• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

Fans always side with ownership. Were I a touring player, I could think of 8 million things I'd rather do instead of updating my disc list before each round. And I might just list everything as my sig disc. "Yup, that's right, 22 of my sig disc."

McBeth's intagram story today is a share of Brodie Smith's video showing Paul and Simon Lizotte doing trick shots inside an indoor soccer facility. A clue? Or a decoy? Someone help with a pic!

Fans always side with ownership. Were I a touring player, I could think of 8 million things I'd rather do instead of updating my disc list before each round. And I might just list everything as my sig disc. "Yup, that's right, 22 of my sig disc."

We live in a social marketing world. Tina Oakley sells discs, she gets sponsored. If I were sponsoring players it'd be in the contract they do these things. That's the whole reason to sponsor them, move plastic.

Question for you guys....
Why do we assume mcbeth wouldn't leave Innova for anything short of shares in company, own line of discs, yada yada yada yada, but yet have no problem assuming wysocki will go to Innova for straight up cash?

McBeth was unquestionably the face of Innova, and by all accounts was being paid pretty well too. The logical conclusion from that is that he must be getting something exceptional to leave. Under the assumption that he is going to discraft and they don't have the means to make a better cash offer than Innova, one concludes that he is leaving for something better/other than straight cash.

Ricky on the other hand could be thought of as an extremely talented free agent, so going with the biggest cash offer could make sense.

I can speculate all day, ask me another! :)

2018 World Champion Paige Bjerkaas Signs Two-Year Agreement with Dynamic Discs

Dynamic Discs is excited to announce that we have reached an agreement with Paige Bjerkaas for the 2019 and 2020 seasons! Bjerkaas has played for Team Dynamic Discs since 2009 when she was in seventh grade, and she has collected multiple wins since, including the 2010 Junior World Championship. In 2018, Paige faced a difficult decision - return to Emporia State for the fall semester or stay out on the road for the remainder of the year. Ultimately, she chose to tour for the remainder of the year, and most would call it a life-changing decision, resulting in winning the FPO 2018 World Championship.

As you may have seen, Paige recently purchased a touring van with Dynamic Discs' support, and we can't wait to see how she thrives out on the road! About her upcoming seasons, Bjerkaas said, "I am excited to have the opportunity to represent Dynamic Discs in the best way that I can. Dynamic Discs has believed in me for many years, and I'm looking forward to making them proud while touring full-time!"

If you want to join us in supporting Paige, pick up one of her signature Fuzion Judges or special stamps now, or you can grab a Lucid-X Getaway in 2019. We're proud of you, Paige!

Posted 58 minutes ago on DD's Facebook page.

Read the article, Jussi even says that himself as the reason for the move to Colorado. And a simple Google search will show you that there is massive employer migration out of California.

I did read it. And you said it as well...and then, for some reason, redundantly used allusion when you had already plainly stated it.

California is an expensive place to live and do business...
but Blue since 92 and is the 5th largest economy in the world (larger than the UK, who has twice the population) And during the last presidency, we accounted for a quarter of the nation's GPD growth, so you should be rooting for us...we're all linked, at least fiscally. I wouldn't let out a Nelson-laugh if all of Nebraska's corn crops were wiped out due to GMO legislation i didn't agree with.

Sure I could think of a ton of things I'd rather do... but the job is to sell discs, build my brand, and rep the company. I would think that is more important than the majority of those 8 million things.

We live in a social marketing world. Tina Oakley sells discs, she gets sponsored. If I were sponsoring players it'd be in the contract they do these things. That's the whole reason to sponsor them, move plastic.

Sure I could think of a ton of things I'd rather do... but the job is to sell discs, build my brand, and rep the company. I would think that is more important than the majority of those 8 million things.

Ownership appreciates you both explaining what sponsorship is to me.

It blows my mind that the disc companies don't (either themselves or make the players do it) provide a list of all the discs in a sponsored player's bag to the video makers. "Hey I see player x is going to be on the featured card, here is an updated list of what they are throwing with colors." Helps everyone.

