• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds full- Another registration fiasco?

ahhh next year......Rusco is TD and handled 900 players at lat weeks GBO....would it feasible to do that for Worlds then we could serve both purposes...all the best get in and all the pilgrimaging disc golf fanatics can be part of it

Seems the logical explanation

I doubt it. The GBO handled 900 players on all 5 Emporia courses because each division only played 3 rounds in 3 days on tee times. That's apples and oranges.

I will say this 100 times. There is an Amateur Worlds and a Pro Worlds. There wouldn't be two separate events if the Pro part didn't matter. And despite what some of you want to think it is the most prestigious title in Disc Golf. Top title=Top players.

Hey folks let's remember. Pro Frolfers are professional. they make there living from throwing discs. If they want to get paid they must do paper work which requires them to show up on time. No excuse for missing a regestration time. Oh by the way if , Klimo shows up late to his tee time do they let him off the hook because he is the champ. No ! penalty. Log into work late. No job

Hey folks let's remember. Pro Frolfers are professional. they make there living from throwing discs. If they want to get paid they must do paper work which requires them to show up on time. No excuse for missing a regestration time. Oh by the way if , Klimo shows up late to his tee time do they let him off the hook because he is the champ. No ! penalty. Log into work late. No job
Frolf and disc golf are different.

It is the pros responsibility 100%. I personally wouldn't feel sorry for a top pro (under most circumstances) for not getting into Worlds when they have 10 hours to register and are expecting it. That being said situations evolve. The top 10-20 at the least should be guaranteed a spot if they want it in the future. People want to see top competition. For Worlds to maintain its spot of the highest regarded win of the year then the process of registration needs to evolve to ensure it maintains its prestige. I don't like Schusterick much since he's prodigy, but I sure want to see him there as a fan of the game. If you don't want the game to grow you are selfish. It's not about keeping all low rated people out necessarily, it's about guaranteeing atleast the top 10 have a spot. In a perfect world the amount of spots required to hold world's will increase to allow more players who qualify to play, but all of us ams need to admit that without the top pros it is watered down and loses value.

Any sponsor that lets one of their top performers not get in to Worlds should be ashamed. What's the point of having a team if there's no support?

I only see him on the registered players list. Who said he was on the waitlist?

He was there, he was #2 on the waitlist, many players have already moved up. I think Rico was #12 when I posted this two days ago, and now he is #7. So there has been some movement. Maybe it'll all get worked out by the time the actual tourney arrives. As long as Barsby gets in too, maybe I'll be a little less bitter ;)

He was there, he was #2 on the waitlist, many players have already moved up. I think Rico was #12 when I posted this two days ago, and now he is #7. So there has been some movement. Maybe it'll all get worked out by the time the actual tourney arrives. As long as Barsby gets in too, maybe I'll be a little less bitter ;)

That there's been movement from the waitlist only 3 days since registration opened kinda makes the panic from some in this thread a bit premature.

That there's been movement from the waitlist only 3 days since registration opened kinda makes the panic from some in this thread a bit premature.

Maybe so, I actually hope so. Still think it's newsworthy for disc golf junkies to discuss, as many of us think this is a very imperfect system that shows little signs of improving.

I look at this tournament as the most important of the year, as do many others in the disc golf world. The PDGA promotes it as such, the sponsors tout their players as world champions is they win this one tourney (maybe the USDGC is the only other tourney that sponsors hugely promote their players for winning in the form of giving signature discs, promotions in their team, and using their likeness in ads). If this system doesn't change, and the qualification process doesn't change, then we might see a bigger fiasco than we have seen at the memorial or this worlds.

I understand the grips and points from all sides, think they are valid. I just think it's worth pointing out that there is huge room for improvement, and the people that are interested in following Worlds as fans want the top players in there.

The PDGA has a world ranking system, a National Tour ranking system, a player rating system, it just seems like they could use those to allow at least the top 50 players (all those who actually stand a chance of winning it) an automatic signup, with them having an opt-out date or something, then open up the rest of registration to those who qualify on the points system.

Maybe the sky isn't falling right now, but surely this shouldn't just be ignored. Many people want this issue addressed, as seen by the many times this has been discussed in the past, not just by people here, but by pros in social media. This isn't ideal, and there's seems to be simple was of helping to improve the situation.

Even if you don't care about whiny, entitled pros....

Even if you're not a fan of the top players, don't care to watch Worlds, and have disdain for those who are and do.....

If you're the PDGA or host city, going to the trouble of organizing a "world championship", don't you want the top players there? Wouldn't you want to make reasonable accommodations to have them there?

In micro terms I have this problem with a c tier I run every yr

I could fill it with my tagholders and it would essentially be a big tags match

ho hum soooo boring so I try to save spots for regional pros

Whats to stop Emporia Worlds from just being a bunch of locals competing for the Worlds Title

I thinking more spots and allowing +1000 a week is the logical fix

It can be a festival and a serious tourney simultaneously

Even if you don't care about whiny, entitled pros....

Even if you're not a fan of the top players, don't care to watch Worlds, and have disdain for those who are and do.....

If you're the PDGA or host city, going to the trouble of organizing a "world championship", don't you want the top players there? Wouldn't you want to make reasonable accommodations to have them there?

What about the current process isn't "reasonable accommodations" though? They're invited. They are given plenty of notice as far as when to sign up. Seems there's room to debate whether or not special accommodations rate as "reasonable".

I think the host club/city's primary concern is filling the tournament. Period. The prospect of spectators and giving them "something to watch" doesn't really come into play since no one is coming in from out of town just to watch...at least not in the sense that they're booking hotel rooms, eating out, etc. They're probably relatively local and will commute into town to watch. Regardless of player ratings, if every spot is filled, the hosts should be happy.

Latest posts