• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 vs 4 finger power grip (BH)

A lot of people (that I know of) use the 3 finger because they have issues with the pinky holding the disc too long. I've also heard the 3 finger gives a little more control, not sure really. I throw a 4 finger fork grip (Climo) for everything.

0 finger god shot!

naw i throw 4. If i throw 3 i lose too much control

I still use four fingers for my mids but I have switched back to 3 fingers for wide rimmed drivers. I think it is more a mental thing for me than anything else. I backhanded a tree last year full force and I still have not fully recovered, meaning that sometimes I end up strong arming the disc instead of snapping. Sometimes my wrist will not fire. A four finger grip does not allow me to cock my wrist as much, to bring the edge of the disc into my inner wrist. A three finger grip gives me that little extra. Regardless if it is true or not, just making me think about my grip before I go up and throw helps remind me to go through with my whole throw, to remember to snap the wrist.

When I first started playing I used a two finger grip but when I switched over to a power grip I realized how little control I had with only two fingers. Switching from four to three worried me a little, but I see little over difference in control which I guess goes to speak of how much control comes from applying pressure on the disc with your middle finger.

I personally throw the 3 finger power grip for drives. Whenever I have tried the 4 finger grip my pinky catches and I don't have a clean release. This is a picture of what mine looks like.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20120315.JPG
    Snapshot_20120315.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 123
Nice little section on Max D grip in the latest Disc Golf Monthly:

Edit: hmmm ... won't let me link to the specific time ... it's at 10m11s

I have adopted a 3 finger (pinky free) grip for wide rimmed drivers as my hands/fingers are big and it feels way too crowded with the pinky crammed in there.

I have a freakishly short pinky compared to a lot of people, barely comes to the first knuckle of my ring finger. So, I have the exact same looking grip as Kevdiv48

I use four fingers on my fast drivers but switch to three fingers when i'm throwing discs that have more turn and are a bit more touchy like valks and leopards.

It's good to hear others are using 3 fingers as well. I was taught to use all four fingers and I had difficulty ripping the disc out of my hand. I broke my pinky several times in my early years and it doesn't go straight out. I finally left the pinky out on my grip, and now I generate alot more spin on my disc adding distance. On spike hysers it's now so much easier to release at a high swooping hyzer angle. Sometimes I try to go back to using four, but I find the pinky slows my release and I lose control.

I've written several lengthy post on here detailing the ups and downs to many grip styles. I'm sure with a little searching of my post you'll find quite a few of those. There are many good grips, several of which should be used in a round. Given the little details, I'll leave it at that, but it's very situational. What you'll see between the two grips will vary, but each has a use and possible distance potential.

I've been interchanging them lately. I feel I have more control with the 3 finger grip. Use it for tunnel shots, long upshots etc... I tend to use the 4 finger off the tee on longer, open holes.

3 finger grip for me. I use Climo's grip but leave the pinky out since it has been broken so many times it does not bend right.

I do find I have more control with the grip and the same distance.

I'm probably the only one that does this, but I use both depending on my release angle. Hyzer release I use three-finger, flat and anhyzer release angle I use four-finger. Weird I know.

So interesting to read everyones reasons. I have SMALL hands and use a 3 finger on my Nuke. I find it gives me LESS of a hyzer angle... so my reasons are opposite to some people here , but I suppose its what works for you.

I tried to incorporate the 3 finger grip into my drives last night and it seems to offer more control. My issue that was causing the disc to flutter the first 50' or so (OAT?) was my pinky catching the disc upon release.

Tucking the pinky into my palm has almost eliminated the flutter entirely. I see a little bit but not NEAR as bad as it was.

For me I always use a 3 finger grip. I thried going to a 4 finger grip just for power shots but I had almost the opposite effect of what is suppose to happen. I lost control when I switched to a 4 finger approach. I used a 3 finer grip forever now and I bomb shots with it and still have a on of control so it works for me.

3 finger grip for me. I use Climo's grip but leave the pinky out since it has been broken so many times it does not bend right.

I do find I have more control with the grip and the same distance.

Funny. I have the same issue w/ my pinkie but TRY to do 4 fingers although it seems to slip off more times than not.

When ever i drive, no matter the disc, i use 4 finger power grip. upshots i use a fan grip.