• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 PDGA Worlds Prediction(s)

I have a hard time seeing Eagle winning with 60% of the event at the Fort. Mulligan's is also way shorter than most of the golf courses on Tour so his advantage out in the open may be diminished.

1. Wysocki
2. McBeth
3. Hammes

1. Pierce
2. Tattar
3. Allen

He did win at Idlewild... so it's certainly not impossible.

I wouldn't be surprised if the winner is somebody we're not thinking of. Like what happened at Smuggs when Barsby won.

5 rounds vs 4 would seem to give an edge to the better players overall, reducing the impact one or even two uncharacteristically hot rounds would otherwise provide. That said, I don't see anyone even challenging PP on the FPO side.
MPO will come down to nerves, because I think it will be tight. Too many playing too well right now for me to see anyone running away with it. This favors those who have been in those situations before. So yeah, a top 3 of Ricky, Eagle, Paul looks totally possible. Would love to see a playoff with those 3.

Now if that happens, will we ever see McBeast again? His 'A-' game is no longer enough to win tournaments, and we haven't seen too much of his A+ game this year...could the dominant run be over?

Hammes has all the momentum in the world right now, I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the final round lead card, but I don't think he wins it, if the nerves get to him and cause another turfing the final round 1st tee shot into the ground on a card with any of the 1050 boys and they'll immediately start to pull away with a park job.

I'm still rooting for local boy Kyle Klein, He's got hot round potential, but I don't think it's quite his year yet.

Now if that happens, will we ever see McBeast again? His 'A-' game is no longer enough to win tournaments, and we haven't seen too much of his A+ game this year...could the dominant run be over?

There was a point in time that McBeth would see this, and quote this, with a confident rebuttal. We may be past those days, but every so often he still will pull of a performance that screams I am still the best player in the world.

He did win at Idlewild... so it's certainly not impossible.

I wouldn't be surprised if the winner is somebody we're not thinking of. Like what happened at Smuggs when Barsby and Mama Paige won.

FTFY

Time for some updates now that we're just over a week out... :popcorn:

At this point, I think Eagle has played his way into the Ricky/Paul tier. I like Ricky and that's who I'll be pulling for, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of these three end up with the win. My prediction is Eagle by 2, Paul and Ricky tying for second. 4th place is 3 strokes back of the tie.

Paige is on a war-path since she returned from Hawaii. I'm predicting she's going to win by 5+ strokes. Catrina comes in second as the "Phil Mickelson" of women's disc golf, and the closest competitor is 5+ strokes back of her.

Was biscoe the only person to have even thought about the newly blonde Kristin Tattar as a possibility?

I've been hearing chatter on podcasts about Tattar lately.

I also think Hammes is really looking good lately. I don't think that means he wins or plays well though.

I wonder if Emerson Keith keeps playing above his rating at worlds.

Going to be hot and sunny with mild-moderate wind(10mph forecasted)...

Still a week out isnt it? Not sure how stable the weather systems and accuracy of long term weather forecasts are in the US but in Finland I'd say anything over 3 days prediction is more like an educated guess... Well sometimes theres a supersystem that locks in place for a week and then its safe to say it'll be sunny for a week

Still a week out isnt it? Not sure how stable the weather systems and accuracy of long term weather forecasts are in the US but in Finland I'd say anything over 3 days prediction is more like an educated guess... Well sometimes theres a supersystem that locks in place for a week and then its safe to say it'll be sunny for a week

Weather in that part of the US stays basically the same all summer- dry and some varying degree of hot.

The East Coast on the other hand can change every 15 minutes...

1. McBeth
2. Wysocki
3. Kevin Jones
4. JConrad

1. Cat Allen
2. H. King
3. Tattar

Hot-Takes:

- McBeth - Has something to prove in 2021 beyond his already vast accomplishments of the past - I think something is burning and about to burst.

- Pierce - Can not avoid the "hero-shots" in the woods and pays for it.

- JC - can keep up on the golf course enough to score hot in the woods. No side-arm keeps him from top 3.

- Eagle and Hammes out of top 10 due to temperament.

- Kevin Jones looks like every Frat-Boy I have ever tussled' with - I will forgive him for that and predict that he puts together 5 rounds of "boring" (consistent) golf. Look for that Circle2 putt to shine in the woods.

- Simon in the top 10.

- Lloyd Weema gets and exemption in and places top 217th.

My guess is the same order as Utah open 2018

Ricky
Eagle
Paul

And for FPO

Page by +10
Cat
Tattar

This! What a great time to bring Mr. Weema back to top-tier disc golf. Not just great for us fans, but for all of humanity.

If you think that's hyperbolic, consider the following:

It was late in 2019 that the PDGA adopted the Lloyd Weema [Exclusion] Rule. They claimed to be fixing a "problem," but in reality there was no problem. It was a fairly blatant move to poop in Weema's oatmeal.

And with that "problem" having been "fixed," look how great 2020 turned out. Thanks, PDGA. :|

This! What a great time to bring Mr. Weema back to top-tier disc golf. Not just great for us fans, but for all of humanity.

