• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2017 Discraft Ace Race

Finally got the ace race in today, it was a cold wet one!
I liked this disc a lot. It worked well for low laser beams. A little more hyser and 70% and it would flip nicely to flat before fading out. And it has a nice s curve at 70-80% and a flat release.
The flight is very similar to my latitude core, but faster and maybe a little less glide. Feels great in the hand.
More testing is necessary but I think it has a chance of making the bag.

I think it is more of a woods disc, but im hoping work for rollers and annys.

The shirts sizes were a mess though. I ordered a large and ended up with an xxl ... I wonder if discraft would hook me up

I would say 90% of disc golfers would benefit from throwing a flippier bag and not trying to torque the same OS discs that pros use but that's just me.

Agreed. you watch McBeth he hyzer flips a lot. he just has the power to do that with a destroyer and a thunderbird. Most of us don't. Most am player would do better with Barry's bag rather then Paul's.

I would say 90% of disc golfers would benefit from throwing a flippier bag and not trying to torque the same OS discs that pros use but that's just me.

I see the opposite in my area. The newish guys flock to US stuff because it gives them distance. They continue this trend as they climb the speed ladder. Then comes a wooded dogleg left and then some headwind and they can't figure out why they straightened the dogleg or why this disc is suddenly flying right.

I see the opposite in my area. The newish guys flock to US stuff because it gives them distance. They continue this trend as they climb the speed ladder. Then comes a wooded dogleg left and then some headwind and they can't figure out why they straightened the dogleg or why this disc is suddenly flying right.

where i am at is just the oppisite. We have a bunch of innova fan boys who bags usually consist of a couple bosses, a destroyer or 2, firebird a roc 3 and a putter. with a top distance of 300'.

This is the better move imo, if you throw and control a flippy bag then all you have to do is add a slightly more stable disc (or a little more hyser) .
If you throw all OS then you likely won't have the touch or form to go the other way.

Finally got the ace race in today, it was a cold wet one!
I liked this disc a lot. It worked well for low laser beams. A little more hyser and 70% and it would flip nicely to flat before fading out. And it has a nice s curve at 70-80% and a flat release.
The flight is very similar to my latitude core, but faster and maybe a little less glide. Feels great in the hand.
More testing is necessary but I think it has a chance of making the bag.

I think it is more of a woods disc, but im hoping work for rollers and annys.

You about nailed it. I throw mostly US (putter to driver) and what I know is that I have to be careful with the wind... it was almost impossible for me to gauge during the event. I though I had a tail wind and soon as it clear it a tree or two it became a headwind or right to left with and vice versa, so aside from a few protected throws I was all over the place.
I did get out with it yesterday in a field(173/174gr) and found it to be a slightly more US Leo3 with it just kinda dying out at the end with a small hook fade to center. (7,4,-2.5,1.5) for my arm speed. At this point I do like it better than the glide as it has just a bit more meat to it.

Got home from the AR. Had a lot of fun, no metals, total I think there were 4 aces and 10 metals, from 30 players on 36 holes. I really don't know about the disc, didn't actually rip on it, but for me it kind of flew like a more US, slower Meteor. On the real short holes where I was long putting rather than approaching it did have a touch of fade at the very end, kind of Challenger-ish. A few people were calling it a fairway driver, but overall most complaints were form related rather than disc related.

I did the event yesterday. Did pretty good. Got my first ever ace and hit metal three times. Exciting day. Not sure about the disc but it has a shot at making my bag.

What's up with the mini buzzz? I understand its illegal for mini rounds. What is the purpose of it?

Great another super flippy disc that most players really can't use. I know its for beginners but make something stable, a Buzzz is used by beginners and pro's alike so I don't know why the disc always needs to be flippy. The Zombee was the best Ace RAce disc. Straight glide for everyone!

I think the best Ace race disc was the Impact, though most hate the Hash-marking on the disc so much that when the Innova Meko came out a few years later most flocked to a similar disc from Innova even more so when the Meko 3 came out which is identical to the Impact jut one speed slower then the Impact, making the Meko and Meko 3 a midrange where the Impact is a slow Fairway Driver. Remember the Impact was out 2007 before the Buzz SS 2008 that is the disc closest to the Impact in flight from Discraft. The Buzz from 2003 is not that close to the Impact, it is a tad more overstable at end of flight, hooks harder left at end.

