• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Amateur Championships at Bowling Green

No one is restricted to 3, 4 or 5 rounds. With all of those courses prepared for play, I don't understand why players don't make the effort to play more than the scheduled courses if they're making the effort to travel that far. This goes for BG or any other big event like Worlds where there are more course used than any division can play in competition. The cost of travel to and from the location is usually greater than the entry fee cost so why not take advantage?

It seems as though the main reason to have these two groups of people is that they have the smallest number of entrants allowing both to be on the same course at the same time.

So your argument is bc these are the smallest groups they should only get to play one rd less? Is that fair when all that needed to be done was a slight tweak of the courses played by division would allow everyone (who of course pays the same entry fee) to play 4 rds. Adding 3 new courses to get only 1 more pool of players makes no sense to me.

No one is restricted to 3, 4 or 5 rounds. With all of those courses prepared for play, I don't understand why players don't make the effort to play more than the scheduled courses if they're making the effort to travel that far. This goes for BG or any other big event like Worlds where there are more course used than any division can play in competition. The cost of travel to and from the location is usually greater than the entry fee cost so why not take advantage?

That is a crazy statement....the women and old guys are restricted to 3 tourney rds while everyone else gets to play 4.

That is a crazy statement....the women and old guys are restricted to 3 tourney rds while everyone else gets to play 4.

It does seem silly to think that casual rounds and competitive rounds are considered equal when talking about a tournament. You pay your money to compete, not compete and sightsee.

How is this going to help bring more women into the sport? Come compete. You can still knit while the important divisions are playing their fourth round...

Last edited:
No it's not. You have a proposition before you like any other tournament. You pay so much, get a player's pack and play so many rounds. You decide if it's worth it or not. What the other divisions pay, get and play is irrelevant. From a practical standpoint, the smaller the division, the fewer rounds needed to spread out the scores to determine a winner. Smaller divisions should be playing fewer competition rounds at Worlds if it's truly about the competition.

Last edited:
No it's not. You have a proposition before you like any other tournament. You pay so much, get a player's pack and play so many rounds. You decide if it's worth it or not. What the other divisions pay, get and play is irrelevant.

Are you really arguing that is fair to charge everyone the same fee and then if you are old or a woman keep them from playing as many rds as everyone else then on top of it make them play completely different courses than everyone else?

Sorry Chuck, but I disagree. Those divisions are small, but they're not less important. Giving them three-quarters of the holes to compete isn't going to help promote growth in those divisions, and these are divisions that will more than likely see a lot more demand in the coming years.

I know if I were on the cusp of one of these divisions, and I heard this, I wouldn't sign up, especially considering I'd have to pay the same price as those playing 100% of the rounds. This isn't a pro/am, A-Tier/B-Tier event.

Tournaments are not about "fair" on an absolute basis but simply the proposition as it pertains to you. If it's not good enough, you choose not to play. If another division you could enter has a more desirable proposition in your eyes, then enter that one. The TD does not have an obligation to do anything other than make the offer and follow through with what they promise by division.

Tournaments are not about "fair" on an absolute basis but simply the proposition as it pertains to you. If it's not good enough, you choose not to play. If another division you could enter has a more desirable proposition in your eyes, then enter that one. The TD does not have an obligation to do anything other than make the offer and follow through with what they promise by division.

And that is why we have so few women disc golfers....I really expect better from you Chuck. So you suggest all the women sign up for men's rec so they can play 4 rds? Many women my wife included look forward to this tourney every year bc they actually get a good turn out of women and they don't have to play against one other girl like a local tourney. And all of this could be avoided very easily.

It is hilarious that anyone thinks this doesn't do more harm than good for a division that needs fostering more than any other. It's also hilarious that the other division that gets no love is probably comprised of people that have played this game for decades.

Look, if the event was strictly for women and old guys with the cost and format of those 3 rounds, would she go? That's all that matters. That's what the TD is willing to offer and it appears it also has to do with how many he has on his team, likely most if not all volunteers, to TD the courses.

