff have other things that they need to be doing.

It can also be inconvenient from the players end. A great deal of the folks coming here are going to be from out of state. There's probably going to be a lot of ride sharing going on, and when you're playing on tee times, not everyone is going to be finishing at the same time. So the last person to finish is going to be determining when everyone starts making the trek home Sunday night. Having to go to the merch stand is just going to make a long day even longer for all parties involved. When you know that everyone in your group is out of the money because so few are in it, you can start the trip home early.

The fact is that DD is trying to provide a destination experience here. If people simply want to collect Am merch, there are no shortage of smaller events they can do that at.

^^^:thmbup::clap:

The players pack will more than make up for any perceived lack of payout.

Last year players received 2-3 discs, a dri-fit shirt, and a really nice windbreaker.

I know.. I was there. It was a great package. Since then, I've gotten more involved on the TD side of things and have had to follow the PDGA guidelines when doing payouts. Just find it odd that they don't seem to have the same restrictions.

Yeah, DD has probably has one of the best merch booths you could possibly have with their downtown store (which I was at earlier today BTW),

Payouts have always been handled at the store and it works pretty well even for the large crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I go for the experience and it's my favorite place to play lately. I also know the PDGA will waive just about anything in the book if you simply ask and justify it and pay them. So I'm sure the PDGA is okay with the smaller payout depth based on the player package. I just would've listed the waiver somewhere.

If you want an island hole and not to use traditional OB rules, then you need a waiver. I list this in my caddy book last year just to be 100% above board with the players. I guess I'm just saying information is key in areas like this so there aren't any questions.

The Memorial player pack was not as nice this year and it was trophy only. We all knew going out that we didn't care because the player pack the year before was amazing... and they paid out Ams. So it was sort of disappointing to see a smaller package this past February.

2013 Am Worlds was off the hook stupid amazing and something St. Paul will not be able to duplicate... but we're all going for the experience anyhow.

At peter pan you'd need to shoot around a 59-61 for about a 900 rated round. It's par 55 normally but who knows what it will be after changes are made.
I was out there yesterday and saw a few flagged spots on the ground. New pin positions coming? Cuz that would be sweet.

I was out there yesterday and saw a few flagged spots on the ground. New pin positions coming? Cuz that would be sweet.

Yep bunch of new alternate pins for many holes. If you look in the corner of the park near the school in between hole 10 and 11 you can see the two flags for the new teepad for eleven. I love how eleven plays now but that new pad will add distance and still maintain a level of difficulty I think. If you play hole 6 you'll see the new alternate for hole 16. There are also a few new ones marked out at Jones east and west. Jones west hole 9 is getting a new pad further back since a lot of those trees died and were removed.

Now that April 12th has come and gone, the GBO is now my next tournament.

So now I am craving any & all GBO info.

I can't wait to play in it, take in the players party, shop the DD store (multiple times), and feel the energy all weekend.

See you all very soon!

So is it possible to have 187 players on one course in a day doing tee times. I do wanna make it home on a decent time on Sunday. Is there no cut off for intermediates or what?

So is it possible to have 187 players on one course in a day doing tee times. I do wanna make it home on a decent time on Sunday. Is there no cut off for intermediates or what?
188 players would be 47 groups of foursomes. You will be playing the easiest and shortest of the three courses on Sunday. Starting at 8:00 AM and figuring 8 minutes per group, the last group would be starting by 2:15 PM, and would almost certainly be done by 5:00 PM.

Check details; there are at least 3 courses being used each day.

Check details; there are at least 3 courses being used each day.

Yeah but they won't separate the Intermediate division across those 3 courses. There's several hundred players in the other divisions that will be playing at the same time.

It would not surprise me if some of the in state early card folks get home before the late cards are finished.

Anybody hearing info on the player packs?

Surely somebody's heard some leaked info...

Heck, just make something up. That'd be fun to hear too.
:popcorn:

They are introducing their version of starlite. Fusion air truths for all the world to see!

Lol, you did say make something up.

Anybody hearing info on the player packs?

Surely somebody's heard some leaked info...

Heck, just make something up. That'd be fun to hear too.
:popcorn:

They don't want a lot out there ahead of time and I've respected that by not saying much and not continuing to ask. I have said and I know it's been said by others elsewhere that the lucid enforcer is going to be included and I believe that will be the disc that everyone gets to hotstamp themselves at the distribution center. Beyond that it's a mystery for me. I have a few guesses but I try not to think about it because I want a little bit of a surprise too. The fact that you are asked for shirt size makes me assume a shirt will be one item. Possibly a gbo drifit like last year or a drifit polo shirt.

Alternate pin locations were poured at Peter Pan and they used a forklift to move the teepad on the signature peninsula hole #11. I'd say it plays close to the same but slightly harder because there really isn't a chance to park it for an easy 2 unless you have a wicked accurate flick, turnover shot, or are a lefty. Even then you take a big risk because you have to play even more over the water. If you just flick or put a straight to turnover shot down by the water edge as a right hander you can lay up under the basket and take a 3. Anything that goes right off the tee is going to be hard to recover and anything long is water so it's playing pretty tough unless you just go for a par and move on. It's gone from about 250-260ft distance wise to maybe 325-350ft. Hard to say until they change the teesign it's been moved but is still the old picture and distance.

Last edited:
What does the following mean?

"... the disc that everyone gets to hotstamp themselves at the distribution center."

This year instead of just getting a tournament stamped disc from DD like you got last year with the lucid renegade they are opening up the new distribution center to all the people playing so you can personally hotstamp your player pack tournament disc. Not sure if you'll be able to choose your foil color or not. Might just have to go with what's available at the time. If you look at the events list that has all the schedule you can see what times and days the distribution center is open to do that. Pretty sweet idea I think.

Latest posts