• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MPO Player Persona Archetypes

Tomphoolery

Par Member
This was born in the Brodie Smith thread when I called him a Chad. I explained that being a Chad is not inherently a bad thing, and that Chads can be good people. I went on to explain that disc golfers generally fit into one of three archetypes: the Chad, the Dork, and the Hippie.

Chads - your quintessential "jock". These guys are highly competitive and focused on winning above all else. While the moniker "chad" may have negative connotations to some people, we all have a Chad in our life that we love dearly. Some Chads tend to be meatheads, but others can be witty and personable. Imagine the Chads to be Team GloboGym if we were in the movie Dodgeball.

Dorks - the Average Joes in Dodgeball. Regular, every day people who love disc golf. The Dorks tend to be more intellectual than the Chads and may lean on their intellectual understanding of the game more than their physical prowess. Dorks are generally chill people and will generally be more personable than the Chads, who are laser focused on their game. While the Dorks are dedicated to their craft, they are there to have fun over everything else.

Hippies - this third category was not in the movie Dodgeball, because they won't abide this violence, man. Hippies are in tune with the "vibe" of the game and generally take a deeply philosophical approach to their game. Hippies are often seen hugging the basket after they win a tournament, or perhaps hugging a tree to apologize after hitting it with their disc. Hippies are generally but not always stoners and music fans, and more so than the other two groups tend to be road warriors who have no problem living out of their vans for extended periods of time. Above all else, the hippies are there for the adventure.

There are also players who are hybrids, who exhibit characteristics of two of these groups. Hybrid players will generally gravitate towards one archetype that they identify with more closely but can move between groups fluidly and could represent either one in a team-based round.

Chads
Brodie Smith - Chads team captain
Paul McBeth
Kevin Jones
Emerson Keith
Garret Gurthie
Drew Gibson

Dorks
Nate Sexton- Dorks team captain
Calvin Heimburg
Simon Lizotte
Thomas Gilbert
Eric Oakley
Will Schusterick

Hippies
James Conrad - Hippies team captain
Philo Brathwaite
Chris Clemons
Gregg Barsby
Nate Perkins
Michael Johansen

Hybrids - the first archetype listed indicates their primary archetype
Ricky Wysocki - chad-dork
Paul Ulibarri - chad-dork
Chris Dickerson - dork-chad
Eagle McMahan - hippie-dork
Nikko Locastro - hippie-chad

There is also a secondary classification of white trash, which can be applied to any of the archetypes. For example, Josh Anthon, who is a white trash Chad.

In my calculations, I have concluded that there is exactly one player who doesn't fit cleanly into any category but has traits of all three and therefore truly embodies the spirit of disc golf: Mr. Jeremy Koling.

I'd love to hear what people think about these categorizations and keep adding players to the list. I stuck with contemporary players who I have had the opportunity to watch as their careers develop, so if anyone wants to add classic players go for it. I'm basing my pigeonholing on their on-course demeanor as well as any other public media appearances they have made such as social media or podcast appearances.

This is all fun and games. Whether you're a chad, a dork, or a hippie, take a minute to laugh at yourself, then laugh at someone else for a minute.

5c1c24d839a87e87add564d38b9dac68.jpg

I guess most find this fun and all. I just find it kind of weird. I am a football fan, but don't spend much time posting about the fashion sense of Tom Brady. When I occasionally watch pro disc golf, I see guys that play better than I do....not much more. Thinking about it, I spend WAY more time judging the course than I do the personalities of people I don't know.

This all started, with what most adults would consider a bad taste decision, of labeling Brodie and anonymously posting it. With that being in bad taste and creating hard feelings, we thought an entire thread in the same bad taste would be fun?

Shrug....sorry for not getting it and for being a wet blanket.

I guess most find this fun and all. I just find it kind of weird. I am a football fan, but don't spend much time posting about the fashion sense of Tom Brady. When I occasionally watch pro disc golf, I see guys that play better than I do....not much more. Thinking about it, I spend WAY more time judging the course than I do the personalities of people I don't know.

This all started, with what most adults would consider a bad taste decision, of labeling Brodie and anonymously posting it. With that being in bad taste and creating hard feelings, we thought an entire thread in the same bad taste would be fun?

I don't think most will find this fun, or interesting.

My name is Tom Yum #150169. You can send this thread to Brodie and tell him to take it up with me if he has a problem with me calling him a Chad.

It's a dumb, goofy post that I cooked up last night while stoned. People laughed at it in the Brodie thread so I thought some others might think it's funny. If this isn't the content you want to see on this website then stop bumping the thread.

I'm a PDGA fan and in addition to appreciating their game appreciate some of these guys' personalities, which they have intentionally promoted through outlets like social media, Jomez, and Central Coast, among others. They make money on people liking their personalities, so if they're putting it out there then it's fair game to poke fun. Nate Sexton is a great disc golfer, but I love him because he's Nate.

Let's do Pokémon types instead, that would be more fun lol.

Rock > Scissors > Paper > Rock
Grass > Water > Fire > Grass

How's the dorks, Chads, hippies measure up to each other?

Yeah. This is weird and it seems like haircut carries a lot of weight.

Latest posts