• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 DG Achievements, 2020 DG Goals

Played my most new courses in a year, 35, shattering my old record of 28. :hfive:
Added 1 new country played, Honduras, but no new states. :doh:
Played a couple of CADL doubles leagues.
Learned how do create a UDISC course map, then loaded those to DGCR!!

Not sure if I can break my new course annual record, but 34 will get me to 200 total!
Add new states, OH and TN will be the most likely.
Become THEY at new courses locally in Rolesville, Morrisville, Hillsborough and The Diavolo.
Improve my game in driving distance, accuracy and putting range.

2019 Completed

- Redesigned my local course with new tee pads, tee signs, and navigation signs
- Helped grow the STLO (our A-Tier)
- Filled / sold out our other 3 sanctioned events
- Ran a successful league
- Increased Club membership and event participation
- Created 2 new volunteer positions and brought on 2-3 new volunteers for the Club
- Designed and launched new bag tags that illustrate our mission statement
- Facilitated the creation of a cloud-based shared drive for our managing documents
- Collaborated with (4) other, local entities on the regional 2020 schedule
- Created sponsorship programs / documents to help market the Club
- Took the local Club from barely squeaking by to being financially healthy
- Secured Club sponsorship for 4 key vendors and 1 local brewery
- Facilitated the creation of a new Club website
- Facilitated the replacement of all tee signs at a historic, local course.
- Gained approval to install a 2nd 18-hole course at a historic, local course
- Gained approval to install a new course on an abandoned ball golf course
- Helped (2) 9-hole course managers the resources they need to turn their 9-hole courses into 18 holes
- Still averaged ~940 on my sanctioned rounds this year.

2020 Pending

- Get local membership back up to 300 members
- Continue running league
- Host a women's only event
- Make the STLO even bigger
- Install a practice basket at every 18-hole course in town
- Launch new website
- Replace retired volunteers
- Support my local JRs league
- Play MP40
- Avg. 950 rating while volunteering
- Gain permission to install another (1-2) 18-hole courses along the 270 corridor
- Play 10 new courses
- Introduce 12 people to the game
- Run "learn to play" clinics at my local university
- Fundraising efforts to exceed added cash requirements for 2020 sanctioned events.

2019 Achievements:

I didn't get to play all that much this year. Work has been crazy busy. Between that and trying to be a halfway decent dad and husband, dg had to take a backseat.

My main goal for 2019 was to make it up to Highbridge. I didn't get that done and just need to plan a long weekend in 2020 ahead of time. I tend to wait until the last minute to settle on a destination for day trips and let the weather forecast help make my decision. With Highbridge being 7 hours away, I need to plan the trip ahead of time and just accept that the weather might suck.

There were some positives in my dg 2019. I played a handful of new courses that popped up around the Chicago area (reviewed one of them). Almost every round was played with my 7 year old son and his younger brother tagged along for quite a few.

It seems that I've been trying to fix my backhand for about a decade, but had a few nice breakthroughs this year. Between sidewinder's videos and watching tourney videos on youtube, I picked up a couple of things to focus on that occasionally come together in some really solid throws. Watching Kevin Jones' pre-throw routine (where he does a stomp onto the front foot, pauses, and then windmills through) especially helped, since starting the pull too early is a bad habit I've struggled to completely break for years. I made a few form tweaks and now on a good throw I can really feel my body pulling my arm into the throw. These throws come out effortlessly and go far (for me).

2020 goals:

Finally make it up to Highbridge.

Set aside some time to practice and lock down the recent form improvements.

Teach my 5 year old an effective throw so he can better keep up with his older brother and have more fun on the course.

Get my wife back into the game. She broke her ankle badly 2 years ago and hasn't played more than once or twice since then. At this point, she is as healed as she's going to get. She used to really enjoy dg and I'm hoping we can find a throw that allows her to play without pain/fatigue in the ankle. She is a lefty and threw lhbh, lhfh, and rhbh before the injury. Ideally we train up the one that puts the least stress on the weak spots in her ankle and she can have fun playing dg again.

Teach my older son to putt backhand. He has a killer forehand for his age, but is lost inside 50 feet.

Play more new courses. Finally make it down to Peoria.

Write at least 5 reviews. Update a few old ones (my review of The Canyons is especially out of date).