If you think that's hyperbolic, consider the following:

It was late in 2019 that the PDGA adopted the Lloyd Weema [Exclusion] Rule. They claimed to be fixing a "problem," but in reality there was no problem. It was a fairly blatant move to poop in Weema's oatmeal.

And with that "problem" having been "fixed," look how great 2020 turned out. Thanks, PDGA. :|

In all seriousness, this was a problem that needed to be fixed.

It's outrageous that anyone could play our pro world championship. *Insert stereotypical comment about other pro sports, like golf, don't work that way*

It's honestly unfair to play with someone 200-250 points below your rating. Slows your rhythm, you don't get wind reads like other groups, etc.

For an organization like the PDGA that is constantly criticized for lack of professionalism towards the pro game, this move was absolutely a step towards that.

1. McBeth
2. Wysocki
3. Kevin Jones
4. JConrad

1. Cat Allen
2. H. King
3. Tattar

Hot-Takes:

- McBeth - Has something to prove in 2021 beyond his already vast accomplishments of the past - I think something is burning and about to burst.

- Pierce - Can not avoid the "hero-shots" in the woods and pays for it.

- JC - can keep up on the golf course enough to score hot in the woods. No side-arm keeps him from top 3.

- Eagle and Hammes out of top 10 due to temperament.

- Kevin Jones looks like every Frat-Boy I have ever tussled' with - I will forgive him for that and predict that he puts together 5 rounds of "boring" (consistent) golf. Look for that Circle2 putt to shine in the woods.

- Simon in the top 10.

I don't think that The Fort offers a ton of C2 looks, it seems either you are on the green in C1 or scrambling. Not to mention, KJ's ultra-low reachback on his straddle putts are not conducive to putting in and around brush.

I think Mulligan's is going to offer a ton more C2 looks and that's why I also disagree with your Hammes prediction. While the kid has always been known around the Midwest as an extreme hot-head, his C2 putting is World-class.

Also, another point about Mulligan's, it doesn't appear you need the Elite distance to score here like other Bolf courses. Just look at Dana Vicich's 1077 rated round at the 2017 Utah open and it's apparent anyone can get hot here. I think we may just see a few names sneak into the top 20 that aren't the usual suspects.

Seems a lot of guys are playing exceptionally well IMO.

Lots of potential for a variety of guys to have hot round(s).

I'd say if you go in the overall vibe if this year, Ricky is the easy pick. His game seems in point in every aspect.

OTOH, I think Paul was a little off early on this year, but seems to be getting it dialed.

And those are the two guys that have dealt with the pressure repeatedly and come out on top.

I would be very surprised if anybody else took the title in MPO.

PP is definitely planning to scorch the FPO.

Bogey's "outside the box, but not completely crazy"picks: Calvin Heimborg and Hailey King.

Who do I want to win? KJUSA & Cat

Who do I think will win? Ricky and PP.

Would it surprise me if McBeth wins # 6?
My flabber wouldn't be completely gasted.

Bogey's "outside the box, but not completely crazy"picks: Calvin Heimborg and Hailey King.

Who do I want to win? KJUSA & Cat

Who do I think will win? Ricky and PP.

Would it surprise me if McBeth wins # 6?
My flabber wouldn't be completely gasted.

Who do I want to win? Calvin & Kristin Tattar

Who do I think will win? Ricky and PP

Ricky and Eagle are both on fire right now, and Paul plays exceptionally well in big events. That said, it seems to me that Calvin tends to play better in later rounds than early ones, so the 5-round format could work to his advantage. I think this could be Calvin's year.

It's hard to bet against Paige right now, but anything could happen. Kristin, Cat, Sarah & Hailey all have a chance. I'm a fan of PP and I'd be happy to see her win, but I would be really stoked to see Kristin take this one down.

I keep going back to what Paul has said about putting being the big indicator for who will perform well at Worlds. While Ricky's game has been looking pretty great overall, his putting has seemed a little lackluster (for him) in the last few events. I'm sure he's working on it every single day so he's certainly still contend.

Meanwhile, Paul's putt is looking more and more dialed. If he's got the confidence to knock down putts like on hole 18 during the final round of the Portland Open, I'm taking him as the favorite to win.

Adam Hammes's putt is looking pretty great as well and I think he'll have a strong start but have trouble with consistency down the stretch. I expect the Fort will test his mental game more than any other course so far this season.

Eagle's putting wasn't great on the front 9 of the final round at Portland Open but he looks like he's one minor adjustment away from being in perfect form. Hard to say he couldn't win it but I've also been watching him on golf courses the last few weeks. I wonder how his touch game is feeling.

My sleeper pick is Simon. He cruised to a top 10 finish at Portland Open while playing pretty mediocre. Like Eagle, he looks to be one or two minor adjustments away from a near-perfect game. His sample size is a lot smaller for this season though so I could be way off. However, I honestly think Simon playing more conservative, 'boring' golf could smoke the rest of the field, and I think his touch game is better than Eagle and Ricky's and probably only rivaled by Paul. If his putt is dialed in by next week, don't be surprised to see Simon at the top.

Latest posts