• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] 2017 Trilogy Challenge discs

ThrowinGhost

Eagle Member
Just played in a Trilogy Challenge today. Thought I'd post my feedback on the three discs.

-River Pro: More overstable than I anticipated. This disc could really handle a good rip. I was throwing it about 350' or so with little issues. It didn't hold up as well as I liked when thrown into a head/cross wind. It drifted a little right in these conditions. Probably won't replace my Teebirds.

-Pine: Fairly overstable midrange. This one had no issues with the slight headwinds we dealt with. I threw it into a straight 10mph-ish headwind on a 270' hole and it held straight and flew 50' past the basket haha. Without wind it held straight with a healthy fade at the end. I could see myself bagging it for a mid that is more overstable than my Buzzz but not as stable as the Quake.

-Deputy: My favorite disc of the day. A very neutral to slightly understable putter. Off the tee I was getting it to fly dead straight for about 250' holes. I could also power it up and get it to hold a gentle turn all the way down to the ground. For putting it was just straight. I'm more of a spin putter, and the Deputy flew wherever it was released. If I missed a putt I knew it was my fault. After the round I went back and bought another one to match. My friend ended up giving me his too, so I walked away with 3 of them. They'll be competing with my Daggers, and I can see them winning out because of their versatility off the tee. Can't wait for these in a more durable plastic.

Just played in a Trilogy Challenge today. Thought I'd post my feedback on the three discs.

-River Pro: More overstable than I anticipated. This disc could really handle a good rip. I was throwing it about 350' or so with little issues. It didn't hold up as well as I liked when thrown into a head/cross wind. It drifted a little right in these conditions. Probably won't replace my Teebirds.

-Pine: Fairly overstable midrange. This one had no issues with the slight headwinds we dealt with. I threw it into a straight 10mph-ish headwind on a 270' hole and it held straight and flew 50' past the basket haha. Without wind it held straight with a healthy fade at the end. I could see myself bagging it for a mid that is more overstable than my Buzzz but not as stable as the Quake.

-Deputy: My favorite disc of the day. A very neutral to slightly understable putter. Off the tee I was getting it to fly dead straight for about 250' holes. I could also power it up and get it to hold a gentle turn all the way down to the ground. For putting it was just straight. I'm more of a spin putter, and the Deputy flew wherever it was released. If I missed a putt I knew it was my fault. After the round I went back and bought another one to match. My friend ended up giving me his too, so I walked away with 3 of them. They'll be competing with my Daggers, and I can see them winning out because of their versatility off the tee. Can't wait for these in a more durable plastic.
Please list color and weight for your discs. Not sure it makes a difference, but people might keep it in mind.

Please list color and weight for your discs. Not sure it makes a difference, but people might keep it in mind.

All the discs choices were max or close to it at the challenge I played, so I mostly went for color.

River Pro: Pink, 174
Pine: Pink, 177
Deputy: Yellow, 173

Just finished playing a local Trilogy Challenge. Really liked all three discs. My question, though, is about the PDGA legal status of these discs before they are "officially" released. Can they be used in a sanctioned tourney yet?

Just finished playing a local Trilogy Challenge. Really liked all three discs. My question, though, is about the PDGA legal status of these discs before they are "officially" released. Can they be used in a sanctioned tourney yet?

Since they have been approved at least 30 days they are legal for PDGA play. It even says so on the Trilogy Challenge website.

Since they have been approved at least 30 days they are legal for PDGA play. It even says so on the Trilogy Challenge website.

FYI, the 30 days thing only applies to Worlds. You can legally use a disc on the day it's approved in any other event outside of Worlds.

Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod, it really sounds like there might be a Finnish Nebula in production!

gddy.gif

^Lulz! Are you implying that a Finnish Nebula means you could be finished with Nebulae?

SAY IT AIN'T SO!

*dibs on Dave's Nebulae if he pines for Pines*
BNM-> refuses to throw a disc actually named after a tree... surely that's an omen.

Anyone know when you'll be able to order these discs online individually? What about premium plastics?

Anyone know when you'll be able to order these discs online individually? What about premium plastics?

