• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excessive time is not a courtesy violation, it has its own rule to the thrower. Courtesy violations are for non-throwers or thrower

Your right. Bad word choice on my part. Its still a warning first tho, which he needs no second from the card for and the penalties wouldn't start until the next call (with a second)

I don't think he was trying to call a courtesy violation for excessive time. I think he was trying to call Paul under

That's the only way it makes sense that it would be his turn to throw.

If so, he would have needed confirmation from another player.

It would seem to be correct that he didn't get the confirmation, since the rule clearly applies only to the start of the round.

That did seem like what he was trying to do. Which is really dumb.

Did any of you check out Paul's fb page and read the commentary of this fiasco? McCrybabys wife jumped into the conversation and seemed ready to bust some heads open

Did any of you check out Paul's fb page and read the commentary of this fiasco? McCrybabys wife jumped into the conversation and seemed ready to bust some heads open

Anything you'd like to share for those of us not reading the book of faces?

Anything you'd like to share for those of us not reading the book of faces?

It's mainly ppl ragging on McCray and her defending him over and over again. Also alludes to the fact that certain players get leniency in rules over others. Said McCray and Paul shook hands and he apologized to Paul and all is good. Obviously pissing her off that JohnE is getting so much criticism.

Anyone want to chime in on the rules on this one? Facilitating pace of play specifically refers to letting the non away player throw. Can that be applied to tee shots as well? Honest question

It doesn't seem to be allowed according to a strict interpretation, but it sure is an easy logical extension to make and seems fair.

I have done it often (because I can't throw far enough to hit even the first tree) and it's never come up as an issue.

But, I won't anymore, just to be safe.

He didn't handle it well. I think he's probably a good dude however, that's why he apologized to mcpants and gave that dude he hit a signed disc.

Things seemed to be aggravating him, disc golf can be like that. Maybe it was the rate of play, I think he's usually a quick player, to a fault at times. Like at usdgc where he threw like 4 times in a matter of seconds. And same thing throwing from that bridge during Ledgstone.

Its what I don't like about playing poker and usually go all in on a 2-3 off suit. :p

Not everyone has patience.

Absolutely!! Drama increases the watchability. Look at wwe, it's not the lame wrestling moves and bashing each other with folding chairs that keeps people coming back, it's the drama (as fake as it is) between the players.

Did you really just compare disc golf to wrestling? Be careful what you wish for. Wrestling's a joke. Do you really want the sport you invested so much time in to become one too?

Why is the whole cupcake thing a big deal? So what... he was having some fun with one of his friends. It didnt seem like cupcake was mad about it at all, he was just busy getting frosting off his face. I would have been stoked to be 13 and have Paul McBeth call me up to be on TV, even if it was to give me crap on my birthday.
Wow, nobody gets this. really? McPants took a bathroom break like two holes ago. A break that took ~45 seconds where he then rushes back and immediately throws before JohnE actually figures out the rule book. What's lost in there is that Paul probably didn't wash his hands. Would you quickly launch a drive with freshly washed hands? I doubt it, especially if he used those air dryer things that never get your hands completely dry (not in 45 seconds anyway).

That's right, Paul McBeth stuffed bacterial, possibly fecal, cupcakes all in Cupcake's mouth and eyes. And with a name like Cupcake I'm guessing his diet isn't well equipped to fighting off infections.

Typhoid Paul, for shame. :|

A. A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to
each player to make a throw after

(1) The previous player has thrown; and,

(2) The player has had a reasonable amount of
time to arrive at the disc; and,

(3) The playing area is clear and free of
distractions.
Part 3 is where Paul is good. With all those water fountains shooting streams of water everywhere in that park, with his full bladder he definitely did not have a playing area clear and free of distractions. :|

It doesn't seem to be allowed according to a strict interpretation, but it sure is an easy logical extension to make and seems fair.

I have done it often (because I can't throw far enough to hit even the first tree) and it's never come up as an issue.

But, I won't anymore, just to be safe.

