• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Vibram Open

#slowthesport

Spotted this guy holding the lead card sign multiple times during the live broadcast. This is the guy they got to hold the sign for the LEAD CARD at a DGPT event? :gross:

#slowthesport

attachment.php

edit: picture is from Ricky's interview after the win.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,739
Last edited:
forehand in the rain . . .

I throw a lot of forehands and often will switch to backhand on a drive I'll typically throw forehand if it's raining. Seems like Wysocki did this but others didn't.

Should you switch to backhands in the rain?

Spotted this guy holding the lead card sign multiple times during the live broadcast. This is the guy they got to hold the sign for the LEAD CARD at a DGPT event? :gross:

#slowthesport

attachment.php

You mean someone nearly caught on fire during all that rain? First time I've seen photo evidence of spontaneous human combustion.

Oh Em Gee

#slowthesport

attachment.php

Oh man, how could they have overlooked that? What a major setback, some volunteer using an e-cig on YouTube in front of 1200 viewers.... this is clearly stunting the growth :doh:

Oh man, how could they have overlooked that? What a major setback, some volunteer using an e-cig on YouTube in front of 1200 viewers.... this is clearly stunting the growth :doh:

It is a problem if any of those 1200 are people planning to put money into the sport. Looks unprofessional and feeds stereotypes about disc golfers.

It is a problem if any of those 1200 are people planning to put money into the sport. Looks unprofessional and feeds stereotypes about disc golfers.

Good point, never thought about it that way. Thank goodness he wasn't smoking a cigarette.

Val - Game plan

Yikes Valarie, surrenders a 6 stroke lead to Paige in the final round. That's a tough way to go down - I was really pulling for her to get a big win here. Played consistent smart golf the first three rounds, somehow got away from her gameplan :\
I thought Val tried to stick to her "don't make mistakes" game plan yesterday but those fairways are so tree-lined that trying to play it safe was easier said than done. And, she made a lot of good throws in rnds 1-3 but I also remember her missing the fairway several times and finding a "local route". Not sure that happened once yesterday. The weather made it harder to play it safe, too. That wind, rain, footing and wet discs made controlled safe tee offs no easier than just reaching back and going for it.

Here are the performance tracks for the DGPT- Vibram Open. The starting position at the left is the expected final score for each player based on their rating. As each hole is played, the expected score is replaced with the actual score (from left to right). Anytime the line goes up, they played better than their rating, and down means worse. The last column shows the final scores.

The costliest single hole was Hole 8 in round 1 for Simon. His 5 was 2.29 throws more than expected for him on that hole.

The best single hole performance was Cale's ace on hole 4 in round 1, which saved him 1.67 expected throws.

The longest streak was by Grady Shue who beat his expected score on 13 holes in a row: from hole 16 in round 1 to hole 10 in round 2.
attachment.php

Attachments

• VOMPOPT.jpg
    VOMPOPT.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 420
Steve

What's your point here. To bore with stats.

Keep the hat on. The tuff of hair above your shortening brow is bad for business.

The law of averages not a terribly difficult concept.

lol wtf is his deal?

is Dr. Smooth also his name on FarmersOnly.com

hey baby get on my tractor, oh let me help you it seems you have an ear of corn in your pants...

ummm...

Last edited:
Steve

What's your point here. To bore with stats.

Keep the hat on. The tuff of hair above your shortening brow is bad for business.

The law of averages not a terribly difficult concept.

Umm.. the law of averages is also fake. I don't follow you?

I could have said that in a less hateful way.

My apologies, sometimes I speak before I think.

I am assuming that the majority of the forum posters are satisfied with the baskets used at the Vibram open this past weekend. What were they, Mach X's? I don't follow that so much. I look back at the Ledgestone thread and it was, what, 50 some-odd pages, and a lot of it was in reference to the baskets. Just curious about the takeaway from this weekend I suppose.

To go along with the Vibram Open baskets, I do not recall too much negativity towards the baskets in Pittsburgh either. Those were DD baskets, right? Perhaps Veteran baskets? Again, my knowledge on baskets is super limited.

As for the stats being done, keep it up. I don't fully understand all of it, but it is a fun change of pace, so thank you for that.

I am assuming that the majority of the forum posters are satisfied with the baskets used at the Vibram open this past weekend. What were they, Mach X's? I don't follow that so much. I look back at the Ledgestone thread and it was, what, 50 some-odd pages, and a lot of it was in reference to the baskets. Just curious about the takeaway from this weekend I suppose.

To go along with the Vibram Open baskets, I do not recall too much negativity towards the baskets in Pittsburgh either. Those were DD baskets, right? Perhaps Veteran baskets? Again, my knowledge on baskets is super limited.

As for the stats being done, keep it up. I don't fully understand all of it, but it is a fun change of pace, so thank you for that.

The Vibram baskets were Mach X's, so you were right there.

The Pittsburgh baskets were actually Chainstars, and while there wasn't a lot of talk on the forums, there were some gripes and groans from pros on every level at the venue.

I throw a lot of forehands and often will switch to backhand on a drive I'll typically throw forehand if it's raining. Seems like Wysocki did this but others didn't.

Should you switch to backhands in the rain?

As someone who comes from ultimate I can tell you that it would seem that forehands break down more quickly in wet conditions. If we played an ultimate tourney in the rain we would force forehand on every point. Disc golf would not seem to be as extreme as ultimate in that regard because in ultimate its more of a touch shot, still the release point is smaller and touchier on a forehand than a backhand and apt to break down easier. That being said I was at maple hill on Sunday and saw a ton of forehands thrown on the top two cards. But I can tell you that in the wet round I played before spectating at the pyramids I did not throw any.

It was really wet damp out there on Sunday. My hands where wet for an hour after I left the tournament. Towels where not enough that day. Needed chalk/rosin bags.

I personally dislike Mach Xs, but I'd never complain about having to play on them. They catch well enough (as do Chainstars) as long as you don't putt in a way that accentuates their weak points.

From what I understand, the Chainstars at Ledgestone weren't the same Chainstars that exist on most courses, including the one in Pittsburgh. The Ledgestone Chainstars were portables with a lighter weight chain than is usually used. Given that, they were "worse" than usual and derived even more complaints than usual.