River Pro and Pine were in Opto/VIP plastic.
Deputy was in prime (I think, it was base plastic)

As far as ordering online, they probably won't be available until after Trilogy Challenge season

Based on past years, I think we'll see any leftover Trilogy Challenge discs made available for individual sale after the TC season ends in mid-September. Then there will probably be a release of each disc in another plastic (with stock stamps) late October or November...I'd guess those would probably be TP/Gold for the Pine and River Pro, and at least one of the Classic choices for the Deputy.

My wife and I played Saturday. From the reviews I thought the River Pro would be more overstable than it was for me. It was great, it just didn't fade like I expected and hoped.

The Pine was my favorite disc of the set. Super reliable, did what I wanted every time. Straight with a healthy fade at the end. It'll be in my bag for sure.

I'm not a huge fan of the Deputy. I already use a swan 2 for it's spot. But I like the feel in hand of the concave lower on the swan 2 more than the straight-angled plus uber-micro bead profile on the deputy.

I had a orange River Pro 175g, Yellow Pine 179g, and Yellow Deputy 173g.

My wife favored her blue 171g River Pro over the rest. She had some great throws with it. She also bags a regular river.

Based on past years, I think we'll see any leftover Trilogy Challenge discs made available for individual sale after the TC season ends in mid-September. Then there will probably be a release of each disc in another plastic (with stock stamps) late October or November...I'd guess those would probably be TP/Gold for the Pine and River Pro, and at least one of the Classic choices for the Deputy.

I really hope they put out the Pine in TP quick. I wish the challenge disc was in TP from the get go. I don't mind VIP, but I was looking forward to a TP Pine.

Last edited:
My wife and I played Saturday. From the reviews I thought the River Pro would be more overstable than it was for me. It was great, it just didn't fade like I expected and hoped.

The Pine was my favorite disc of the set. Super reliable, did what I wanted every time. Straight with a healthy fade at the end. It'll be in my bag for sure.

I'm not a huge fan of the Deputy. I already use a swan 2 for it's spot. But I like the feel in hand of the concave lower on the swan 2 more than the straight-angled plus uber-micro bead profile on the deputy.

I had a orange River Pro 175g, Yellow Pine 179g, and Yellow Deputy 173g.

My wife favored her blue 171g River Pro over the rest. She had some great throws with it. She also bags a regular river.

I really hope they put out the Pine in TP quick. I wish the challenge disc was in TP from the get go. I don't mind VIP, but I was looking forward to a TP Pine.
seems safe to assume the Pine is a step or two more stable than a Warship, but are we talking eMac truth or Verdict range? also I'm a fan of the fairway 'lite' rim shape of the verdict and Warship. am I in luck here with the Pine?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The one closest to me announced that they ran out of Pines and are running a poll to see what existing disc they should use lol

seems safe to assume the Pine is a step or two more stable than a Warship, but are we talking eMac truth or Verdict range? also I'm a fan of the fairway 'lite' rim shape of the verdict and Warship. am I in luck here with the Pine?

I've not thrown them. By the numbers it should be a step back from the Bard. Personally it throws like a mildly glideyer Buzzz OS for me. Most of my mids have been discraft and Innova until I got the sling, Bard, and now the pine.

Attachments

• IMG_20170606_161850.jpg
    IMG_20170606_161850.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 44
that looks like a winner for me, and very similar to the Warship profile. thanks for the photo... though now I know I might like all three of this year's offerings.

Oh yeah, that looks pretty good to me. I'll be very interested to see how the Pine beats in.

I liked the river pro, but I'm not sure I'll end up using it much. It's found at least a temporary spot in the bag until I fully hash that out. Most shots I would consider throwing it on, I would reach for something like the pine. It's the first speed 7 driver I've thrown more than a few times though. I generally jump from mid to something like a convict/longbowman/felon. That could just be my terrible game though.

I think I would LOVE something like a river uber-pro that's around 7-4-0-4

I think I would LOVE something like a river uber-pro that's around 7-4-0-4

XXX or Trident is what you're looking for then. The XXX is the disc I use between a harp/recycled mace and a felon. Doesn't typically get a lot of throws in any given round but it does fit a utility need.

Latest posts