• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Glass Blown Open

araytx

* Ace Member *
Wow!

A lot of filled Am divisions in the first hour of registration!

Yup, I signed up 12 minutes into registration, I'm #27 on the waitlist.

As of right now, 2 hours in (8:00 CDT), there are 17 spots left ...

11 are in FA1 - Advanced women
6 are in MG1 0 Adv Grandmaster Men

Everyone else on waitlist, over 250 people. I'll bet some of the Intermediate Women start moving up quickly to fill those spots also, because there are 12 on the waitlist there.

Just wow! Congratulations Dynamic Discs for hosting such a great Am event in conjunction with a NT/A-tier.

Last edited:
Do the top pros have spots reserved for them in these major tournaments?

Do the top pros have spots reserved for them in these major tournaments?

Staggered registration. International Ams was last Monday: Today was US-based amateurs and International pros. Next Monday starts US-based pros 1020-rated & and above (men) 925-rated and above (women), and so on each Monday.

The following Monday will be 1000-rated men/900-rated women

then one week later 970/870

then if there's anything left the following Monday open to anyone.

Everything Am is already full save a few spots in Advanced Women.

Last edited:
Staggered registration. International Ams was last Monday: Today was US-based amateurs and International pros. Next Monday starts US-based pros 1020-rated & and above (men) 925-rated and above (women), and so on each Monday.

The following Monday will be 1000-rated men/900-rated women

then one week later 970/870

then if there's anything left the following Monday open to anyone.

Everything Am is already full save a few spots in Advanced Women.

Yeah I'm glad they're doing the tiered registration this year. I have a slightly worse chance of not making it (I am rated over 970, which will be the biggest portion of the field), but it should make for a more competitive event overall.

So there is a chance a pro can't register, if they miss the day/deadline? You seem to never hear of a top echelon player not playing for the reason they didn't get in that it filled up in 12 minutes and they missed the window type scenario?

So there is a chance a pro can't register, if they miss the day/deadline? You seem to never hear of a top echelon player not playing for the reason they didn't get in that it filled up in 12 minutes and they missed the window type scenario?
Considering that there are only 35 men and 17 women in the entire world whose ratings are high enough to make the first tier, those folks really have no excuse.

And aren't those the people this sort of system is supposed to protect anyway?

I did notice that this years am side has a lower player cap than last year. Would that be due fewer courses? It says nothing about Municipal being played this year.

I did notice that this years am side has a lower player cap than last year. Would that be due fewer courses? It says nothing about Municipal being played this year.

Better look again...

http://glassblownopen.com/courses
http://glassblownopen.com/competitor-info

There are six pools with 172 players each. Don't know how many were in each this year. I do know that some of the divisions who played Olpe Lake lost a round due to safety concerns from flooding. Perhaps they are trying to make wiggle room in case this happens again.

Better look again...

http://glassblownopen.com/courses
http://glassblownopen.com/competitor-info

There are six pools with 172 players each. Don't know how many were in each this year. I do know that some of the divisions who played Olpe Lake lost a round due to safety concerns from flooding. Perhaps they are trying to make wiggle room in case this happens again.

That's not what it says on the registration page.

I heard elsewhere that they were going to spread the tee times out some more, hoping to reduce backups.

I also heard last year when I was at GBO that the manager at the municipal ball golf course is not a disc golf fan. Apparently he scheduled a ball gold tourney for the same time as Worlds this year, on purpose.

But according to the competitor info page it appears that Muni is in it again.

Why do AM's love playing on such wide open, hyzer-yawn courses?

Two words...player pack.

One more word...atmosphere.

I'm not an am nor have I been to Emporia, but watching from afar, it sure seems like DD puts on a hell of a show for this event. It's probably worth the trip just for all the extras and the social experience, with the golf being a bonus.

There's also the old adage "there's no accounting for taste". Just because something isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who enjoy it immensely.

Why do AM's love playing on such wide open, hyzer-yawn courses?

Sure there's some wide open shots and sure some holes you can throw a hyzer, but it's nothing like throwing hyzers during field practice.

Personally for me playing in a wooded course is much easier where I don't have to think as much. I step up to the tee see the very limited number of lines I have and pick my best option and disc and throw.

But in Emporia I'm suddenly given lots of choices and this is where people with a stronger mental game and better shot and disc selection stand out.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

Yep, I'm aware of all that stuff.

I guess I would rather support my local scene and play on interesting courses.

Getting more DG stuff, throwing a hundred hyzers and spending hundreds of dollars is not offset by some socializing in my mind.

I just don't like the current trend of catering to more and more AM's at these type of events by adding boring courses.

I guess it's just indicative of what the AM's want. Bribe me with a huge players pack, lots of social hour/networking junk and watered down disc golf.

Good for DD and others, but it's not my cup of tea.

Sure there's some wide open shots and sure some holes you can throw a hyzer, but it's nothing like throwingw hyzers during field practice.

Personally for me playing in a wooded course is much easier where I don't have to think as much. I step up to the tee see the very limited number of lines I have and pick my best option and disc and throw.

But in Emporia I'm suddenly given lots of choices and this is where people with a stronger mental game and better shot and disc selection stand out.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

I strongly disagree. You might be given lots of choices on a wide open hole, but the majority of people are throwing the hyzer. Just watch past events here. If you don't hit your shot just right, you're still left with a relatively easy upshot.

Now play on a wooded course, you don't hit your line, chances are you won't have such an easy upshot. That to me is a better challenge for someone's mental game. Throwing a 300' shot and then a 150' lay up is not a challenge in my mind.

Many pros are on record that they threw literally the same disc over and over again during this year's world's. So I respect your opinion but disagree.

Yep, I'm aware of all that stuff.

I guess I would rather support my local scene and play on interesting courses.

Getting more DG stuff, throwing a hundred hyzers and spending hundreds of dollars is not offset by some socializing in my mind.

I just don't like the current trend of catering to more and more AM's at these type of events by adding boring courses.

I guess it's just indicative of what the AM's want. Bribe me with a huge players pack, lots of social hour/networking junk and watered down disc golf.

Good for DD and others, but it's not my cup of tea.

For a lot of the am's that played Olpie last year the only watering down was when their discs went down in the water. It will be interesting to see the pro's play that course this year. I almost wish I was going just to see it.