• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Designer Insider

superberry

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I recently had a discussion regarding course designs I've done, and some behind the scenes feedback and gripes others have heard. The discussion really centered around preferences, but negative feedback really does make an impact on me. I have reasons for almost every decision I've made, so my responses are easy to spit out. But they're still based on some assumption, preference, or other criteria which may or may not be easily defendable or debatable. At the least, these reasons are unknown to general players and thus their feedback seems overly negative at times. Because of this, I have begun providing hole by hole designer notes for all designs I complete to the property owners. This helps summarize the thought process and decisions made, making it easier to defend, rebut, or reply to feedback received. I also think it's just human nature. When I receive positive feedback it often does not lead to thought provoking discussion like negative feedback does.

So back on track, before I post the novel of my "summary" of these discussions, I'd like to know what the other designers out there think of themselves, what they think of feedback they receive, and even how they've evolved as designers. What do you designers think of your designs and the feedback you get?

I do take it personal when people attack me and not the design. However, I know everyone has their own opinions and am fine without 100% agreement that holes I've laid out are the "best". Course design is both a skill and an art, and preferences are subjective. I mostly tend to design courses that feature a variety of holes, i.e. holes in which the tee shots require many specific flights off the tee, and then I ensure to provide balanced tee shots that encompass varying degrees of length, width, curvature, open versus wooded airways, and elevation. These collection of holes guarantee that players will be forced out of their comfort zones at some point because I strive for so much unique use of the land and variety of tee shot selection. I think if the same naysayers would walk the course with me and listen to the enthusiasm in the explanation of my design intent, they'd see things different. But then again some people perpetually complain, and also don't like to be challenged or strive to become better. I take these gripes with a grain of salt, but they also fuel me. I like to hear that a design I have created frustrates players. This is because I have not designed a hole where I cannot execute a successful tee-shot, and the frustration is simply the result of being unable to overcome the challenge. Sometimes that challenge is mental, sometimes it is a physical challenge, and physical challenges may actually be every present due to skill based tee design concepts that I utilize. Some holes are designed with a long tee (Blue, Black, or Gold level) such that an amateur or lesser skilled player may never be able to surmount the obstacle presented until additional skills are learned and mastered. I am very much an advocate of risk versus reward, but maybe not in the traditional sense. My reward is that you can navigate the 'airway' of the holes if you've risked throwing a variety of tee shots you may not have been comfortable with and may have had to work on. I also love risky greens. While making a straight ahead 40-50' flat putt is indeed a skill, I seriously doubt even the top players would run at the chains if a water hazard or hill was behind the basket. A mental putting game is a huge input into my designs. My skill level is nowhere near that of top level pros, but I pride myself on accuracy and a calm mental game. I pride myself not on being the best designer (I would hardly say so), but on accomplishing a very specific goal on almost every hole due to very unique and often never before seen details. In no way do I strive to design a monster course that will challenge all the pros who can throw 500'+ and make 9 of 10 putts from over 30' away. I design courses to appeal to players of varying skill levels, both visually and mentally. I actually don't even look at course design from an entire course perspective. I lay out each individual hole at a time and try to do something unique, different, an balanced. Then I move to the next hole from there based on features of the land, trying to maximize unique and majestic areas of the property. The hard part is working in all the neat holes I want to do into a logically flowing design. One issue I do admit to as a flaw that I tend to face is that my designs can get crowded in some areas, but I still try to minimize any overlap 90% of the time. I will never cross fairways and will never play arrange parallel fairways without a natural obstacle in between. The cramped designs may be an intended consequence of wanting to utilize the best terrain to its fullest, or they are often the simple result of having to design within the restrictions of a given piece of property. Good throws do not lead to cramping in my designs. Bad throws might, it depends on how bad but then again, you can't design to accommodate the 10% of horribly bad throws! In earlier designs, I have not typically incorporated longer par 4 or more holes and given the right property, but I have attempted to retrofit some into older designs. Some of these have yielded amazing holes, while some have introduced that dreaded cramping I mentioned due to squeezing in another tee 100-250' away but within the existing framework of the course. My latest designs are attempting to incorporate longer holes and more par 4 or strategic placement and risk/reward holes but it is of course dependent on the skill level of the player and features of the land. Let's say primarily I design for Blue level players and shoot for an SSA of around 58 on a 18 hole course. I also think it is vital to have shorter red tees so that lesser skilled players are able to enjoy the designs without as much frustration.

