• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Am Worlds - Madison, Wi

I amassed enough points to qualify for MA1 or MM1, so I am assuming that once the open registration starts, I can sign up for either. More than likely I will sign up for MA1 because I prefer to play courses at their longest/ meanest.

MM1 and MA1 playing the exact same course layouts.

That is good to know because, unless I am completely wrong and was not paying attention because this is only the first year I am MM1, in previous years it always seems that MM1 were playing different/ shorter courses. I am not making any statements about abilities, but if I am going to travel, I want to see courses at their best/ meanest because more than likely because of my life I am never going to visit them again.

Several years back when I traveled to play in the Des Moines Open, I was sitting on the fence between intermediate and advanced. Since I was traveling and did not know what to expect, I decided to play intermediate. On one of their best courses I practiced playing from the longs and instantly loved the layout and challenge, but upon being broken up into divisions, intermediates ended up playing shorts and advanced play longs. I definitely felt cheated.

I have since improved my consistency and now belong in advance, so that is no longer an issue. More than likely I would get my you-know-what handed to me if I instantly started playing MM1. I do not feel old, nor do I consider myself old, but last year a 25 year-old on my card told me how impressive it was for an old guy like me to throw so far. Ouch. Thankfully I have enough points for MA1, but if the courses are definitely going to be the same for MM1, at least now I have options.

Correspondence from the PDGA:

You are Masters age so you needed at least 250 points earned in all Amateur divisions for an MM1 invite. In order to also receive an MA1 invite you would have needed to earn 750 points playing MA1.

I'm asking them for clarity about whether this is solely because I'm MM1 eligible, or if it is across the board as far as needing MA1 only points. Seems like a major screw job, though, if people under 40 can use any AM points to qualify, but over 40 you would need specific divisional points.

There were many people that had multiple invites.
I noticed some potential issues with the invite list (including your situation) and have sent a message to the PDGA. Stay tuned.

MM1 and MA1 playing the exact same course layouts.

Chuck is correct. We will be using a composite course (some holes from long tees and some from shorts) for everyone at Bird's Ruins, and everyone will play long tees at Cap Springs, but the other three courses will have some divisions playing long tees and some divisions playing short tees. Every division will play each course once, except for the Legends and the youngest Juniors (the new <=8 and <=6 divisions), who will skip Cap Springs and only play four rounds of 18. Based on the current schedule, MA1, MM1, and MJ1 will all play longs. The other divisions will have one, two, or three rounds from short tees.

The course schedule will be included in the invitation package, although it still could change slightly before the event. With how much time Chuck and I have already spent on drafts of the schedule, the only thing that would likely change is if some division sizes get tweaked as registration unfolds and we need to adjust pool configurations. That may affect the order some people play the courses, but not much else.

You are Masters age so you needed at least 250 points earned in all Amateur divisions for an MM1 invite. In order to also receive an MA1 invite you would have needed to earn 750 points playing MA1.

I'm asking them for clarity about whether this is solely because I'm MM1 eligible, or if it is across the board as far as needing MA1 only points. Seems like a major screw job, though, if people under 40 can use any AM points to qualify, but over 40 you would need specific divisional points.

That is definitely not what I've been told in the past. I was under the assumption at all am points were counted the same and you didn't need to earn points in a specific divison. Thats either a mistake or the qualifying system was not communicated properly.

That is definitely not what I've been told in the past. I was under the assumption at all am points were counted the same and you didn't need to earn points in a specific divison. Thats either a mistake or the qualifying system was not communicated properly.

I was under the same impression. This is pretty much saying I'm being penalized because I'm (relatively) old.

Intresting. Being from Michigan and never having encounter this is very odd to me. Thanks for the reply's.

Intresting. Being from Michigan and never having encounter this is very odd to me. Thanks for the reply's.

There's a LOT of traffic on just a few courses in the Madison area. Erosion is a real problem.

Also, just got confirmation about my conundrum.

Sine I'm 40, I'd have to accumulate 750 points in MA1 throughout the year. If I were 38, I could accumulate points in any division towards an MA1 invite. Seems pretty damn dumb to me, and is not clearly outlined in the qualification rules.

I believe this response from the PDGA is not quite correct. you did not need to earn 750 points playing MA1 in order to receive an MA1 invite. you needed 750 points from any am division to be eligible for MA1 invite.

so if you earned 400 points playing MA1 and 350 points from playing MM1, you earned 750 Am points and would therefore be eligible.
The PDGA does not distinguish where you earned your points beyond the pro vs am distinction.

I believe this response from the PDGA is not quite correct. you did not need to earn 750 points playing MA1 in order to receive an MA1 invite. you needed 750 points from any am division to be eligible for MA1 invite.

so if you earned 400 points playing MA1 and 350 points from playing MM1, you earned 750 Am points and would therefore be eligible.
The PDGA does not distinguish where you earned your points beyond the pro vs am distinction.

Actually, one thing everyone is missing is that points in MA2, MA3, and even MA4 count toward a MA1 invite.

The controversy comes for those of us playing in age-protected divisions.

What I am trying to say is there is no controversy.
MM1 points also count toward an MA1 invite. And vice versa.

There's a LOT of traffic on just a few courses in the Madison area. Erosion is a real problem.

Also, just got confirmation about my conundrum.

Sine I'm 40, I'd have to accumulate 750 points in MA1 throughout the year. If I were 38, I could accumulate points in any division towards an MA1 invite. Seems pretty damn dumb to me, and is not clearly outlined in the qualification rules.

Agreed that it is not clearly stated in the rules. I wonder if you earned points in Masters as a Grandmaster, what division you would qualify for?

I think, much like the mid season point change last season, the issue is clarity and the chance to understand what is needed to qualify.

Can't be. For example, at last year's Am Worlds, the top 25 finishers in MG1 all earned more than 750 points. If that were true all of us would have MA1 invites. And we don't.

Same for the top 45 finishers in MM1.

Last edited:
Not any more. Total Am points earned DO count to get an invite in your "home" division based on age. However, for MM1 and older, you need to actually earn 750 points playing in MA1-4 during the year to also get an initial MA1 invite, not that you can't enter it later if still available.

Not any more. Total Am points earned DO count to get an invite in your "home" division based on age. However, for MM1 and older, you need to actually earn 750 points playing in MA1-4 during the year to also get an initial MA1 invite, not that you can't enter it later if still available.

When did this rule change happen?