• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Disc Golf Trading Cards

This will be the third year they've done these cards, right? If there wasn't a market for them, I would think they'd have given up on it by now. That they're still selling them tells me there's demand for it. Just because you're not interested doesn't mean others aren't.

I had the chance to buy this set of cards back in the mid 80s but thought it was silly. Some people have a sense for making money... I'm not one of them.

Everybody remembers those days, so now, everyone buys them and hopes, the only problem is that everyone buys and saves them now, so there really isn't much rarity anymore.

I'd wager that at least half the modern action toys and anything which might be one day considered collectible (Cards, Hotwheels and the like) are mint in box gathering dust in attics and storage bins. Hope is a funny thing.

Trading cards are a super weird product to begin with. I don't get the appeal of collecting things that were specifically designed to be collected, without providing any other benefit.

Trading cards are a super weird product to begin with. I don't get the appeal of collecting things that were specifically designed to be collected, without providing any other benefit.

Back in the early days the first cards actually served a purpose. They were inserted into pouches of tobacco to stiffen the package and protect the product. The added prize of a baseball player being pictured on the cardboard stiffener was a marketing gimmick.. In the 30's bubble gum companies started putting cards in packs of gum..

I was thinking something more like the baseball cards we use to flip as a Kid when I saw this thread.

You know, the pack that had maybe 8-10 cards per pack and the most stale flat piece of bubble gum you almost broke your teeth on for $ .99.

I used to collect Pokemon cards...at least you could play a game with those lol.

Anyone know about Magic cards from the 90s? If you go down the rabbit hole you'll learn about counterfeiting issues, lawsuits, financial speculation, organized theft, etc. Paying $X for a frisbee is nothing compared to how much people are spending on cardboard. Imagine a deck of cards that costs as much as a nice car or a down payment on a house.

Counterfeit cards has been an issue for a long time.. Upper Deck(1989) was the first company to include a hologram on the back of the cards to discourage counterfeiting.

This will be the third year they've done these cards, right? If there wasn't a market for them, I would think they'd have given up on it by now.

Fwiw...imop...I think Dodge is an all in or all out kind of guy. I think if the DGPT does ever go belly up, it will be an immediate announcement and not a long drawn out "support us or we're going to go under" etc, etc. Plus I still think there's a bit of ego present, he just doesn't strike me as a guy too easy to give up on something he's fully behind. I admire his business savvy and overall gumption.

I wish I had a Ken Climo rookie card :p

Leaf has actually made a few Ken Climo cards..

51G5XpsYXPL._SX425_.jpg

Fwiw...imop...I think Dodge is an all in or all out kind of guy. I think if the DGPT does ever go belly up, it will be an immediate announcement and not a long drawn out "support us or we're going to go under" etc, etc. Plus I still think there's a bit of ego present, he just doesn't strike me as a guy too easy to give up on something he's fully behind. I admire his business savvy and overall gumption.

Having known Steve for over 15 years, I have to disagree. He's absolutely not afraid to ask for help or to drop something if it isn't working. He's passionate and gutsy, but he also isn't going to throw good money after bad. The trading cards are still a thing because people are buying them. The first year editions are sold out. The second year sets have very few left (2 if I'm reading the site correctly). Taking pre-orders on next year's sets shouldn't be that surprising.

Packs are $8.95 each so basically $1 each. You have the chance to get some rare cards in those packs which do not come in the complete boxed sets which they sell for $55 for 65 cards.

I wonder how much of an initial investment this was? The photos they chose are questionable. The price per pack is outrageous. The DG consumer base is not one that has loads of disposable income. I will be surprised if they sell more than 10 packs of those. The sports card market died in 1996. Investing in a product line based on hopes and prayers that they will sell is just plain dumb. These types of poor business decisions are what lead to bankruptcy. A better idea would have been to sell limited edition minis with the winners of the tournaments on them.

you sure about that? Seems alive and well, see links below. These are modern cards selling for $10k+. Market is dead though.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...H_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=juan+soto&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=16

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mike+trout&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=16

I am aware of the fact that there are one off cards being produced in order to spark interest and create value... The market did die. It certainly isnt what it used to be back in the 80s and 90s. The market now is much, much smaller with a focus on high-end collectors.

I am aware of the fact that there are one off cards being produced in order to spark interest and create value... The market did die. It certainly isnt what it used to be back in the 80s and 90s. The market now is much, much smaller with a focus on high-end collectors.

Sorry, you are wrong.

That was just 3 quick examples. These are not one off cards, there are thousands of cards of many different players in many different sports selling for this amount. Hundreds of thousands selling for $1k+.

There is more money in the sport card market now than ever before.

The 80s and 90s sportscards are basically all trash because of major over production. There are very few from this time frame that still hold value.

I agree the number of collectors is smaller now than the 80s/90s, but today's sports card market is doing just fine. No where near dead.

Sorry, you are wrong.

That was just 3 quick examples. These are not one off cards, there are thousands of cards of many different players in many different sports selling for this amount. Hundreds of thousands selling for $1k+.

There is more money in the sport card market now than ever before.

The 80s and 90s sportscards are basically all trash because of major over production. There are very few from this time frame that still hold value.

I agree the number of collectors is smaller now than the 80s/90s, but today's sports card market is doing just fine. No where near dead.

I have absolutely zero proof of what I'm about to guess. But yeah.

I would speculate many of the people that used to collect them slowly stopped, had to sell them for financial reasons, or whatever. Those that continued are old(er) and have more money to spend on random ****...how many 15 year olds do you honestly think buy baseball cards now? NO CHANCE teenagers and children seek them out on a daily basis like young people in the 80s did (for example).

Give it what, 30 years when a majority of said old(er) people die and see how the market is doing then. I literally haven't seen a sports card in over a decade and I'm only 29. Hell I haven't even heard anyone mention the words "______ card" in conversation in equally as long.