• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 PDGA Amateur World Championships

fair enough. I guess I was thinking if I can throw 400' and you can throw 450', chances are great you would throw farther than me down a hill.

fair enough. I guess I was thinking if I can throw 400' and you can throw 450', chances are great you would throw farther than me down a hill.

Throwing down a big hill is weird. Much less about raw D technique and very often slower understable discs will go just as far. Add in a tailwind and those large diameter mids are going to fly like a kite.

Depends on how wide the landing area is, last year it was roughly the width of a football field. 150' is a pretty wide target on flat land and throwing 500'ish but hitting 150' wide area requires way more skill/luck than power when you are talking about that much downhill and distance. It also depends on how much, if any, practice you are allowed. Being from FL i'd be screwed, I have no idea what any of my discs would do thrown at full power on a downhill like that.

I've thrown down the hills at the course in question. Did my throws go way farther than normal? Of course. However, the guys who can throw way farther than me also threw way farther than me there.

I don't think we got to play Oshtemo in 2008. 08 was combined worlds so I am pretty sure Open got that course. if I remember correctly it was a technical wooded course with some length?

true. but, it is a fair course. its not tough just to be tough.

Not really fair..and I personally heard the owner say he made it tough specifically just to be tough...he was out mowing with his deck as low as possible "I want the grass so short that discs skip OB"

Young Buck Anthony Barela just bested the field by 3 throws to move into 3rd place. Should be an interesting battle between him and the consummate Charlotte Am bagger Mr. Mark Huether.

How many courses has AB designed and built and maintains...lol Great kid, I find myself wanting him to win; great addition to the sport.

@37 im the oldest by 7 on like every card, lol...its crazy to play practice rounds with 15y/os

Last edited:
Coverage

Terry and I are leaving tonight for Kzoo. We will be filming and hopefully putting out the video coverage relatively soon after. I may even dip my toe in the editing waters, which I have only done one other time. We will be filming the last 2 days of rounds. Not sure exactly who we will be covering, but I assure you, there will be coverage.

Thanks!

According to the PDGA bid guidelines for 2016 World Ams, the long drive competition should be: "Open flat area approximately 250' wide x 800' long". Not sure if the 2015 bid mentions "flat" for the driving competition or not. http://www.pdga.com/files/pdga_am_worlds_bid_process_-_2016.pdf. Page 22.
Standard boiler plate. However, this doesn't take precedence over a location that can handle all of the field events, even if field isn't perfectly flat.

Terry and I are leaving tonight for Kzoo. We will be filming and hopefully putting out the video coverage relatively soon after. I may even dip my toe in the editing waters, which I have only done one other time. We will be filming the last 2 days of rounds. Not sure exactly who we will be covering, but I assure you, there will be coverage.

Thanks!
:hfive: someone find the vanilla ice video I'm on mobile...

Go ninja go ninja go!

Love seeing Huey and Austin doing well and representing Charlotte disc golf. Huey is definitely a course mule and masochist, and Austin is a lefty; That's all I require from either of them to get a :thmbup:

Latest posts