• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Japan Open

jay reading shot a 57 in the first round if i remember correctly. ricky clearly had the better drives whether forehand or backhand, the difference between their two scores was that jay made some absolutely ridiculous putts in spots where ricky chose either to lay up or was OB sand off the tee. jay took a birdie on blue hole 4 after driving past the pin by 40ft and nailing the come back putt that was staring right into the OB sandtrap which was only 5 or 6 ft on the other side of the basket. if jay would have missed that putt left right or center he was pretty much guaranteed OB. ricky's drive was in the OB sand trap but close enough for him to take a circle 3 and move on.

He threw backhand on Hole 6 every round after the first round. And he also threw a putter on Hole 8 after that as well - backhanded. He threw that Prodigy putter on most of the holes. The holes you would think he would use that forearm throw off the tee, he didn't. Which surprised me. I can't say why he played it that way, but he did. I did the live updates of his rounds and he played the rounds pretty consistently every time.

i'm curious why as well. i don't know how he played the rest of the rounds, only the first. he threw his putter off the tee on several holes in the first round as well, including 18 off the top of my head.

I played R2 w/ Rick. He could not keep his forehand in bounds. He had a crazy overstable Glow Firebird (champ). The skips he was getting were crazy.

He was smashing his putters though. Crazy control and distance with the lightweight putters.

His putting was phenomenal during the round. Like crazy good. It was fun to watch.

I played R2 w/ Rick. He could not keep his forehand in bounds. He had a crazy overstable Glow Firebird (champ). The skips he was getting were crazy.

He was smashing his putters though. Crazy control and distance with the lightweight putters.

His putting was phenomenal during the round. Like crazy good. It was fun to watch.

those manicured fairways made for some insane skips for sure. hey Dana it was nice to meet you out there and i really appreciate your help with a putter and midrange. if you send me a pm with contact details i'd like to send you one of our yikun yao overstable midrange discs stamped with our first sanctioned event stamp from here in thailand.

hyzer flip dream course indeed... if you know how to control your 150 plastic enough to keep it from turning over and becoming a hyzer flip nightmare course. And remember... if you get a slight angle on the disc... it's going to skip for a long time and all that good work will be lost.

Looks so easy without any trees, hyzerflip dream course.

Just for the record, that course wasn't easy. It's just a different type of golf than most people are used to seeing.

Don't forget that most disc golf courses have fairways that bend to accommodate the way discs fly. These holes are straighter with danger on the sides, and are not level (all downhill or uphill shots). Watch how their discs finish, and then ask "how would I get that shot to stay middle fairway" and roll the tape back...not so easy.

Remember that even though the lead card was in the -30's, they played 99 holes as opposed to the 72 that is typical of NT's/Majors.

Also...thanks for posting the vid Magicweed...I was in a jet lag slumber.

Great video and commentary! Thanks, JT!

Just for the record, that course wasn't easy. It's just a different type of golf than most people are used to seeing.

Don't forget that most disc golf courses have fairways that bend to accommodate the way discs fly. These holes are straighter with danger on the sides, and are not level (all downhill or uphill shots). Watch how their discs finish, and then ask "how would I get that shot to stay middle fairway" and roll the tape back...not so easy.

Remember that even though the lead card was in the -30's, they played 99 holes as opposed to the 72 that is typical of NT's/Majors.

Also...thanks for posting the vid Magicweed...I was in a jet lag slumber.

I understand, but I already played on a ball golf course that has these slopes with plenty OB. Also had the danger of huge skips from manicured greens with freezing night weather. I agree most people are not used to this type of golf, just experienced this kind of golf... That's all I'm saying :)

I've enjoyed playing a ball golf course that doubles as a disc course(Greenfield Lakes), and really liked watching the creme play on in Japan. But of all the things I love about disc golf, being in nature and playing against nature is number one, and one of the things that will always separate us(disc golfers) from ball golfers. We can play any... ANYwhere. We could play in space a whole lot better than ol' whats' his name(?) did. Seriously what is his name? Well I lost my train of thought. I here just killing time until another Japan Open video gets posted anyhow. Would the moons' gravity be able to keep a disc thrown by Simon from exiting it's atmosphere?

I've enjoyed playing a ball golf course that doubles as a disc course(Greenfield Lakes), and really liked watching the creme play on in Japan. But of all the things I love about disc golf, being in nature and playing against nature is number one, and one of the things that will always separate us(disc golfers) from ball golfers. We can play any... ANYwhere. We could play in space a whole lot better than ol' whats' his name(?) did. Seriously what is his name? Well I lost my train of thought. I here just killing time until another Japan Open video gets posted anyhow. Would the moons' gravity be able to keep a disc thrown by Simon from exiting it's atmosphere?

No, because the moon doesn't have an atmosphere. A disc thrown on the surface of the moon would fly just like any other thrown object. Ball golf would be better than disc golf on the moon.

Latest posts