• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2020 Majors

Lazerface

Eagle Member
PDGA posted the 2020 Major Locations

I was disappointed to see Utah at first cause I have not really enjoyed the Utah Open course as a Youtube watcher outside of the background views. But it looks like they have a sweet woods course down the road that will be incorporated. Turns out there was only 2 bids, so I guess we should be thankful for anyone who hosts. It takes a serious group of folks to host worlds and they deserve praise. Considering how close Ogden is to some of the most spectacular National Parks in the country it would be worth a trip to spectate for sure. Doubt I'm selling the wife on that one though.

Other notable for me is the Tim Selinske masters at Harmony Bends in Columbia. I may take the 1.5 hour drive to watch some of that. I do think hosting anything at Harmony in May is risky though. Seems like a gamble because that course is simply unplayable right after a heavy rain. They have had to move events last minute in the past.

"The event will feature the famed Mulligan's Creekside"

The golf course course? Featured? I get there were only two bids, but this is a joke. I think you can see the mountains from the course, which will make this all the more sad. Go play in the mountains and forests. I guess facilities and the ability to accommodate lots of players, staff, and spectators is important, but I'm certainly not watching those rounds when they come out.

Mixing in crap for the sake of variety? You can test distance and skills on a more open course without goofy shots that that ball golf course layout has. Look at Joensboro or the Toboggon course for good examples.

Tries to hate on Emporia every time, doesn't always get 'em.

Not hating I thought it would be cool, although not a huge fan of country club. They did bid on everything right? I thought I heard rusco say it on a vid somewhere.

"The event will feature the famed Mulligan's Creekside"

The golf course course? Featured? I get there were only two bids, but this is a joke. I think you can see the mountains from the course, which will make this all the more sad. Go play in the mountains and forests. I guess facilities and the ability to accommodate lots of players, staff, and spectators is important, but I'm certainly not watching those rounds when they come out.

These comments always crack me up. Especially the highlighted. It's as if you can just wander up into the mountains and just build a course anywhere. the area at the base of the mountains is all privately owned and extremely expensive. With very few exceptions, (ski resorts etc.) the mountains themselves are all protected land.

As for the disc golf course on the golf course. It may, or may not be the coolest place to watch on video, However I've found that once you've played a course like that you have a much greater appreciation for the amount of skill required to score well there. And it's much more enjoyable to watch when you know how difficult what they do really is.

Last edited:
These comments always crack me up. Especially the highlighted. It's as if you can just wander up into the mountains and just build a course anywhere. the area at the base of the mountains is all privately owned and extremely expensive. With very few exceptions, (ski resorts etc.) the mountains themselves are all protected land.

As for the disc golf course on the golf course. It may, or may not be the coolest place to watch on video, However I've found that once you've played a course like that you have a much greater appreciation for the amount of skill required to score well there. And it's much more enjoyable to watch when you know how difficult what they do really is.

There are courses in the mountains. I don't know Utah that well, but I've played plenty of great mountain courses. I don't think people can just wander into the mountains to play. That is a weird interpretation of what I said.
Seeing the mountains from the goofy golf course layout is a reminder that there are better places to play disc golf.

The other course being played is called The Fort and it is no joke! Extremely difficult and beautiful wooded course. Very tight lines and long distances. I can't wait to see what the top pros can do on that course. I can shoot under par at mulligans fairly easily but I'm yet to get under par at The Fort. My only concern in for spectating. It's so tightly wooded I'm not sure where they will be allowed to view the action. It's a beautiful piece of property. Has a lake that they will be throwing over multiple times, and a top of the world type shot as well.

The other course being played is called The Fort and it is no joke! Extremely difficult and beautiful wooded course. Very tight lines and long distances. I can't wait to see what the top pros can do on that course. I can shoot under par at mulligans fairly easily but I'm yet to get under par at The Fort. My only concern in for spectating. It's so tightly wooded I'm not sure where they will be allowed to view the action. It's a beautiful piece of property. Has a lake that they will be throwing over multiple times, and a top of the world type shot as well.

