• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA World Championships

So Paige P cleaned up after that 3putting on 10 ( will this cost her the title? ) and is in range of Paige B . . .lots of nerves

I don't get this.
He didn't take a spot from anyone.

Do we tell less skilled Olympic athletes from tiny countries that they can't participate because they clearly won't be competitive? Do we force 0-16 NFL teams to forfeit because their players are less skilled?

If you can't fill a field with 1000 rated players, and there is room for Lloyd on the course, then why would you take that experience away from him? He's not on film showcasing low level golf. Maybe this is a pretty big highlight for him and an experience he'll treasure for a long time, and it comes at ZERO detriment to anyone or anything.

Wonder if he'll get a movie like Eddie the Eagle or the Jamaican bobsled team?

There is too much golf left on the Men's side to speculate much and my head is still reeling from the OB shootout that was the Women's round. Elaine King jumped a bunch of spots up into the finals, that was cool to see.

Really an insane amount of OB in that FPO round . .is that really good for the sport?

Another Finnish player, Ilkka Niemi, with a ace on hole 14. Seppo Paju next?

Really an insane amount of OB in that FPO round . .is that really good for the sport?
On hole 7, the FPO field averaged one penalty per player and many of them included a distance penalty based on where they went out. It's like standing on the tee lying 1 already. 80% averaged one penalty on hole 18.

The four top FPO players hade 22 OB in R3 total . .NOT fun to watch
I think an important question that the sport in general hasn't yet answered is should holes for tournament play be designed more to measure skill or to produce more random shot outcomes for spectator entertainment value and movement on the leaderboard?

Silver Latt played a solid round today. Good to see some Europeans performing well. Speaking of Europeans, we need to get Henna and Eveliina over to next year's Worlds. I think they could have done really well at Smuggs.

Silver Latt played a solid round today. Good to see some Europeans performing well. Speaking of Europeans, we need to get Henna and Eveliina over to next year's Worlds. I think they could have done really well at Smuggs.

I heard somewhere that one reason they are not playing at Worlds is that they are both currently finishing their high school exams. On the other hand, Worlds haven't been super-popular for other Finnish players either, USDGC seems to gather more interest for some reason (last year 14 Finns in USDGC, none at Worlds).

While FPO is surprising, the MPO lead card is crazytown. Who didn't expect some mix of McBeth, Wysocki, McMahon, Conrad, Jones, Johansen, Sexton, Dickerson?

On hole 7, the FPO field averaged one penalty per player and many of them included a distance penalty based on where they went out. It's like standing on the tee lying 1 already. 80% averaged one penalty on hole 18.
Was that the hole both Hokum and Tattar took three OB strokes on? That was a cringe-worthy hole. There wasn't really any wind, they were just scattering shots all over the place. The two OB tee shots seemed normal, the five OB shots in the field just looked bad. It's the top FPO card at World's, and they took seven OB strokes on a dopey-looking open hole. It really made you wonder what was going on. Bjerkaas was the only player on the card that played the hole well, but then she didn't run the putt. Everything about that hole looked bad.

I actually Think it would be a bigger surprice if Paige P, Cat or Hokom didn´t not win FPO than it would be if Paul. Ricky or Eagle didn´t win MPO

I think an important question that the sport in general hasn't yet answered is should holes for tournament play be designed more to measure skill or to produce more random shot outcomes for spectator entertainment value and movement on the leaderboard?
There was no spectator value for me watching 27 OB strokes on that top Women's card. I felt bad for them, like they were deliberately placed on a course that would be over their skill level and make them look like rag-tag rec league players. I don't even remember the good shots they showed, it was an avalanche of O.B. Again, no real wind that seemed to explain it. The course is just not designed to showcase the skills they have. It was ugly.