Only problem with this is, disc golf players change the specific discs in their bag quite often (not the molds, just to a backup). This would be really hard for the team manager or whoever to keep track of, when often the bag may change from round to round. Not saying it can't or should not be done. Companies should really write it into the contract that players upload that kind of stuff before the round. And when a big name player starts doing a bag update every round, they are going to get more eyeballs on their bag and thus sell more discs.

If I were a sponsored player I'd assume my job was to talk about, mention, write about, and get announcers to mention the discs I threw every chance I got.

If I made a good drive "Love my D2!".
Give a list of discs to the crew filming.
Hold up my putter toward the camera after sinking a long putt .
Etc.

I don't understand why you'd keep it a secret.

AND all my discs would be stock stamps, so interested ams could get the same discs a pro uses.

If someone paid me to play disc golf I'd be happy to give daily updates on the discs in my bag, the brand underwear I have on, the toothpaste I used that morning...

It blows my mind that the disc companies don't (either themselves or make the players do it) provide a list of all the discs in a sponsored player's bag to the video makers. "Hey I see player x is going to be on the featured card, here is an updated list of what they are throwing with colors." Helps everyone.

It's not really that easy, unless you require players to continually update their sponsors on which discs they're currently using.

At that point it's just easier for the players themselves to answer the question when the media folks ask. That's how Ian always knows, he just gets a list from the people on the cards. Pro move.

I do the same thing for the ITB's, but sometimes I still get incorrect info, lol.

Sort of like ball golf commentators saying exactly which club a pro is using. Often knowing the exact loft angle and what the plan of attack is with said club.

Well I mean golf clubs by-and-large have the same face angles and shaft lengths across companies for comparably "numbered" irons, so it's not a great comparison. The most notable exception has to do with the wedges.

I think a better analogy is actually what golf commentators often don't say - they're not talking about whether Mickelson has a PM grind on his 56-degree wedge vs. Tiger's C-grind 56-degree with a bounce of 8...yadda yadda.

I'm making those specifics up, I don't know Tiger or Phil's bag, but you get the point.

Companies are fleeing California in masse because the cost of doing business is getting beyond ridiculous.

And I think we all know why California is seeing both residents and businesses flee. You had it coming commies. Reap what you sow.

To quote Edgar Allen Poe, "Stupidity is a talent for misconception."

I'm guessing what they throw "for real" is perhaps a bit different than their latest "in the bag" or social media video.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Do you actually not know how sponsorship works or are you saying you would actively not do your job?

If you were a sponsered player, wouldn't you want to rep your signature discs to boost sales and make more money for yourself? That is a reason to do it that has a direct outcome on your yearly income.

Companies are fleeing California in masse because the cost of doing business is getting beyond ridiculous.

And I think we all know why California is seeing both residents and businesses flee. You had it coming commies. Reap what you sow.

I just hope all of them coming to my home state of Texas will not also bring their California mind set. :thmbdown:

So take it for what it's worth, but on Simon's insta story he asks Paul where he's going to go, joking about his next contract. Paul says what sounds like "back to the hotel room after this, get ready for the VPO"

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Do you actually not know how sponsorship works or are you saying you would actively not do your job?

If you were a sponsered player, wouldn't you want to rep your signature discs to boost sales and make more money for yourself? That is a reason to do it that has a direct outcome on your yearly income.

The conversation took a turn at some point from the company's providing the lists to making the players do it, and it was assumed it wouldn't be that hard to do. My point is that it's easy to say "oh, that's not hard to do" (while not actually knowing the actual steps to do it other than "make the player do it"). It's a +1 in terms of what the players have to do on top of what they already do. While his/her job is to uphold his/her contract, that's not a contract on his/her entire life. Granted, the more skill the player has, the more bargaining power they have.

My point about fans supporting ownership is simply to point out that fans want things like the name of the disc being thrown and the easiest way to get that info is to have ownership "make the players do it."

I hope the players don't forget to unionize as the sport grows.

Latest posts