Is it fair as well? Sometimes "very tight" translates to scattered small diameter trees in the fairway which would be terrible for competition. Just curious.

Being just 4 hours away in Boise, I'm excited to have worlds on our side of the country. Last time it was close was 2014 in Portland and I had just gotten into watching disc golf (pretty sure that was the first event I watched on a live stream). I will certainly try to get down there and watch the pros.

I am bummed they're not playing at Solitude which is an awesome course at a ski resort. It's about an hour's drive away, so I suppose that could have been a deterrent. I'm sure it was considered and they had a reason for not playing there.

In any case, I'm going to start planning the trip now so it actually happens!!

Is it fair as well? Sometimes "very tight" translates to scattered small diameter trees in the fairway which would be terrible for competition. Just curious.

Yes it is very fair. The Utah Open will be held at the fort this year. There should be coverage of that event so you can get a feel for the course.

There are courses in the mountains. I don't know Utah that well, but I've played plenty of great mountain courses. I don't think people can just wander into the mountains to play. That is a weird interpretation of what I said.
Seeing the mountains from the goofy golf course layout is a reminder that there are better places to play disc golf.

I'm aware there are great mountain courses. Solitude mentioned above is one of them. The way you said it makes it sound like putting in a course in the mountains would be easy. It's not. In fact it's ridiculously difficult. Especially since most of the land that could be used is private. And while several ski resorts have an interest in having disc golf at their resort, around here they aren't too interested in having someone qualified to do so design the course. We have some truly crappy mountain courses here in addition to the fantastic course at solitude. This doesn't even get into the difficulties of actually putting on an event at a ski resort. For the record Solitude is well over an hour away from the fort and is not a reasonable location for many, many reasons. I'm sorry that you don't like mulligans. I can tell you it is a very challenging course to play especially in the layout they use for the Utah Open.

I'm aware there are great mountain courses. Solitude mentioned above is one of them. The way you said it makes it sound like putting in a course in the mountains would be easy. It's not. In fact it's ridiculously difficult. Especially since most of the land that could be used is private. And while several ski resorts have an interest in having disc golf at their resort, around here they aren't too interested in having someone qualified to do so design the course. We have some truly crappy mountain courses here in addition to the fantastic course at solitude. This doesn't even get into the difficulties of actually putting on an event at a ski resort. For the record Solitude is well over an hour away from the fort and is not a reasonable location for many, many reasons. I'm sorry that you don't like mulligans. I can tell you it is a very challenging course to play especially in the layout they use for the Utah Open.

Ya, I get all of that. That still doesn't get rid of the fact that there are much better courses out there than golf course designs, many of them that are in the woods and mountains. That is sad to me, and that is what I was expressing.

Other notable for me is the Tim Selinske masters at Harmony Bends in Columbia. I may take the 1.5 hour drive to watch some of that. I do think hosting anything at Harmony in May is risky though. Seems like a gamble because that course is simply unplayable right after a heavy rain. They have had to move events last minute in the past.

I'm wondering what they are going to do about parking.

Ya, I get all of that. That still doesn't get rid of the fact that there are much better courses out there than golf course designs, many of them that are in the woods and mountains. That is sad to me, and that is what I was expressing.

That I can understand. What I think is sad is that there were only 2 groups willing to put together a bid to host worlds. Both of them using golf course designs. The fact is that you were going to get a golf course regardless. The thing that should be exciting is watching the pros play the fort. That is a truly spectacular piece of property that is really unlike anything else around here. We are super lucky that we were able to get access to this property and I believe that course will challenge the top pros. Between the fort and mulligans I believe it's going to be a fantastic worlds.

I'm wondering what they are going to do about parking.
Agreed! While the field by the parking lot is frequently used for parking for tournaments, it is still not enough. Car pooling will be a necessity or some sort of shuttle service.

The rain potential is risky as well, best to hope for a drier spring along the Missouri River watershed, if the Missouri is high, any decent amount of rain in the area will cause the small creeks that feed into it to flood. Hope everything works out, I frequently play there (from the reds) and would like to see how good players attack the course.