2019 achievements

1. got back to 950+, and actually shot a couple 1000+ rounds

2. stayed relatively healthy

2020 goals

1. get to 100 courses played - actually at 96 counting unlisted private courses

2. change to a forehand dominant game to help extent longevity (right hip has become an issue, and back problems always looming after years of wear and tear)

3. enjoy the non-competitive side of the game more

4. caddy for my son at a tournament

I would put something down about solidifying my bag lineup more than last year even (stayed pretty consistent for me, surprisingly) but if I move to a forehand dominant game I don't want to set a goal I can't meet.

Last edited:
goals of 2019 for disc golf,

1. get putting much higher percent make and miss have those not land 4-5 feet short of basket, 1 foot short at most.
2. try to get my disc selection better, know when to use what in my bag. this did not happen
3. work on getting my forehand putt more to the basket. (subsitute for turbo putt, hands too small for turbo grip)

Goals 2020 Disc Golf,

1. get putting better as I was currently at roughly 60%-65% but much higher then the 50%-55% of last year.
2. play in a tournament even if it is non PDGA
3. try to get my long approach/very short midrange shot better. That is a big weakness as I have switched from approach disc (Shark) to midrange (Shark 3) and the getting to use Shark for this shot rather then panic and use Shark 3 due to Shark 3 being a bit faster/longer range disc and not being as accurate with the shot.

goals of 2019 for disc golf,

1. get putting much higher percent make and miss have those not land 4-5 feet short of basket, 1 foot short at most.
2. try to get my disc selection better, know when to use what in my bag. this did not happen
3. work on getting my forehand putt more to the basket. (subsitute for turbo putt, hands too small for turbo grip)

Goals 2020 Disc Golf,

1. get putting better as I was currently at roughly 60%-65% but much higher then the 50%-55% of last year.
2. play in a tournament even if it is non PDGA
3. try to get my long approach/very short midrange shot better. That is a big weakness as I have switched from approach disc (Shark) to midrange (Shark 3) and the getting to use Shark for this shot rather then panic and use Shark 3 due to Shark 3 being a bit faster/longer range disc and not being as accurate with the shot.

And starting a "Casey 1988 AMA" thread on DGCR.:clap:

Built 1 new hole, started another.
Healthy enough to play, though not well.

Build more holes.
Stay healthy enough to play.

2019 Completed

- Redesigned my local course with new tee pads, tee signs, and navigation signs
- Helped grow the STLO (our A-Tier)
- Filled / sold out our other 3 sanctioned events
- Ran a successful league
- Increased Club membership and event participation
- Created 2 new volunteer positions and brought on 2-3 new volunteers for the Club
- Designed and launched new bag tags that illustrate our mission statement
- Facilitated the creation of a cloud-based shared drive for our managing documents
- Collaborated with (4) other, local entities on the regional 2020 schedule
- Created sponsorship programs / documents to help market the Club
- Took the local Club from barely squeaking by to being financially healthy
- Secured Club sponsorship for 4 key vendors and 1 local brewery
- Facilitated the creation of a new Club website
- Facilitated the replacement of all tee signs at a historic, local course.
- Gained approval to install a 2nd 18-hole course at a historic, local course
- Gained approval to install a new course on an abandoned ball golf course
- Helped (2) 9-hole course managers the resources they need to turn their 9-hole courses into 18 holes
- Still averaged ~940 on my sanctioned rounds this year.

2020 Pending

- Get local membership back up to 300 members
- Continue running league
- Host a women's only event
- Make the STLO even bigger
- Install a practice basket at every 18-hole course in town
- Launch new website
- Replace retired volunteers
- Support my local JRs league
- Play MP40
- Avg. 950 rating while volunteering
- Gain permission to install another (1-2) 18-hole courses along the 270 corridor
- Play 10 new courses
- Introduce 12 people to the game
- Run "learn to play" clinics at my local university
- Fundraising efforts to exceed added cash requirements for 2020 sanctioned events.

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping up the STL scene. I'm new to the game, and live in St. Charles, but get over to Endicott and Carrollton a lot, and other places when I can (Like Dunegant). Where is the best course to meet people and get involved in the scene in your opinion? Maybe this year I can pry myself away from my work and help out, too. I just can't get down to the area with Wilmore Park (or Jeff. Barracks) too often.

I'd like to get a practice basket at Carrollton during 2020. There's a spot between Hole 1 and 10 that begs for it. I can pitch in a hundred bucks for that maybe.