So, what much of the discussion boiled down to is the misinterpretation of my design intent. At the basic level, it is NOT to appease everyone, but to challenge everyone. I prefer to not have multiple options on so many holes. With multiple options, weaker players will simply throw what they are comfortable with. I want players to become more rounded and try new and creative ways to navigate a hole, even if it includes laying up. Where this comes mostly into play is on wooded holes where only occasionally do I throw in multiple routes if the terrain yields something neat. In my designs, you are going to have to throw 6 different tee shots in the woods. They would be…
1) Long and Straight
2) Long and finishing Left
3) Long and finishing Right
4) Short and Straight
5) Short and finishing Left
6) Short and finishing Right
If you were to add elevation to the mix, you can see how it would mix up the combinations with these same variations on 'Uphill' and 'Downhill' holes. The same variation applies with open holes, but open holes don't force too many specific tee shots, so I try and incorporate length and OB into that mix so that where your drive finishes will matter. So, just being given a patch of woods, I will churn out 6 different holes for you, if there is a field surrounding those woods then you can add 6 more different holes that border or play into/out of the woods. Another key factor missed in the discussion is that my designs focus on minimalist construction methods. It has been my entire experience that the courses are installed and created using whatever makeshift set of tools a small group of local voluteers have had access to. So, major clearing of 2-3 distinct 20-30' wide 300' long fairways wasn't less than a daunting task. No heavy equipment, no machinery, no power augers, at times no chainsaws, and in the early days no motorized vehicles [Winter Park holes 1-18 were created without a chainsaw, all holes hand dug, no ATV for hauling, etc. Those baskets and 100# of concrete were carried by hand up the hills!]

Well-rounded players highly enjoy my designs. Players who are constantly trying to execute a specific throw and overcome a challenge will love my designs. At Winter Park for example, on so many holes out there, I've seen player after player "empty their bags" on particular holes (more than half), trying to get that "just right" flight and see something amazing (that they think they can do, and that the hole design does allow for. While most of my hole designs will allow for those perfect and near perfect throws to yield an ace, they also abide by the bell curve in which 70% will encounter some obstacle or another and need some recovery. But remember that the bell curve also has a tail end in which the percentage of bad throws really get punished. However, because I prefer wooded courses and wooded hole designs (with 'specific' fairways as I mentioned above), on more occasions than you may like, your "near perfect" throw my clip a tree and enter a death spiral into the rough woods. In my mind, despite the fact that you thought it was a near perfect throw, it obviously wasn't. If you had let go a millisecond early, or with a half degree change in angle of release, or chosen a different disc, or thrown with more or less speed – the tree would not have been it. Here is my point – there are SO many variables in disc golf, embrace them, learn them, and conquer the challenges of hole design my mastering these variable! Don't get upset, get better, learn something new, try something different, become well balanced, and HAVE FUN!

I gotta scoot so I can't read through this now, but some negative feedback is that you have no white space in your post....makes it very hard to read. But I do look forward to reading it.....your design is my number 1 course played.

Mr. Berry,

Good post.
That you "take things personally" means to me that you are proud of your work, it's important to you, and you'd like others to "understand" your point of view / rationale behind your design decisions. Nothing wrong with that.
It's kind of the neat thing about dgc design - they CAN vary quite a bit...and none are really 'wrong', just 'wrong' for some people (according to those people).
And it's cool that you've taken the time to 'show others' what you're intending / doing - a lot of other designers wouldn't take that time.
In summary, do your own thing; it will be appreciated.

Karl

I think if you really care about what you are doing, you can't help but take negative feedback personally. It's not about ego though...that's a common misperception. Rather, it's frustration related to people only seeing/understanding the tip of the iceberg. Or looking at a design from the window of their specific skill sets. Their specific likes/strengths (i.e. big arms without much else to their games HATING shorter, tight/technical holes).

Example #1. I (re)designed my baby over the course of six years. Six years of pulling weeds, trimming/cutting trees, planting dozens of trees, heck...building a man-made peninsula tee using the equivalent of 4-5 large dump truck loads of field stone off area farmland!

It meets and exceeds nearly all of my goals for the project. I wish it averaged another 20-25 feet/hole (only 261/hole). But I squeezed every foot I could out of the design while ensuring safety and challenge (12 holes adjacent to water), complete with lots of tight hyzer/straight/anhyzer tunnels and alleys to run off the tee.

The course opens, and 80% of the feedback is positive! However, two guys from about an hour away come to play the course...then HAMMER it on their written reviews. "It's too hard! WAY too scary for beginners!" Mind you, the course averages 261/hole, and as an INT (928 rating), I've gotten to -12 on 18 holes off the Ams/Shorts. :( But since two people don't have much of a technical game? Don't have a reliable anhyzer or alley/tunnel shot off the tee? The course gets a reputation for being "too hard."

