• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

yea, you got it. he had a few putts that "would have gone in if there were chains there!" but guess what dude... they aren't. i was very happy and humbled to have the opportunity to play with him but hearing him trash the course and event repeatedly was not fun

edit: pretty pumped to see that AG is on team discraft now! he seems like a good dude

Shrug. I have met and played with players of all kinds of dispositions......good and bad. Really, to expect that there is some correlation between how well you can throw a piece of plastic and congeniality, is on you. I have played plenty of tournaments with jackwagons and disc, like life, this should not surprise you, or disappoint you.

how does he do it??????????

i would love to see sw22 or someone briefly break down the finer points of this to my untrained eye
Big strong young athletic guy with good technique who has probably thrown a lot of baseballs and/or footballs and hockey shots. Massive "reachback" aka shoulder turn, most players lack shoulder turn in reachback. Elbow lead / lower arm lag. Wide/extended arm release and pronated palm down finish. He plants his front foot turned inward notably so it's not pointed open straight to target, so he has something to brace and throw against across his front foot.

None of that "keep the palm to the sky" or "keep the elbow in" t-rex arm non-sense.

Big strong young athletic guy with good technique who has probably thrown a lot of baseballs and/or footballs and hockey shots. Massive "reachback" aka shoulder turn, most players lack shoulder turn in reachback. Elbow lead / lower arm lag. Wide/extended arm release and pronated palm down finish. He plants his front foot turned inward notably so it's not pointed open straight to target, so he has something to brace and throw against across his front foot.

None of that "keep the palm to the sky" or "keep the elbow in" t-rex arm non-sense.

now you got me re-evaluating my fh cuz im in the palm up camp....

thank you

Big strong young athletic guy with good technique who has probably thrown a lot of baseballs and/or footballs...

Bingo. I've thrown a few 500-550' forehands, and could only ever throw a baseball in the low to mid 80's. I'd love to see what someone with a 100 mph fastball could do with a 2.5cm-rimmed driver. As this game gets more popular, we might see some really impressive forehand players emerge.

now you got me re-evaluating my fh cuz im in the palm up camp....

thank you

While my forehand has a long way to go, as soon as I stopped forcing palm-up it improved 100%.

Seems to me the position of any part of my hand is only important at release.

While my forehand has a long way to go, as soon as I stopped forcing palm-up it improved 100%.

Seems to me the position of any part of my hand is only important at release.

Yes and no. It seems trajectory is important. Your hand can be at the same release point under a lot of different scenarios, but follow through determines where the disc goes.

Bingo. I've thrown a few 500-550' forehands, and could only ever throw a baseball in the low to mid 80's. I'd love to see what someone with a 100 mph fastball could do with a 2.5cm-rimmed driver. As this game gets more popular, we might see some really impressive forehand players emerge.
Eagle's FH kind of reminds me of Randy Johnson's sidearm. I would also love to see the Big Unit throw some discs in his prime, as well as Aaron Rogers and Bubba Watson who both actually play dg.

Just thought I would throw this in here:

Jason Cortella - Current FH and OH Distance Record Holder:
"The source of my power in my forehand is from years of playing baseball (I was throwing ~80-85 mph when I stopped playing in high school). A side arm disc golf shot is almost the exact same mechanics as a side arm baseball throw. I would recommend playing catch with a baseball (not sidearm, but don't be afraid to try a few sidearm throws for fun) to really develop your throwing mechanics, and you will see translation into sidearm distance."
0uuTOVy.png

Eagle's FH kind of reminds me of Randy Johnson's sidearm. I would also love to see the Big Unit throw some discs in his prime, as well as Aaron Rogers and Bubba Watson who both actually play dg.

any way you can briefly break down big jerm vs a torque monkey like ricky (presumably)

big jerm seems to have long d with finesse and US discs, whereas ricky torques hella OS discs but also achieves great d

also if this is better on a thread in techniques section ill be happy to relocate this convo (if youre willing to answer)

also a bonus question how does paul or eagle, who to me has about the same style seem to generate such d with the same basic wind up and release

any way you can briefly break down big jerm vs a torque monkey like ricky (presumably)

big jerm seems to have long d with finesse and US discs, whereas ricky torques hella OS discs but also achieves great d

also if this is better on a thread in techniques section ill be happy to relocate this convo (if youre willing to answer)

also a bonus question how does paul or eagle, who to me has about the same style seem to generate such d with the same basic wind up and release
Wysocki has great touch, I think he's just more comfortable with overstable discs(makes sense with FH having less spin) and more overhand delivery/arm slot with baseball background.

I think Jerm just prefers more underhanded delivery/arm slot so the hyzer-flip is more natural to him from playing tennis and Ultimate.

Not sure what the bonus question is. If you are asking why Eagle throws further than McBeth with similar technique, I'd say the difference is orangutan factor, longer levers, although McBeth is fairly athletic and has ginormous hands which helps him achieve above average distance.

Forehand is mostly only about the elbow, not palm or wrist. Elbow first, rest follows quite naturally after that.

Those pics always looked gruesomely awesome to me! I had one of myself like that from back in my high school baseball days. Looked so weird to see my arm contort like that.

Max Nichols to Discraft. Not sure if that was already mentioned here.

Last edited:
^ Just saw it posted earlier. Thought I was bringing some breaking news. You stay classy San Diego.

So we thinking Rick will announce on 1/1 and is there any chance its not to Innova?

No but I think it is to Innova or another brand making discs in Innova's factories. More then likely he goes to Innova but has a fairly mixed company bag, using other disc companies from the same manufacture. Not sure this includes the discs from Infinite's brand as it now seems legal for players to do but I am still not 100% on if Innova sponsored players can do that yet.

This may sound dumb (and it may have already been mentioned), but is there a chance that Ricky is going to Dynamic? I'm not sure how separate Lat and DD are, so that's why I ask.