• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Worlds Locations

... and the Chamber of Commerce gal checking us in at GBO kinda let the cat out of the bag. She mentioned 2016 Pro Worlds and 2017 Am Worlds coming to Emporia, KS. I told her that nobody should really know that. It was priceless.

... and the Chamber of Commerce gal checking us in at GBO kinda let the cat out of the bag. She mentioned 2016 Pro Worlds and 2017 Am Worlds coming to Emporia, KS. I told her that nobody should really know that. It was priceless.

Did you just announce the 2017 Am Worlds is in Emporia??

Well Rusco mentioned it at the player's meeting that they were bidding for it, although I'd imagine that the PDGA had already decided by then.

Did you just announce the 2017 Am Worlds is in Emporia??

Spilling the beans in a story about telling someone they shouldn't be spilling the beans. That is priceless.

I would think having the people able, and willing, to run Worlds also narrows now the number of bidders. An increasing number of locations have sufficient courses. Having a local club or individuals capable of hosting such and event, and volunteering to do so, is probably quite a bit rarer.

^^^ I bet this is the case in 80% of the areas that people want to see worlds. When I was a board member of a larger club in North Texas we talked about submitting a bid during a few of our meetings. The general consensus was that we don't have the man power, time, money to put into realistically pulling off an even like this even though there are the courses close enough together to have it. It also doesn't help with the fact that the club is on the hook for nearly all of the $$$ loss and only half the profit. Makes it more of a labor of love than a legitimate business decision (unless you're DD and can pull it off with flying colors)

^^^ I bet this is the case in 80% of the areas that people want to see worlds. When I was a board member of a larger club in North Texas we talked about submitting a bid during a few of our meetings. The general consensus was that we don't have the man power, time, money to put into realistically pulling off an even like this even though there are the courses close enough together to have it. It also doesn't help with the fact that the club is on the hook for nearly all of the $$$ loss and only half the profit. Makes it more of a labor of love than a legitimate business decision (unless you're DD and can pull it off with flying colors)

Manpower is the key. St. Louis has plenty of courses that could support either Pro or Am or even combined, but no real manpower past the board members. It's a shame really.

Im sure everyone saw that 2016 worlds is in Emporia. Kind of bummed honestly. The courses are well designed but not very fun to watch. Nothing like Oregon. Pittsburgh is probably going to be really beautiful as well. Oh well.