• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 vs 4 finger power grip (BH)

Over the years, I've gone from four to three too. It's just more comfortable. FWIW, I work with my hands a lot and near as I can figure (and sweetie agrees) my hands have become more muscular and less dexterous. The arthritis doesn't help either.

3 finger grip for me. I use Climo's grip but leave the pinky out since it has been broken so many times it does not bend right.

I do find I have more control with the grip and the same distance.

My little finger has been broken too many times too. My hand will cramp if I hold the 4 finger grip more than 5 seconds or so.

I use the 3 finger when accuracy is required and the 2 finger when I have more room to work.

I was using a 3 finger grip till this past friday when I sliced my 3rd finger open. Hurt too much to apply pressure so this weekend I played with a 3 finger grip anyways and had horrible shots. Switched to a two finger grip halfway through and was surprised at the results

Ive also been experimenting with the two finger grip, and my distance has increased considerably.

3 finger grip for me means more control, more distance.

3 or 4 finger grip - Pick one that feels natural and go with it. Peoples hands are different. Some folks just ain't got the hands for a 4 finger grip and that's ok. 3 fingers is just as controllable and offers only the advantage of more speed.

A person who naturally throws with 4 and goes to 3 for distance and loses control is not losing control because the 3 finger grip offers less control unpretentiously, only because they are not using their customary/natural grip.

I found that distance driving video interesting. It is mentioned that some dig distance guys have gone back to a 2 finger grip. Funny how things seem to go full circle. I guess I will stay fine with a 3 finger grip.

I have never seen another with a grip like mine.

I use three fingers, but they start with the second finger and end with the pinky. I place my first finger on top of the disc, along with my thumb.

Sometimes I think perhaps I should conform to the more conventional grip but I max out around 400ft with my longest measured drive, on flat ground, at 415ft. I have yet to play a course where controlled 375-400ft drives and sound putting wasn't enough to secure par.

I was using a 3 finger grip till this past friday when I sliced my 3rd finger open. Hurt too much to apply pressure so this weekend I played with a 3 finger grip anyways and had horrible shots. Switched to a two finger grip halfway through and was surprised at the results

I switched to a two finger grip for power drives and throw bosses and archons 350 accurately.

I still use three fingers for driving mids and putters in the 250 range.

But use all four fingers in a modified fan when actually putting at the basket.

Do what ever gets you the best snap and clean exit from the hand.

Today I kept torquing havocs over with a 4 finger power grip. Then I tried tucking my pinky into the three finger andit fixed that fast.

I found that distance driving video interesting. It is mentioned that some dig distance guys have gone back to a 2 finger grip. Funny how things seem to go full circle. I guess I will stay fine with a 3 finger grip.

They also mention very clearly that it is a bad idea for anything but distance. 2 fingers have the potential to get you alot of distance, but also the potential to let you fly off 45 degrees away from what you were aiming for.

I switched to a two finger grip for power drives and throw bosses and archons 350 accurately.

Sorry to tell you this, but at 350 you shouldnt even be throwing big rim drivers. You should go back to Leopards and work on your form. Having a 2 finger grip wont help that either.

Last edited:
. Sorry to tell you this, but at 350 you shouldnt even be throwing big rim drivers. You should go back to Leopards and work on your form. Having a 2 finger grip wont help that either.

Its true! I have been re-arranging my bag and my game and seeing epic results. One of the first things that I did was take my max weight boss and put it in a little slot off to the side for headwind drives only(175 star boss+25mph headwind =360 all day) and put a first run 172 esp nuke in its place... And next to that a 175 champ teebird... and a 175 champ leopard...and so on. the point is I can walk up to a throw and haiser flip any of the stated discs with twice the accuracy and 80% power and the concequences of a slightly botched ththrow are considerably less with a 0 2 or -2 1 disc than a -1 3. Every time i can make it there with a putter i putt... Every time i can make it with a leopard or tee bird, i do. If you can make a boss fly -1 3 and 350 you are generating enough power to throw a tee bird as far( in a mild cross wind, light headwind or still) and with that same power and a haiser flip i am throwing a esp first run nuke controlled 85-90% power, consistantly well over 400... Add a crossing tailwind and you are talking over 500 with the same huck!!! As for the thread i like three fingers with the pinkey tucked. Have a harder time getting the release point right with four fingers. I do have a really strong flick too 350+ wraith or max nuke, but only hook one finger???? Just the way i have always done it... If it aint broke...???

What heartman said...4 finger for control. 3 finger of you just want to try and throw a few feet further without accuracy.

What heartman said...4 finger for control. 3 finger of you just want to try and throw a few feet further without accuracy.

Anyone else use a partial fan grip for their mids??? i tend to keep my pointer and pinkey on the rim and slightly fan out my middle and index. Kind of a half power half fan for harder throws with them.

I still use three fingers for driving mids and putters in the 250 range.

But use all four fingers in a modified fan when actually putting at the basket.

Do what ever gets you the best snap and clean exit from the hand.

I have a friend who is a top ranked player and is very accurate at 450' plus with the two finger. It's kind of a stretched two finger. very unique