The penalty for throwing out of turn is a courtesy violation, and of course, the first violation is a warning. If the players agree you can go out of order, you can be pretty sure no one will call you ;)

How many times have players thrown out of order because the scorekeeper called out the wrong order? When everyone's scores are similar, going back five or more holes to determine order can be confusing for someone trying to focus on their game ... just sayin'

and besides ...

Logically, applying a violation to teeing off out of order is kind of a mess because if one player is out of order, then so is at least one other player.

For example, the teeing order was Philo, Paul, JohnE, Nate. So if JohnE had thrown 2nd, Paul would necessarily also be out of order since he could no longer throw after Philo. Further, if Paul threw after JohnE, then Nate would also have been out of order since he could not throw after JohnE.

Why is this rule not controversial? Because most people are reasonable, and prefer sportsmanship over gamesmanship.

You'd think a "hey guys, I have to take a piss. Be right back." Would have saved a lot of drama here.

Apparently not, as that is exactly what he did.

If JohnE thought that McBeths penalty would be par+4, it makes sense that he would try and call it, as that would, at that point, put him infront of McBeth and up on spot in the payouts. But is amazing to me that he still has issues with a call from 10 years ago, and doesn't know the rules better as a top Pro.

Good to hear that he apologized to McBeth afterwards, and that it didn't influence the outcome of the tournament. Still, it's a dick move, and he really should work on his internal mental game. It seemed as it didn't do anything good for his own game.

Wow, nobody gets this. really? McPants took a bathroom break like two holes ago. A break that took ~45 seconds where he then rushes back and immediately throws before JohnE actually figures out the rule book. What's lost in there is that Paul probably didn't wash his hands. Would you quickly launch a drive with freshly washed hands? I doubt it, especially if he used those air dryer things that never get your hands completely dry (not in 45 seconds anyway).

That's right, Paul McBeth stuffed bacterial, possibly fecal, cupcakes all in Cupcake's mouth and eyes. And with a name like Cupcake I'm guessing his diet isn't well equipped to fighting off infections.

Typhoid Paul, for shame. :|

That is the funniest thing I've read on here in awhile :hfive:

Still, it's a dick move, and he really should work on his internal mental game. It seemed as it didn't do anything good for his own game.

Good point on the mental game angle. All the top guys have all the shots. PM doesn't physically do anything anyone else competing with him can't do. The difference is the mental edge PM has over all the other guys.

That difference manifests when we see other guys crack, like with what happened to JohnE during McPeeGate. I was rooting for Philo hard but he cracked too in that final round. Nikko cracked during round 2. Everyone has cracked trying to beat PM. But PM never ever cracks. That's the difference.

Excessive time is not a courtesy violation, it has its own rule to the thrower. Courtesy violations are for non-throwers or thrower. I would think "A" would supersede a time violation shot clock. How many people and animals got hit?

Although this probably opens another can or worms. Shouldn't McCray and Philo have been called for violations, hitting a person?

Both of those were pretty huge griplocks but I don't recall anyone yelling 'FORE' on that so you could conceivably call that a courtesy violationl.

I like how they just stand there and quietly look at each other instead of telling JohnE to pull out a rule book. We have a rule book, why not reference it when you aren't certain on the call. Him saying "Does anyone NOT know the rule?" just makes it amusing to me because he obviously doesn't.

Glad to hear they shook hands and he apologized, I'm sure the crow was sticking in his teeth.

I see Paul wearing a band om his knee...see this lot in the Army when people develop "runner's knee." Hopefully its just a precautionary measure and he isnt already dealing with knee problems at his age.

Furthermore....I REALLY wish we could see Lizotte's card....he's tearing it up!

IIRC, he screwed it up playing baseball some years back.

Just re-watched the final day on Smashboxx. I was thinking about watching it in person as I did last year, but couldn't make it happen. Comparing the size of the crowd this year to last it seems I wasn't the only one, which is odd because for once the weather was awesome. Congratulations to Paul for the solid win, and Nate for some exceptional play all weekend. Philo had a great week as well- making the lead card for the final after winning the Gentlemen's Challenge handily the weekend before. McCray's crazy behavior makes me not feel so bad about my past mental lapses anyway... lol poor guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts