• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA World Championships

So...the key for the FPO win is....."to simply throw the disc frickin straight!!!" Seriously...seems like most of the FPO were throwing stable to overstable discs resulting in wide horizontal sweeps, hard fades at the end, flair skips, etc, etc. Paige B on the other hand..."hmm...looks like a tough hole...guess I'll just throw a slower speed disc, around 320ft or so....straight... and take a par and move on...what?...I'm in the circle, might as well go for a bird while I'm here." Seriously... that was by far the most smartest, impressive FPO win I've ever seen. Very Val like, but with a better overall technical skill set. Plus...c'mon...you can't help but like her, she seems very friendly, nice, and that emotion displayed after the win..wow...we had a chance to be up close and actually "listen" to all that emotion being released. I almost felt like they should have turned the mic off, but I'm glad they didn't, that was great to hear. :) I'm sure she made a lot of new fans today. :clap:

I wonder if this is a reflection of what happened on Saturday? The wind was pushing them all over the place with a lot of OB, if I read the commentary correctly. So they over compensated for the wind bringing in os discs with the problems that brings on these types of courses?

So...the key for the FPO win is....."to simply throw the disc frickin straight!!!" Seriously...seems like most of the FPO were throwing stable to overstable discs resulting in wide horizontal sweeps, hard fades at the end, flair skips, etc, etc. Paige B on the other hand..."hmm...looks like a tough hole...guess I'll just throw a slower speed disc, around 320ft or so....straight... and take a par and move on...what?...I'm in the circle, might as well go for a bird while I'm here." Seriously... that was by far the most smartest, impressive FPO win I've ever seen. Very Val like, but with a better overall technical skill set. Plus...c'mon...you can't help but like her, she seems very friendly, nice, and that emotion displayed after the win..wow...we had a chance to be up close and actually "listen" to all that emotion being released. I almost felt like they should have turned the mic off, but I'm glad they didn't, that was great to hear. :) I'm sure she made a lot of new fans today. :clap:

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about Paige Piece is her inability to take advantage of her distance appropriately. Her overall shot selection and constant need to go for everything makes her wins and losses both unbelieve sights.

Last round of US Open last time it was there, averaged 3.03...8 birdies, 49 pars, 10 bogeys.

Yea that's my point, even the short "easy" hole isn't so easy when you look at the numbers. It still has something like a 2.8 average on tour.

Something like #10 at Fox Run doesn't belong in a world championship. A minor adjustment could make it more difficult without shrinking the basket.

This whole basket debate typically ignores he fact that changing the regulation size of the basket is entirely impractical from a coat perspective. Almost no course out there is in a position to just change our 18 baskets just to make a core skill harder.

This whole basket debate typically ignores he fact that changing the regulation size of the basket is entirely impractical from a coat perspective. Almost no course out there is in a position to just change our 18 baskets just to make a core skill harder.

People always think globally about such things. Whether or not I feel this should happen, if I was gonna do it, I would require a standardized basket for certain types of events, say Majors, or NTs. Then your impact is minimal and the PDGA could help out. Once you've established a standard, it would catch on.

People always think globally about such things. Whether or not I feel this should happen, if I was gonna do it, I would require a standardized basket for certain types of events, say Majors, or NTs. Then your impact is minimal and the PDGA could help out. Once you've established a standard, it would catch on.
Even then, players would not be able to practice much on any local courses, and they would all need to buy one of the touring baskets for putting practice. The fundamental issue with regard to putting at the tour level is the current equipment, available foliage and rules are perceived to not provide sufficient scoring separation (primarily Open division), especially on shorter and open holes. There are some creative ways to address this without wholesale changes in equipment.

Yes. I think that's exactly how such a thing would begin. It would be focused on the elite level sanctioned events and trickle down from there. If individual TDs or clubs or course owners/operators were intent on having a course or courses that were capable of hosting such events, they could either temporarily or permanently address their targets in anticipation of the event. For the existing courses that have no aspirations or expectations of hosting high level events, there would be no reason to change anything. I mean, the local 4500 foot pitch and putt really shouldn't need to upgrade their targets to match elite tournament standards since it's unlikely it would ever host anything higher than a C-tier anyway.

Not that would happen, but what about just removing either the inner or outer set of chains?
At least it wouldn't require entirely new baskets.

Even then, players would not be able to practice much on any local courses, and they would all need to buy one of the touring baskets for putting practice. The fundamental issue with regard to putting at the tour level is the current equipment, available foliage and rules are perceived to not provide sufficient scoring separation (primarily Open division), especially on shorter and open holes. There are some creative ways to address this without wholesale changes in equipment.

I see your point, although I'm not sure how much the impact would be. Presumably, the traveling pros would have a couple of days to work with the baskets. Frankly, the variation from site to site has to be part of their planning regardless? Not cool, dropping the "creative ways," and then leaving me hanging, sigh, please enlighten me if you have the time. Thanks Chuck.

Not that would happen, but what about just removing either the inner or outer set of chains?
At least it wouldn't require entirely new baskets.

Even though I've asked Chuck to enlighten, at least one thing he's discussed in the past is an attachment that limits the entry of discs in certain ways. That means you don't have to remove chains but simply can add on a temporary item. I don't love the solution, but it makes a certain amount of sense.

Something like #10 at Fox Run doesn't belong in a world championship. A minor adjustment could make it more difficult without shrinking the basket.

Yep. Call it a par 2. It would go from 2nd easiest to 4th most difficult.