I did the event yesterday. Did pretty good. Got my first ever ace and hit metal three times. Exciting day. Not sure about the disc but it has a shot at making my bag.

What's up with the mini buzzz? I understand its illegal for mini rounds. What is the purpose of it?

I think soon small disc tournaments might be a thing with brands such as Discraft, MVP/Axiom or even Dynamic Discs making these small discs and having a full lineup. Even Dynamic Discs has a basket made just for these kinds of shots. I think if you wait a few years every brand might be making these discs. Even Innova has a disc like this, the lesser Sonic but even they might get in on this market soon.
I would like to see the PDGA do what they do with mini rounds and make a tournament set for these small discs using a set of rules for the size of the disc.

I think soon small disc tournaments might be a thing with brands such as Discraft, MVP/Axiom or even Dynamic Discs making these small discs and having a full lineup. Even Dynamic Discs has a basket made just for these kinds of shots. I think if you wait a few years every brand might be making these discs. Even Innova has a disc like this, the lesser Sonic but even they might get in on this market soon.
I would like to see the PDGA do what they do with mini rounds and make a tournament set for these small discs using a set of rules for the size of the disc.

That would be cool. It looks fun to throw.

So, I finally got a chance to go out and throw the AR-17 tester.

First impression was that it feels really good in the hand. Speed 6-ish rim width is super easy to get a hold of, and I'm personally a fan of the flat (or even slightly convex) wing bottom.

It really is flippy. Also has good glide. At 200' of power it'll fly pretty straight. At 250' feet of power it will flip a little but come back to a solid fade at the end. Anywhere north of ~275' of power, and it will turn & burn unless you put a lot of air underneath it or start out on a significant hyzer angle. However, it is relatively easy to crank out big hyzer-flip-to-flex type lines. I could see this being the farthest flying disc for someone who throws ~300', because that's the level of power that will make it fly a nice big S-curve distance line. (This is true at >6000ft of elevation, it would be even flippier at lower altitudes.)

I do think it's a good disc for Ace Race type purposes. It's beginner friendly in terms of the power required to make it fly well, and it certainly rewards touchy throws more than muscle/torque. Experienced players should be able to figure out how to make it work for the 150-250' Ace Race ranges. However, as far as usefulness in the bag, anyone with much power will likely find that it only really fits in the understable utility slot.

Who wants the tester disc next?

I got a chance to play in the Ace Race this weekend!

1st: I really like the disc itself on the look/feel - and even flight. For a beginner control driver its not bad.
2nd: I ACTUALLY GOT AN ACE! and like 9 metals. Our hole layout was pretty short and it was mildly windy to I had to just spike hyzer everything as my 'run right at it' wasn't working because I'd go deep by like 100ft haha

Overall the disc feels great, to me, it was a speed 6 Roadrunner. It looks and feels like a roadrunner but with more of a speed 6 rim. I got both Max weights....it actually isn't super flippy at heavy weight. If you power it up it will absolutely flip but on a avg throw its pretty stable. So I think it was a good disc for the event and I can see a LOT of people liking this disc. I won't bag it but it is a neat disc to try out, it was like a flippier Axiom Crave - thin, comfy - speed 6 kinda driver. Not shabby

Speed 6 Roadrunner is a very good description ^ Nice work in your Ace Race, too!

Or, another way to think of it, is somewhere between 2 previous Ace Race discs: The Archer and the Heat. Both of those are flippy and glidey, which the AR17 certainly is. I'd say the '17 is just a hair faster than the Archer and quite a bit slower than the Heat, but in terms of grip it feels more like the Heat because the rim has a true driver shape whereas the Archer is like a stretched mid with that weird square-ish bead. Maybe 20% Heat / 80% Archer.

I hope the z comes out just a touch more stable. I think ar17 will pair nicely with stalkers to cover fairway needs.

Name is official based on the PDGA Approved Discs sheet.

Discraft Stinger

Odd considering Ching has a Stinger...