Look, if the event was strictly for women and old guys with the cost and format of those 3 rounds, would she go? That's all that matters. That's what the TD is willing to offer and it appears it also has to do with how many he has on his team, likely most if not all volunteers, to TD the courses.

Not true at all......they are adding another pool so they can get more people and the only one who is being punished are the women and the old guys and all bc they are using a course that is much further away....and don't tell me they have to do it that way bc they have 2 other courses that are apparently good enough to use for 1 rd but not for anyone else to play on.

Without adding any more fuel to the fire, but as a point of clarification, the vendors at the different courses over the last few years have acted as the TDs for that course and round. Kereiakes, for example, had Sun King running the Scorepointe and collecting cards for the last three years.

What you don't seem to understand is the TD is giving you this offer and you have a choice to accept it or reject it. It shouldn't be a controversy or emotional. Simply make the call. The TD does not have responsibility to treat every PDGA member/player equally among divisions. It can be hard to do. How come no pro divisions? How come every division doesn't get a final 9 holes or for that matter every player? How come this division is capped at X? How come this competing event got sanctioned this close?

Last edited:
What you don't seem to understand is the TD is giving you this offer and you have a choice to accept it or reject it. It shouldn't be a controversy or emotional. Simply make the call. The TD does not have responsibility to treat every PDGA member/player equally. It can be hard to do. How come no pro divisions? How come every division doesn't get a final 9 holes or for that matter every player? How come this division is capped at X?

Of course I understand that.....she can decide not to play or play a different division.....just bc HB can turn his back on all the women who come down every year to play doesn't mean he should and I noticed you stopped arguing he has to...he could very easily change it to make it fair if he chooses to. I'm trying to point out that in disc golf if you are going to screw someone over unfortunately you screw over the most disenfranchised group of disc golfers....it stinks but there is still enough time to see the light and make the change.

I'm not playing in this tourney; and perhaps if I were; I would feel differently. And I'm not trying sway anyone's opinion; just adding my .02 cents: Some players in age related divisions have been bumming for 20 years about being asked to play short tees vs. long; so, some age related players have been feeling like they "get the shaft"; just a bit, for a long time.
Also, Holler is head and shoulders above any of the other courses for this event; IMHO. If I were planning on playing said event, the addition of Holler would probably be what would inspire me to play. I would stay there and play a second round at Holler, and be excited to do so.

What you don't seem to understand is the TD is giving you this offer and you have a choice to accept it or reject it. It shouldn't be a controversy or emotional. Simply make the call. The TD does not have responsibility to treat every PDGA member/player equally among divisions. It can be hard to do. How come no pro divisions? How come every division doesn't get a final 9 holes or for that matter every player? How come this division is capped at X? How come this competing event got sanctioned this close?

And don't tell me this approach doesn't work....this message board was instrumental in getting the TD for Charlotte worlds to change the way courses were allocated based on the wishes of the Ams and pros.

No one, HB or any other TD for that matter, is ever "screwing" anyone if they follow through with what they said they would do for each division for that entry fee. As long as you know ahead of time, it's your call. Screwing would be if you thought it was going to be 4 rounds and he changed it to 3 rounds at player check-in. Now there's a legitimate complaint.

Note, I'm not saying HB has made a good choice because women and old guys are known as the complainers, me being one. But he has done the right thing in terms of laying it out way in advance so players could make their choices. Time will tell whether it was a good decision, but it was his to make.

If you look at my playing record, I've entered as many as five different divisions in a year based on whether any options were available. I made my choices, usually based on the courses I would play and also nearby for casual rounds as a priority for events where I was traveling. My very small MPS division is rarely available except US Masters and Worlds so I'm always making value judgments either on alternate divisions or sometimes not playing at all. I would love to have an event nearby with any number of rounds where I could count on at least a foursome for my MPS division.

I will agree he is transparent about the format.....now will you agree that he arbitrarily and certainly unnecessarily has lessened the tournament for these 2 groups?