Example #2. A town not too far from me calls me up and wants me to walk two pieces of land for a potential course. First piece of land is 24-25 acres, hilly, wooded, beautiful. I tell them we could easily get them a great 18-hole course if they're willing to put in a couple years of work on getting the land ready via making it safe for players, safe/easier to maintain (mow/trim), carving out fairways in wooded areas, etc. The second piece of land is a small municipal park. With a crow-bar, you can squeeze nine holes in there that average MAYBE 245/hole in length...without introducing a dozen various safety issues, at least. And it can be open in a couple of months.

Guess which option the town chooses? You already know. :) So I do the very-best I can with a very small piece of property. Safety first (for players and surrounding park users and land owners), challenge second. So when the course opens, what do people say about it? "Who designed this pitch-and-putt? It's WAAAAAY too short/easy!" As though my preference (as a designer) wouldn't have been to develop those 24-25 acres with a nice mix of 250-275 foot holes, 350-375 foot holes, and 450-475+ foot holes...and some of the prettiest views within a half-hour's drive in any direction.

So what's a designer to do? Just keep "honing our craft," keep researching (and learning from) other designers' work playing as many different courses as one can, and be true to ourselves and what we think/know is right. With the tie always, ALWAYS going to safety. Since nothing will give our sport a bad rap faster than injuries, property damage, or (heaven forbid) deaths due to unsafe designs.

In your #2 example, I have been trying to take the moral high road, not to mention that I am simply running out of available time. When approached to consult on a given piece of property, I offer my brutal honest and simply say "Do not build a course here..."

I've actually bid on a design job about 6 hours from where I live, and being a former ball golf course and the city being (currently) unwilling to punch into and out of the surrounding woods on the property, I am contemplating rescinding my bid. Despite the chance for a quick (but not necessarily easy) dollar, I don't want my name associated with a lackluster course. I actually bid the complete design, procure, and construct portions, so handling the clearing in the woods would be on me not them. Once clarifying the potential property use, I may have to pull my bid and focus on the courses near me that I want to get done (for free). Of course, the course design and construction business is a side job, so I can afford to be a snob.

Thanks for the post. Definitely interesting to get some insight into the design philosophy of one who has put together a couple of superior courses.

Can't wait to get up to the UP in August to check out the new Escanaba and (hopefully) Marquette courses.

I've never designed a course, but I helped install a local course that a talented course designer designed for my club. I won't go into too many details, but I was surprised at how much of the negative feedback was either premature or based on false assumptions. As the layout has matured over the past couple of years, I have personally witnessed the feedback about the course, both on this website and in person, evolve from amazingly harsh and misinformed criticism to almost exclusively enthusiastic praise. I suspect the initial negativity had a variety of causes, but until I personally witnessed the largely undeserved initial response to the design, I would not have believed it. It opened my eyes to what must be a common experience for course designers. I hope you can find reassurance in the knowledge that opinions can change for the better as a course matures.

I believe that "design is design". Whether you are designing a disc golf course, a toy or game, a business process, a tool, software, a menu, etc.....if you do not have clear objectives on what your design is going to accomplish for whom.....you will fail.

For a disc golf course, you need to define clearly who it is you are designing for and what experience you want those players to have.

If you have followed this thought process throughout the entire inception, design and building phases, you will easily be able to explain and defend your decisions.....including any disappointment you yourself had in not being able to deliver some aspects you really hoped for (due to limitations and/or trade-offs).

Producing a good design also involves a lot of testing. If a designer thinks he can produce a design that will be error/flaw-free without testing......either his design is extremely simple, or he is deluded. That said, there is a lot to be said for experience.....but everybody needs to start off somewhere.

As an engineer by degree (EE) who has done product design, and then switched more to the business side (business process development including software/database design), I would have given up long ago if it were not for a thoughtful and intentional/methodical approach to planning and implementing (testing, training, rollout too).

The potential for failure at the outset can seem overwhelming, and the criticism during and after can be brutal.....but it goes away really quickly if you can give a reasonable and thoughtful response for why the design is what it is.

Last edited:
One aspect of disc golf courses is that the casual critics can see all the choices you didn't make. Why didn't you put a basket here? Why didn't you use that area for a fairway? They don't know what they don't know, though.

That, with the basic incivility of the internet, is bound to produce a few off-the-mark criticisms.

One aspect of disc golf courses is that the casual critics can see all the choices you didn't make. Why didn't you put a basket here? Why didn't you use that area for a fairway? They don't know what they don't know, though.