And sorry if this is a thread derail.

2019 Achievements

- Played about 10 new courses, bringing my total up over 50.
- Joined the local club for the first time, the Cherokee County division of the ADGO
- Raised my rating to 916, began the year at 893
- Shot 12 of my best 15 rated rounds this year.
- Took home 4 wins this year, 3 in AM2 and 1 in AM3

2020 Goals

- I would like to add about 15 new courses to the count this year. A buddy and I are taking a trip to Nashville in April for a weekend. We are planning on playing about 10 courses while we are up there.
- Looking to be more active in the local clubs. I would like to join a sanctioned league and be able to put more rounds towards my rating. Maybe even compete with ADGO Bag Tags.
- I would like to improve my rating so that I cannot play in AM2 anymore. I feel like the jump from 915-935 will be must more difficult then the jump for 890-915. Gotta work on not having the disastrous round.
- I would like to have a 1000+ rated round. I feel like my consistency is improving, but I just cannot get over that hump.
- I would like to win an A-tier. It is a little difficult living in Atlanta and playing in A-tiers. You either have to go to IDGC, Birmingham, or Nashville/Knoxville to play in an established A-tier (I am looking to see how the Doc Holiday Shootout comes together next year)
- I would love to play Flyboy. If there is one thing that can happen on this list this is it. I know that it is not quite open to the public and that you need an invite, but I hope there is someone that can add me as a +1 on a visit this year.

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping up the STL scene.

I'd like to get a practice basket at Carrollton during 2020. There's a spot between Hole 1 and 10 that begs for it.

Thanks! I enjoy the work for the most part & like to help out...

The practice basket for Carrollton is sitting in my garage & being installed (in your suggested location) this weekend 😁

We'll be releasing sponsor programs soon, so hang on to that $100 (for the moment).
Thanks again!

Play less and go to the gym more... I failed and played too much

Play less and get to the gym more and let these impact injuries heal.

2019 Did quite a bit of coursework at Williamsburg, adding three new holes through the woods and honeysuckle underbrush, and starting the clearing for two more. Created the 'FunBurg' course there with some unique tone poles. That was my biggie for the year.
But also played 40 different courses (a few new ones mixed in), played a few less tourneys than usual, but managed to inch my rating DOWN in the course of losing just over 100 pounds (! yep, that is correct sir!).
Still had a pretty nice year.

2020 Hope to finish FunBurg, start building more permanent tee pads and signs out there, and see what else we need to get accomplished on the local course maintenance and improvement scene.
By spring, I want to get my distance and accuracy back up a little, and inch my rating back over 900, playing mostly tourneys where I plan to have FUN.
...and settle into healthy habits and maintain my weight in the range I was 40 years ago. :eek:

in 2020 i want to reach 350 courses (i'm at 318) and add 4 states and 2 countries

- Worked with business partner Roger to complete the final transition of our rating and competition system to the PDGA web system.
- Helped Mountain Man with design assistance in his quest to resurrect the five main courses and complex at Highbridge.
- Completed quest to have played disc golf in all 50 states during road trip to play several top courses in New England.
- Continuing redesign and course rebuild in Illinois.
- Passed the baton having retired from all five of my PDGA committee positions.
- Managed to finally increase rating back to my first update 31 years ago.

- Continue to help Mountain Man develop a financially sustainable enterprise at Highbridge.
- Work with partner Roger and others to develop advanced statistical systems potentially for traditional and newly developed sports and games beyond disc golf.
- Bring new energy and focus to the Disc Golf Course Designers group.
- Continue to play well enough to maintain rating above 900 as long as possible.

2019 GOALS
* Play 54 new courses to reach 200 total.
* Play in one new state
* One ace

RESULTS
* Yes: Even while being a new father to twin girls, I played EIGHTY new courses! (Up to 226 total.)
* Yes: Bagged two courses in Minnesota while helping out my father-in-law in late November.
* Yes: Had one ace; scored it in late June on the 217-foot Hole #1 at Carver Recreation Center in Chattanooga, Tenn.

2020 GOALS
* Play 74 new courses to reach 300.
* Play one new state
* Make at least one ace
* Write more DGCR course reviews and reach Gold Trusted Reviewer status. (Currently at 56 reviews and 307 thumbs.)
* Have more birdies/eagles than bogeys+

Latest posts