• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

General discussion about "Where to Host World's"

It's no secret; MJ was Innova sponsored. I think the first time I heard of him, he Monday-qualified at USDGC and ended up on the lead card for the final round. Right after that, Innova scooped him up. He switched to Discraft after about three years on team Innova. It was a big deal. Don't you remember? :confused:
You work for a university, right?
With the whole post-Covid DG boom, you could probs float the idea of teaching a History of Disc Golf class to the administration. I'm sure you could develop a curriculum. Maybe even get some local support from Gateway, and Dave Mc as guest lecturer.

The only question is:
Who's willing to drop a tenspot to change 3P's title to "Professor Three Putt?"

There needs to be an acknowledgement by the following parties that the PDGA, DGPT, disc manufacturers, and top players have pocketed a lot of money in the last 2.5 years and prior processes and operations operating within a different financial model produced a certain level of quality that no longer aligns with what stakeholders say they want. So, who among those who pocketed pandemic profits is going to pay some bills? Stuff (access, security, exclusive use) costs money.

Pro Worlds eventually needs to stay at one course.

Maybe two courses on a rotating basis.

That's it.

Very few worthy venues. The IDGC has a few courses on the property. Blue Ribbon Pines maybe? I get that Eagles Crossing is a showpiece. I'm still trying to figure out if it would make a good course for competition.
Highbridge for any Worlds: Pro, Am, Masters, (maybe not Juniors). But until the Pro financial model becomes robust enough to pay venues for hosting versus hosts required to raise/pay 10s of thousands to host, I suspect places like Highbridge will not be able to absorb the likely financial loss from doing so. Am & Masters Worlds have a more reasonable/fairer financial model for the various stakeholders to participate.

Charlotte NC. best courses in the states in my opinion. Lets expand and make it world tournament and play other places than the US.[

No one in Charlotte wants to run a pro worlds and deal with all the work and drama for nothing more than a thank you.

Also with Hornet's Nest going under construction again only Angry Beaver is gold level and I'm not sure how it would handle that type of event logistically.

Even if Nest were to come back to full strength, the players don't like it.

I disagree completely. That just takes them even closer to being just another tour event. it also pre-supposes that the best venues today are going to remain the best venues over a period of time.

And not just the venues, but the availability of
TD's, clubs, and other underlying infrastructure required to successfully run these events.

Not only do I want to see different venues from a purely aesthetic reason, but opening up
to new locations is likely to bring in more
and new people, who may may bring some new and interesting ideas to the event.

I think limiting it to relatively few locations on a rotating basis is somewhat of a step toward stagnancy.

I agree that pro worlds is best at different venues.

Given the discussions here, it seems that the PDGA is going to have to change their structure or nobody is going to host it.

Are we, as members ready to be the source of funding for the event?

I agree that pro worlds is best at different venues.

Given the discussions here, it seems that the PDGA is going to have to change their structure or nobody is going to host it.

Are we, as members ready to be the source of funding for the event?

The structure has already been changed to allow more groups to theoretically be able to host it. It's not much different than a regular DGPT event at this point in terms of courses and manpower needed. I suspect that there will continue to be people willing to do so in Emporia, Peoria, and Vermont if nowhere else. Busting your ass for a couple years leading up to it and then getting publicly sh*t on for whatever aspect fails to meet expectations (there will always be something and it will almost always get blown out of proportion) is not really a recipe for having lots of places anxious to host.

I have always been opposed to the PDGA directly subsidizing the event. I do think however that the PDGA needs to take on a more significant role in the fundraising through sponsorship side and likely a more significant role in the on site machinations of running it- possibly to the degree of having the TD be a PDGA employee rather than a local. That would fit the direction DGPT seems to be going.

The structure has already been changed to allow more groups to theoretically be able to host it. It's not much different than a regular DGPT event at this point in terms of courses and manpower needed. I suspect that there will continue to be people willing to do so in Emporia, Peoria, and Vermont if nowhere else. Busting your ass for a couple years leading up to it and then getting publicly sh*t on for whatever aspect fails to meet expectations (there will always be something and it will almost always get blown out of proportion) is not really a recipe for having lots of places anxious to host.

I have always been opposed to the PDGA directly subsidizing the event. I do think however that the PDGA needs to take on a more significant role in the fundraising through sponsorship side and likely a more significant role in the on site machinations of running it- possibly to the degree of having the TD be a PDGA employee rather than a local. That would fit the direction DGPT seems to be going.

My post wasn't worded well, but what you are suggesting is in line with what I was thinking.

Along with a bigger role in making it happen will be some expenditure from the organization.

I thought the discussion about locations, venues and people, etc that should host World's futs better in its own thread, than it does in the Paige Piece thread?

At this point, relatively few of the most recent posts in that thread have anything to do with Paige or her game. I'm guilty of helping to take that thread down this rabbit hole myself. So I started this thread to help keep our discussions on topic.

Good work, Bogey. I think this is an important discussion. Though, I think it important to really break the talk into Pro and AM. They definitely represent two different conversations.

I think Pro Worlds should be brought in house....by the pros, for the pros and run by the pros, themselves. Maybe the DGPT. Take the expense, work and burden off amateur disc golf clubs.

I really would like to see AM Worlds go back to 5-7 days at a handful of courses. This is my opinion as a player. I am not sure if this is the prevalent opinion. But, it seems that we have changed AM Worlds on the opinions and decisions of the Pro Worlds.

Great point ru4. The Pro and Am sides each have their own sets of challenges, are different beasts in many ways.

FWIW - it looks like the discussion really started to move away from the topic of Paige, and more ckearly into the discussion of venues starting with this post:

Actually, I believe it was one of only two? proposals the PDGA actually received for this event this year. Maybe the only one? I have wondered why they can't mix up venues a little more myself, but there actual # of bids they get each year is frustratingly low. Part of the problem is the logistics and demands of the event and the guaranteed money involved. Many great areas/courses would love to host, but simply cannot commit the resources required. That is why Worlds are back at Smugglers Notch (again) in 2023. Sigh...
Same old pro tour stops every year. Same old Major stops every year too it seems--USDGC, Euro, and now Champions Cup will be the same each year (though I love that course), and Worlds cycling thru a few existing Pro Tour stops. Didn't much care for Utah last year, but at least it was different courses.

Not blaming or throwing anyone under the bus.
Just trying to help the if a mod is willing to move certain posts to this thread. ;)