This is where a lot of the bad criticism came from at my home course. It's a lot easier to see what the designer didn't do after the course is in than to come up with your own design from the start. On a good piece of land, there are always holes you could have laid out but didn't, and there could be a variety of reasons why you didn't, including that the run of 3 or 4 good imaginary holes you "see" out there wouldn't have fit into the flow of the rest of the course.

That being said, there is usually room for improvement over time once a course is laid out, and insightful constructive criticism is always helpful. What I don't like to see is the all-too-common knee-jerk judgment of a new course or a new layout the first time someone has played a course, when the installation is barely more than roughed in. This is the reason that I avoid reviewing a course here at dgcr until I've played it several times. For example, I haven't reviewed Cliff Stevens in Clearwater, FL, after only playing a round and a half one afternoon in December, because I don't think that's enough time at it to form an opinion of it worth sharing with the internet.

Last edited:

This is where a lot of the bad criticism came from at my home course. It's a lot easier to see what the designer didn't do after the course is in than to come up with your own design from the start.

This thought process you both bring up intrigues me. It is maybe more "Critic Insider" that the OP topic, but I think if the designer understands his critics that can be helpful. .....and I do not understand this at all. In my mind it makes sense to judge/critique what is there....but it makes no sense to judge/critique what isn't there (or what maybe could be there).

Can you guys help me understand this more? Maybe the best way would be to provide a list of quotable quotes you have heard. Is this only stuff you hear as a designer when talking to people or does it show up too in DGCR reviews (I do not read reviews too closely....usually just skim them for the main points being made)?

This is the reason that I avoid reviewing a course here at dgcr until I've played it several times. For example, I haven't reviewed Cliff Stevens in Clearwater, FL, after only playing a round and a half one afternoon in December, because I don't think that's enough time at it to form an opinion of it worth sharing with the internet.

Understanding this might be helpful too. What is it you learn about a course in the 3rd-5th rounds that you were not able to learn during your 1st round?

I've only got one course to take blame for design on, and only a share of that. I don't think the hard feeling comes from constructive criticism, but from critics who go online and harshly criticize features of a course without trying to understand why they were done---what was the designer's intent, what were his constraints, how does the hole fit into the flow or balance of holes on the course, etc.

Mr. Berry

Great post. This is the biggest problem with this site in general. Until some of the "reviewers" actually go through the ENTIRE process of getting a course in.......(ie all the red tape and future projects, last second budget cuts, boundaries of land available changed yada yada yada). FWIW, I would just take the negative feedback with a grain of salt. I am a firm believer that if you took 10 different course designers and gave them the same piece of land to work with.......you would have 10 different designs, some similarities here and there, but for the most part different. I think as long as you follow the basic parameters of design and use as much of the land available as possible you probably won't have horribly negative feedback.

Until there is some sort of "criteria" or "tests" for a reviewer to take, I wouldn't worry too much about the uneducated naysayers. Through time as/if the sport grows and people take it more seriously, more people will understand what makes a course "good or bad"......that may take a long time though.

I think the feature where the designer can reply to reviews is a good idea.......Makes it much easier to explain why a plinko fairway ended up that way, or why you have a basket 20 ft from a playground that wasn't there when the course was put in......yada yada yada you get the point

Dave, I make the 'mistake' of commenting on "what could have been", in quite a few of my reviews. It's not a personal attack against the course or the design, but since my reviews do offer my realm of preferences and subjectivity, I feel it necessary to comment that if "that section of woods over there were utilized", or "the creek should be brought into play OB more often", then my rating of the course would have been higher. I completely understand the limitations of design with respect to land use and other politics. However, sometimes the comments regarding what could have been are because I completely feel the course may have been laid out by an inexperienced designer who may take and run with these new ideas, or that a parks department crew who doesn't even play disc golf may have thrown the course together.

What really spurred this entire conversation I had, and kept me stewing about it for a while afterward, was a comment I heard second hand. Something completely absurd surfaced and it was thrown out that "an AM2 can't design a good course". Personally I think PDGA tournament play has ABSOLUTELY zero to do with course design, and I was now in the attack mode based on the comment. I do admit that knowing the rules, being involved in higher level design discussions, understanding (and executing) player skills at higher levels, and having vast familiarity with playing the sport at multiple courses does indeed help foster better inputs into a design. But the designer still needs creative manipulation of these inputs and the land given to work with. What divisions I choose to play, what tournaments I actually bring myself to play (because I LOATHE sanctioned events), and how I actually finish has no bearing on my design abilities. So, while that got me stewing, I decided to outline some of the inside views I have, and expand on the disc golf designer biography I have also thrown together.

