• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Tourney Videos

anyone know if there someone was filming the SoCal A-Tier this past weekend? Maybe CCDG?

I had family in town unfortunately :(

In the good news department, I talked with Jomez today and we're gonna bust out some commentary on the TX States vids.

In other good news, I have plane tickets purchased for Beaver State Fling and Worlds. Next up is Daisy Chains, and then Masters Cup. :)

Great vid of the Texas state . great golf as well, loved it. Thx for the post

He is one of the best putters in Texas and one of the states better players for 10+ years. Alejandro isn't even his most well known catch phrase around Austin.

I enjoyed playing with Alejandro while I was in Texas. He had the #1 of all time speech after winning a tournament (I think it was at Texas State San Marcos if I recall). He wins, accepts his cash and says, "I've only got one thing to say, y'all need to practice more. Don't give up"

It was awesome!

I don't understand how an A tier event can't provide some sort of decent teeing area. Did you see how many times Uli looked down after throwing? That's because he slipped. IMO this is completely unacceptable. I've also heard a few pros say that they will skip events like this because they don't want to gamble their cash and rating on how many times they do or don't slip on bad teeing areas. I would do the same thing myself.

Last edited:
I don't understand how an A tier event can't provide some sort of decent teeing area. Did you see how many times Uli looked down after throwing? That's because he slipped. IMO this is completely unacceptable.

True. The courses as whole looked a bit on the rough side. Not sure if they're permanent or not.

At the same time nobody else had footing issues on the tee. Maybe Uli wore the wrong shoes.

I have never tried to post a video before, but here is round 1 of the St Patties Day Meltdown in Fort Collins, CO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QPhau82rjE

Good event, you know if there was any footage of the final round when we played the tough layout?

The camera started on my card round 1 and quickly decided to go follow Joes card. I told him he has the rest of the weekend to film Joe.

He didn't upload the couple holes he filmed of us, which means you all don't get to see me throw a beast of a roller (and botch an upshot, have a putt not make it to the pole, and then miss the mando on the next hole... early morning jitters first tourney in a while...)

According to Jay Reading (on a Smashboxx interview, the tournament committee only had 11 days to get the course ready for the tournament after getting approval to use the land. Apparently the site was once a golf course that had gone fallow. Someone had a plan to put in condos, but that didn't pan out. Now the city has purchased the land and plans to use it for flood control and may add amenities such as a DG course.

That said, I agree that the course wasn't state-champoinship caliber. It might be nice in the future, but ...

Yeah, with all the 'regulations' and design specs of discs, baskets, and courses - you'd think the PDGA would mandate some basics in terms of tees. The natural rutted, sandy, patchy tees aren't a good thing by any means.

I don't understand how an A tier event can't provide some sort of decent teeing area. Did you see how many times Uli looked down after throwing? That's because he slipped. IMO this is completely unacceptable. I've also heard a few pros say that they will skip events like this because they don't want to gamble their cash and rating on how many times they do or don't slip on bad teeing areas. I would do the same thing myself.

I think a lot of folks let sand boxes be a mental excuse. They weren't all that bad. Yeah nor ideal for that level of event. But if you have hood technique and the course is as wide open as this place is....it's fine...

when i think of texas i think of deserts and cowboys and camels and stuff. i think its cool that there are trees and grasses there at all! concrete tee squares are overrated anyways. not a very natural choice

The Texas States Courses were supposed to be secured by December 2014 but it got hung up in local politics and kept getting pushed back 2 weeks here, 3 weeks there and wasn't given the green light until HFDS told the city that we were either getting approval by Friday night or they would be refunding all players money and canceling the tournament. Hopefully just a bluff but it worked and HFDS was given verbal approval only 2 hours before the deadline. I agree it wasn't the best in teebox standards, the golf course has a sand foundation and that popped right up shortly after people started coming out to practice due to the soft turf. The first 5 or so days of the 11 days of prep-time it rained hard so nothing could get done until really like Monday and Tuesday the week of. I had to work so I couldn't volunteer but the Houston disc golfers really stepped up to get a ton of work done in only a handful of days. I heard today that the lead mower drove a 6-7 hour round trip to borrow tractors for mowing...and he wasn't even playing the event! Him and a crew of guys were out there mowing 8 hour sessions for days in a row. Awesome job Sheldon, TJ, Griff, Hemmie, Andi &SV crew, and everyone else who were out there trimming, edging, and mowing! Like I said, I agree it was not up to A-Tier standards but it definitely wasn't for lack of effort!

The Texas States Courses were supposed to be secured by December 2014 but it got hung up in local politics and kept getting pushed back 2 weeks here, 3 weeks there and wasn't given the green light until HFDS told the city that we were either getting approval by Friday night or they would be refunding all players money and canceling the tournament. Hopefully just a bluff but it worked and HFDS was given verbal approval only 2 hours before the deadline. I agree it wasn't the best in teebox standards, the golf course has a sand foundation and that popped right up shortly after people started coming out to practice due to the soft turf. The first 5 or so days of the 11 days of prep-time it rained hard so nothing could get done until really like Monday and Tuesday the week of. I had to work so I couldn't volunteer but the Houston disc golfers really stepped up to get a ton of work done in only a handful of days. I heard today that the lead mower drove a 6-7 hour round trip to borrow tractors for mowing...and he wasn't even playing the event! Him and a crew of guys were out there mowing 8 hour sessions for days in a row. Awesome job Sheldon, TJ, Griff, Hemmie, Andi &SV crew, and everyone else who were out there trimming, edging, and mowing! Like I said, I agree it was not up to A-Tier standards but it definitely wasn't for lack of effort!

Oh I totally agree they did well with that they had available to work with, but jeesh...why not just make it easier and pick a better course that doesn't have all the drama attached? There are some stunning, hard courses in Texas as we all know that would easily be worth of hosting a Texas State Open.