I'm still curious what other designers use and some basic or specific inputs into their own designs, and how they use their inputs to debate the feedback, and especially combat the negative feedback or maybe even keep it from surfacing.

It's not like I am whining about a low rating of any course I've designed. When someone rates a course low on this site, I typically send a PM and ask for some feedback. I understand and accept most of it.

I'm talking about the unthoughtful "this hole is lame", or "I hate that tree", etc etc etc. Then roll it all together with a little bit of "why'd you do THAT, I would have done THIS". While this feedback is so useless and meaningless, it still gets under my skin.

I'd take it with a shakerful of salt.

I think there's a distinction between not liking a tree or hole or course or style of course, and saying the desginer should have done it differently. The first is from the player's point of view, and everyone has different tastes. I doubt it even occurs to some reviewers that the designer may read what they wrote. If I say, "Fontana Village is a very good course but hole #1 is lame", I'm passing that info on to potential future visitors. I'm not blaming the designer---he may have had no better choice---but stating an opinion that I think it's a lame hole.

Now, if someone says an MA2 shouldn't design a course, I'd shrug it off as ignorance. I can think of plenty of great courses whose designers aren't Top Pros.

Mr. Berry

Great post. This is the biggest problem with this site in general. Until some of the "reviewers" actually go through the ENTIRE process of getting a course in.......(ie all the red tape and future projects, last second budget cuts, boundaries of land available changed yada yada yada). FWIW, I would just take the negative feedback with a grain of salt. I am a firm believer that if you took 10 different course designers and gave them the same piece of land to work with.......you would have 10 different designs, some similarities here and there, but for the most part different. I think as long as you follow the basic parameters of design and use as much of the land available as possible you probably won't have horribly negative feedback.

Until there is some sort of "criteria" or "tests" for a reviewer to take, I wouldn't worry too much about the uneducated naysayers. Through time as/if the sport grows and people take it more seriously, more people will understand what makes a course "good or bad"......that may take a long time though.

I think the feature where the designer can reply to reviews is a good idea.......Makes it much easier to explain why a plinko fairway ended up that way, or why you have a basket 20 ft from a playground that wasn't there when the course was put in......yada yada yada you get the point

Those are good points if you want a thorough review of the design process of a given course, but I don't think any of that is necessary for what this site's real purpose is. The reviews and ratings are primarily there to find the courses that are most enjoyable to play. Knowing that a course was difficult to install and that the city put a lot of restrictions on the designer doesn't change my rating at all. It may change my view on how well the designer used what was available on the property, but I'm reviewing and rating only what's actually there to play not what could have been.

In regards to the AM2 comment:

While the comment may be made in ignorance, it does have some base: because there are certainly a lot of Am 2s that I would recommend not design a course.

A designer should thoroughly know what a disc can do. They should know what a good hyser flip looks like and can acheive; or a roller, overhand, backhand, anny, forehand, skip-shot, etc.

That doesn't mean they can execute all of those shots in tournament rounds at the highest levels, but it does mean they probably shouldn't be a new player who has a great firebird-forehand but nothing else.

That said, an Am2, if seasoned and thoughtful and well-versed, can make the best course in the world. Even better than one that Ken Climo might make.
I liken this to how great basketball coaches are often not the best players, but the best students of the game.

Last edited:
In regards to the AM2 comment:

While the comment may be made in ignorance, it does have some base: because there are certainly a lot of Am 2s that I would recommend not design a course.

A designer should thoroughly know what a disc can do. They should know what a good hyser flip looks like and can acheive; or a roller, overhand, backhand, anny, forehand, skip-shot, etc.

That doesn't mean they can execute all of those shots in tournament rounds at the highest levels, but it does mean they probably shouldn't be a new player who has a great firebird-forehand but nothing else.

That said, an Am2, if seasoned and thoughtful and well-versed, can make the best course in the world. Even better than one that Ken Climo might make.
I liken this to how great basketball coaches are often not the best players, but the best students of the game.

Too add to this I'd pose a question: Would you or Have you designed a hole that required a shot you couldn't pull off? (other than just distance)

Yes I would design a hole with a shot I couldnt pull off. I do not believe I have though because I can't think of a shot I cannot pull off (not saying that concededly).

Mash, you're getting at what I'm asking other designers about. How do they feel about lower quality holes or courses they've designed, as well as difficult ones that have received negative feedback. I wholly admit that if a course sucks relative to others I've played, it is going to rate low, and it isn't a fault of the designer necessarily, but I also wouldn't take the reasons why into consideration of my rating.